Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
What to expect from new Cybook firmware upgrade

Hi everyone!

As most of you probably already knows, Bookeen will realease Cybook's latest firmware upgrade early this year - wich means, I hope, in the next few days.

Last September, Bookeen promised "new directory view", "improved Mobipocket, HTML and TXT support" and "new languages".

Many (too many...) months have passed since.

What can we realistically expect now?

The new directory view is a must (almost every critic points that), so I think Bookeen will finally make it happen.

But what about other improvements (besides the improved stability)?

What about other formats (epub?...)
What about pages numbering (is it really impossible to implement?)...

I truly believe a serious firmware upgrade (a, say, 2.0 version) could put the Cybook ahead of any other ebook reader. It seems, however, that Bookeen as been unable to release it. Can we expect it now?

Regards!
Nelson
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Directory structure and I'm happy. They don't need to do anything else apart from bugfixes.

If they really want they can go for some kind of always on mode meaning there's no need to boot up or shut it down. I think I saw it mentioned the Sony has that, but I've not looked into how it works.

Formats like .lit would be nice, but for a book that takes many hours to read, I can live with spending a couple of minutes format switching.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not bothered about directory structure personally. "Sort by author" on the existing library screen would be nice, as would enhanced HTML support (at the very minimum, supporting hyperlinks within the same file!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
How man… I do begin to sound like a broken record, but what a hell…

1 - ePub
2 - Reflowing PDF’s - with the level of quality, at least, one get’s from the pocketpc Acrobat reader!
3 - and if I do care to dream -> possibility to configure the size of the margins in the reader, at least for Mobipocket files.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Do I dare hope for folders? I have in the past and been so disappointed....what has it been now? A year? Waiting patiently for folders....oh, and yeah, it would be nice if that button that is reserved for Delete actually did SOMETHING - maybe let me program it to do something useful.....

I honestly don't want to get my hopes up. If I have no expectations then I won't be disappointed....and I'm afraid that you'll be waiting a lot longer than you expect for this promised update.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I have no expectations at all. I think OpenInkpot will give us folders faster. For people that read more than one book at the time being able to switch fast between books is essential and folders will solve this problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I got an email from Bookeen back in October saying that of my wish list, the following would be in the next firmware release:

* Battery life shown on book pages
* Easily read while charging
* Goto Page... for library view
* Sort by Author option

* Folder display in library
* PDF reflow

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=47

Hopefully we'll see it sometime in January, since it didn't make it for my guess of December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
Hi everyone!

As most of you probably already knows, Bookeen will realease Cybook's latest firmware upgrade early this year - wich means, I hope, in the next few days.

Last September, Bookeen promised "new directory view", "improved Mobipocket, HTML and TXT support" and "new languages".

Many (too many...) months have passed since.

What can we realistically expect now?

The new directory view is a must (almost every critic points that), so I think Bookeen will finally make it happen.

But what about other improvements (besides the improved stability)?

What about other formats (epub?...)
What about pages numbering (is it really impossible to implement?)...

I truly believe a serious firmware upgrade (a, say, 2.0 version) could put the Cybook ahead of any other ebook reader. It seems, however, that Bookeen as been unable to release it. Can we expect it now?

Regards!
Nelson
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hmmm...as far as I remember the promised the update in the first part of the year. That means anywhere in the next six months minus one day.

I don't need folder view. The only thing I need is the possibility to sort on the meta tags inside a mobi file as all my books are in mobi format. Remember NO mobi reader on any platform has folder view, the format doesn't need it as they can sort on all the important tags. So the Cybook would be the first to implement a folder view.

Sorting by Author is something I am doing now. That is easy because you can sort by filename and I have my books in directories with the name of the author

Page numbers are something from the past just as vinyl records. I don't care about them.

PDF reflow? Perhaps I wil start using the format if it is usable. Otherwise? I never use it anyway.

ePub? Why do I need it I can perfectly read my books without it, I'm happy with mobi.

Reading while charging? Hmm...I'm not against it. But for me it isn't an issue. I charge when I'm not reading.

Setting the margins YES!!! that would be nice

A small clock would be great!

Last edited by Ortep; 01-01-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Remember NO mobi reader on any platform has folder view, the format doesn't need it as they can sort on all the important tags. So the Cybook would be the first to implement a folder view.
The iLiad and Hanlin V3 both have folder support and MOBI support. In both cases they had folders before MOBI, and folders are their primary (only) navigation aid.

If you use Windows MobiPocket Reader to manage your MOBI ebooks, then they will always be in a single folder - since WMR does not "do" folders. On the iLiad, the mobipocket ebook folder has to be treated differently from all others to allow WMR to function. This is more to do with the iLiad's peculiar "manifest.xml" scheme than anything else though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The iLiad and Hanlin V3 both have folder support and MOBI support. In both cases they had folders before MOBI, and folders are their primary (only) navigation aid.
The Jetbook also has folder support... however, they do not yet support mobi... but there have been rumors that they soon will.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The MobiPocket reader on my phone and on my PDA has folder support also since you can browse folders and add and remove books from the library view.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Tradition has it that on this first day of the year, we make resolution for the coming year...

I hope that I will be able to browse the Fictionwise website without buying new books... I am about 50 or 60 books behind all the time... Damn the New York Times Best Seller's list... Good thing I am not reading the leading UK papers yet because that number of books unread would be even larger... Those Micropay dollars are just burning through my fingers... I have to spend them...

Please Booken ! Come up with something in the next Firmware update. I am not asking for much... Not the full folder support, but just a way of marking "Read" and "Unread"

I will be forever gratefull !!!

Happy New Year to all from the land of the cold! -18c on my little insland in the province of Quebec, Canada. But I am reading my Cybook by the wood stove! Life is good!

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I wonder what is the standard day of a Bookeen's programmer.

(8:30) - Bye, honey. Gonna work!
(9:05) - Hello everyone!
(9:40) - Gonna grab a cup of coffe and resume my work on the next firmware.
(10:30) - Here we go. How am I gonna do this? Humm... I think I'll check my emails. If the boss arrives, I'll say I'm doing some website's mantainence.
(11:50) - Oh my, time passes. Luch time!
(14:12) - So where was I? Folder view... Humm... Too complicated. And it's been 11 months only. My contract is ending in February, I'll delay this so that they'll have to renew me. Yeah!
(14:30) - Oh, a new email... pdurrant? Hum... I'll just say everything will be in the next firmware update. Mwah ah ah ah ah ah ah. Like... Never! lol rofles !!!!!!1111one
(16:50) - Gosh! Just to answer the above email, took me the whole afternoon. Time to go!

Repeat.

Last edited by Over; 01-01-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

Configure the size of the margins - you are right! That would be very, VERY usefull!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

Over, you really made my day!!! :-)

Anyway, I think you are being a little too pessimistic!

I hope a new firmware in the next few days indeed - before ending the programmers contract... :-)

But then, I am called an optimistic...

One thing: I do not think page numbers are a thing of the past - the are a usefull way of knowing where you are in a book, and a very less distracting one then the progress bar (pageometer).
Also, I would very much like a more discret header - but this really not very important.

Regards
Nelson

Tags
cybook, firmware, upgrade