Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Belynda
Belynda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
EPUB and DRM

I have ordered the international kindle now it is available as my touch screen sony is dreadful for my old eyes.

I have a problem, I legally purchased many books from UK stores and have about 50 that I have not read yet. At the time I knew nothing about DRM!!! I have tried to convert them so that I may read them when kindle arrives. I learned from here that calibre was the programme to use. When I tried it I learned of DRM!! It said I need a 3 rd party application to remove DRM.

I feel very upset that as pensioner I now have either got to try to manage to read them on a screen that is unclear or lose them and pay for new books.
I have tried a couple of things that have been mentioned but I really do not understand how to do it, I need an idiots guide which I know you are not allowed to post.

I just wanted to rant, the books are my books and cost around 250 pounds if they were paper books I would be able to do as I pleased with them, either give them away or they could have been resold as used.
Belynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I wish I could post one for you. All I can do is advise you to google how to remove Adept DRM. You might find some links not on this site that will be helpful.

I'm sorry. I know it's frustrating. It shouldn't be legal, in my opinion. At the very least, the sellers should have to make it crystal clear that you're buying a license that is locked down. Sadly, stripping DRM for your own personal use to retain books that you purchased is illegal in some places. Here in the US, it's still up for debate.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yep, DRM sucks big time.

This thread may be of interest to you...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39423

Google 'Inept Epub'

The other option I suppose would be to go with a Sony instead of a Kindle. Sony's will work with your ePub's.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-19-2009 at 03:34 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented. This is one of the easier DRM stripping programs to use on a Windows PC, however you do have to install Python (version 2.6) and a Python library.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Since I've seen this sort of thing come up before, I've wondered what would happen if some helpful individual were to supply someone with detailed instructions, links, etc over the site's private message system. I'm assuming the admins/mods have zero access to any of that correspondence. Or am I mistaken there?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm sure the mods, or at least the server admin, has access to /all/ messages on this board. But I doubt that they go looking for things in the private messages.

But just because they're called Private Messages it doesn't mean they're completely private! Just not available to all and sundry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Since I've seen this sort of thing come up before, I've wondered what would happen if some helpful individual were to supply someone with detailed instructions, links, etc over the site's private message system. I'm assuming the admins/mods have zero access to any of that correspondence. Or am I mistaken there?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I'm assuming the admins/mods have zero access to any of that correspondence.
How would they even know?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How would they even know?
In most messageboards, the mods have access to private messages. They may or may not have access to private messages that have been deleted.

I knew of one board where the mods were prone to banning people for sending each other PMs that grumbled about mod calls. Very annoying.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Unfortunately, since you're buying a Kindle, the DRM issue is going to haunt you for a long time. Amazon uses it's own DRM scheme, and books from the Amazon store can only be read on a Kindle.

In your situation, I would highly recommend that you get a Sony PRS-505 or one of the other 6" readers that support ADE ePub. Amazon has a 30-day return policy.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Mods can see private messages, but they are only concerned about public boards being used to disseminate items which circumvent DRM or provide pirated material I believe.

DRM is also on the Kindle I am sure you are aware, so you might have to become adept at 'managing' it, luckily there are some pretty easy to use little apps around and we can help you find them!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Unfortunately, since you're buying a Kindle, the DRM issue is going to haunt you for a long time. Amazon uses it's own DRM scheme, and books from the Amazon store can only be read on a Kindle.
Or an iPhone or an iPod Touch.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belynda View Post
I have ordered the international kindle now it is available as my touch screen sony is dreadful for my old eyes.

I have a problem, I legally purchased many books from UK stores and have about 50 that I have not read yet. At the time I knew nothing about DRM!!! I have tried to convert them so that I may read them when kindle arrives. I learned from here that calibre was the programme to use. When I tried it I learned of DRM!! It said I need a 3 rd party application to remove DRM.

I feel very upset that as pensioner I now have either got to try to manage to read them on a screen that is unclear or lose them and pay for new books.
I have tried a couple of things that have been mentioned but I really do not understand how to do it, I need an idiots guide which I know you are not allowed to post.

I just wanted to rant, the books are my books and cost around 250 pounds if they were paper books I would be able to do as I pleased with them, either give them away or they could have been resold as used.
If these eBooks you have bought are in ePub, I suggest canceling the Kindle and getting a Sony PRS-600 instead. The 600 will handle the ePub eBooks with the DRM. The Kindle will not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If these eBooks you have bought are in ePub, I suggest canceling the Kindle and getting a Sony PRS-600 instead. The 600 will handle the ePub eBooks with the DRM. The Kindle will not.
He already has one, that is in fact the problem

That being said, near as I can tell is the screen of the international Kindle not all that much better than the one in the Sony Touch. I would suggest getting a 505 instead: cheaper, no DRM problems and from what I hear one of the best screens out there.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes DRM is a pain in the a$$ but there are ways, as I've learned over the last couple of months -- see the links and pointers above -- and as long as you are employing them for your own private use I see nothing wrong with using them. Simply protecting your investment. That said I certainly don't advocate it's use in illegal manners.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Just an FYI but what I did when I was in this same situation was looked for someone who has mentioned they had success with a similar set-up to me then PM'd them. They very generously helped me out via email.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote