Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
dirtylc
Enthusiast
dirtylc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 (the best one!)
Boycott all books over 9.99!!

The thread is self explanatory. We are getting ripped off for content and as consumers we should speak out. There are 700+ posts over at the Amazon site that agree with the movement what do you think?
dirtylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtylc View Post
The thread is self explanatory. We are getting ripped off for content and as consumers we should speak out. There are 700+ posts over at the Amazon site that agree with the movement what do you think?
A boycott is unlikely to be effective. What might be effective is if everyone who didn't buy an ebook because of the high price (or the DRM) wrote a letter or sent an email to the publishers informing them of their decision.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sometimes I can't help myself and when I want something I pay the $12.99 because I want it NOW
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Yes, ebook prices *are* too high IMHO. However, Amazon is not the culprit here. Check prices for the same ebooks elsewhere in Mobi or other formats.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Meh.

Boycotts usually accomplish nothing other than generate publicity. Remember there is no such thing as "bad" publicity.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No, I disagree. Publishers and authors deserve to be paid and should be able to charge as much as they can sell their work for.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Remember there is no such thing as "bad" publicity.
How about 'Wanted Dead or Alive' posters?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Most of the books over $9.99 at Amazon aren't the "new releases" fiction books they advertise. They're non-fiction, tech books, etc. I paid $16 for a tech book that was $45 in paper. I'm not feeling cheated. I've seen some new-releases start a little higher and then the price gets corrected, too. I think most of the stuff I see about this is just internet exaggeration. I've been hearing people on blogs and forums that don't have a Kindle talking about how they're dumping the $9.99 thing when it's just not true. I saw the original article on this and it had an utterly inflammatory headline to that effect and if you actually read the article they explained a lot of what I just said.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I've been hearing people on blogs and forums that don't have a Kindle talking about how they're dumping the $9.99 thing when it's just not true. I saw the original article on this and it had an utterly inflammatory headline to that effect and if you actually read the article they explained a lot of what I just said.
Indeed.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yes, ebook prices *are* too high IMHO. However, Amazon is not the culprit here. Check prices for the same ebooks elsewhere in Mobi or other formats.
Amazon owns Mobipocket. So any of the high Mobipocket format prices does make Amazon the culprit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I think that if the price is significantly lower than the price for a hardback version, then I'm getting a good deal. Even if that price is over $9.99.

Good luck with your boycott.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon owns Mobipocket. So any of the high Mobipocket format prices does make Amazon the culprit.
Mobipocket has a deal with Mobipocket booksellers not to undercut their prices. They don't necessarily have a choice about the price.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Mobipocket has a deal with Mobipocket booksellers not to undercut their prices. They don't necessarily have a choice about the price.
But the prices at other shops can still be expensive. And that can be Amazon's fault since they have the right to lower prices on Mobipocket format eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Just to add some facts to the discussion here is a link to the original Consumerist article I mentioned and here are the figures given:

Quote:
One Kindle owner on the above-mentioned discussion used jungle-search.com to sort titles by price, and posted that as of January 22nd, 2009, 29.65% of the books sold on the Kindle Store are priced above $9.99. Another forum poster broke it down by category:

Fiction 2%
Mystery/Thrillers 3%
Romance 1%
Literary Fiction 2%
Nonfiction 50%
Biography 15%
Computer/Internet 80%
Considering their promise is that all NYT best sellers and most new releases would be $9.99, I don't see the problem. They never promised that all books would be $9.99. I think 98% of all fiction being $9.99 or less is a pretty good fulfilment of their claims.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Soon as my local library jumps onto the e-book wagon I won't be buying many books.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote