I do it with the little finger. 1 1.08%
I do it with all my fingers (please explain) 2 2.15%
I do it with a toe 1 1.08%
I use another way (please specify) 2 2.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Page Turn Gesture: Yes/No, Which side and which finger?

I personally use the left-to-right, swiping with my right thumb, although I find pretty comfortable the buttons when I hold the Reader with my left hand.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I far prefer the buttons, and exclusively use the stylus to operate the screen. I can't bear to use a screen with fingerprints on it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yes, I hate it when those bears get all up on my screen. Stupid bears.

(dedicated buttons FTW)
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Early days here as I have only had the 600 for a couple of days. One thing I noticed was that to start with my right hand automatically went up to the right hand corner of the 600 to turn the page - as though I was reading a real book.
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
AmboCS
AmboCS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600BC
Haha I completely understand NSqirrel - I had to change the direction to 'Right to Left' just because it felt more like actually 'turning a page'...
AmboCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I hold my 'touch screen' reader with my left hand, and swipe my left thumb left to right (an arc actually) to turn the page.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Yes, I hate it when those bears get all up on my screen. Stupid bears.

(dedicated buttons FTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I hold my 'touch screen' reader with my left hand, and swipe my left thumb left to right (an arc actually) to turn the page.
i do the same thing, but opposite, with my right hand.

i very occasionally use the buttons (depending on my position), but so rarely that i voted for "i use it (exclusive use)". i like the touch screen because it effectively allows you to create your own dedicated buttons wherever they are most convenient for you. excellent ergonomy.

also, i apparently have unnaturally clean fingers, because i've never had a problem with fingerprints or smudges on my screen.

when i first got my 700 the left-to-right swipe seemed so completely natural to me that i didn't even think of changing it. (in graphic design, left-to-right is the direction which communicates moving forward, going towards the future, etc., so it seemed quite natural to use it to go "forward" in the book). then one day someone said to me "that makes no sense, it a paper book it's the other direction / you should be "pushing" the current page off the screen (to the left, into the past...) to reveal the next screen" and naturally since then i sometimes get confused (only when giving a demo, of course. when i'm reading it's quite instinctive and i don't even think about it). even so, i still prefer left-to-right, because for me, physically it's more comfortable than the inverse.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
I occasionally use the buttons in unusual positions, but 99% of the time I page swipe - at an angle, with my thumb.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I mostly use the buttons but sometimes depending on the angle at which I am holding the book I use the swipe. I did change the swipe to right to left and that feels more natural although I have a macbook and use the touchpad swipe from left to right to advance pages on the computer.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I find that swiping with my knuckle (usually the middle finger) has more consistent (good) results that a finger tip ... and little smudging. Fingernail works too, but for some reason, I find the knuckle just more comfortable.

If I'm holding the book in my hand, though, it's almost always the buttons. It's only when I have the Reader propped up against something I swipe.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Yes, my gesture too is more an arc than anything else
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
I mostly use the buttons but sometimes depending on the angle at which I am holding the book I use the swipe. I did change the swipe to right to left and that feels more natural although I have a macbook and use the touchpad swipe from left to right to advance pages on the computer.

Mel
hm, very interesting. did you change that parameter yourself, or is it by default set to that direction ? i ask, because in a discussion recently a friend showed me on his iphone that to "turn pages" (really, to move through a set of photos, but same concept) you swipe from right to left to "push the old photo out of the way" (his explanation). i imagine you can modify that gesture (i don't know for sure) but i think that was the default. it would be surprising if another apple device uses the opposite direction as default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Yes, my gesture too is more an arc than anything else
yep, mine too. hard not too, given the nature of the thumb anatomy.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I far prefer the buttons, and exclusively use the stylus to operate the screen. I can't bear to use a screen with fingerprints on it!
I hardly ever touch screens with my fingers, for the same reason. Only on my PDA and JE100 do I sometimes use my finger, but I have a screen protector on those and it's very difficult to leave a fingerprint on that (anti-glare).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

i do the same thing, but opposite, with my right hand.

i very occasionally use the buttons (depending on my position), but so rarely that i voted for "i use it (exclusive use)". i like the touch screen because it effectively allows you to create your own dedicated buttons wherever they are most convenient for you. excellent ergonomy.

also, i apparently have unnaturally clean fingers, because i've never had a problem with fingerprints or smudges on my screen.

when i first got my 700 the left-to-right swipe seemed so completely natural to me that i didn't even think of changing it. (in graphic design, left-to-right is the direction which communicates moving forward, going towards the future, etc., so it seemed quite natural to use it to go "forward" in the book). then one day someone said to me "that makes no sense, it a paper book it's the other direction / you should be "pushing" the current page off the screen (to the left, into the past...) to reveal the next screen" and naturally since then i sometimes get confused (only when giving a demo, of course. when i'm reading it's quite instinctive and i don't even think about it). even so, i still prefer left-to-right, because for me, physically it's more comfortable than the inverse.
You and I must have the same type of fingers because I very rarely get fingerprints on my screen. I will admit that I wash my hands a lot. Dealing with children, it's a necessity.

I hadn't thought about the swipe direction before. I stuck with the left to right, as well. Now, however, I am thinking of giving the "pushing" swipe a try. Going from L-to-R didn't bother me on the 700, but since the 600 now has a raised frame, I've had to readjust my swipe so that my thumb doesn't encounter the rim and it feels unnatural. I know it sounds silly, but when you start getting arthritis in your thumb joints, any uncommon movements can be painful.

Thanks for the tip, Zelda (and friend)!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
You and I must have the same type of fingers because I very rarely get fingerprints on my screen. I will admit that I wash my hands a lot. Dealing with children, it's a necessity.
yes, i imagine washing them regularly is at least partly responsible in my case as well.

Quote:
I hadn't thought about the swipe direction before. I stuck with the left to right, as well. Now, however, I am thinking of giving the "pushing" swipe a try. Going from L-to-R didn't bother me on the 700, but since the 600 now has a raised frame, I've had to readjust my swipe so that my thumb doesn't encounter the rim and it feels unnatural. I know it sounds silly, but when you start getting arthritis in your thumb joints, any uncommon movements can be painful.
you know, i also am a bit annoyed by the raised edge of the frame on the 600. i don't know why they made it that way. it doesn't bother me enough to change my use, but occasionally i bump into it and think "sheesh, design flaw, sony !" i really wonder what possibly could have made them build it that way.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, Zelda (and friend)!
i'll let him know you found it interesting. i'll be interested to hear how you like the new direction ; i obviously use that sometimes (when i want to go backwards in the book) and i don't find it unbearably uncomfortable but i still prefer to keep the left to right for what i do the most often.

Tags
page turn gesture, prs-600, touch screen