Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
_A Fire Upon The Deep_ by Vernor Vinge

I just finished A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge and wanted to give a very short review for those who haven't read this.

Absolutely brilliant! This is definitely one of the best real *science* fiction novels I've ever read and I'd say one of the best books from any genre I've ever read. There are countless plot summaries out there and many more comments that pick apart the book so I'll leave that out here.

Very, very good read - highly recommended.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Fully agreed. And the sequel A Deepness in the Sky is as good, if not better.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
"A Deepness in the Sky" is a prequel.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've heard mixed things about the prequel - should I ignore what I've heard and just read it now while _A Fire Upon The Deep_ is fresh in my mind?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it's very good. I recommend it.
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think both books could easily stand alone. My preference was Fire Upon the Deep, but Deepness was also good. As a matter of fact, a week or so ago when I was cleaning the bookshelves, I decided Deepness could not be rehabilitated and tossed it out. (I have a history of cruelty to books, slicing them into many smaller volumes in order to make them easier to hold.)

I think maybe it is time to get Fire and re-read it. Thanks for the reminder!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I think both books could easily stand alone. My preference was Fire Upon the Deep, but Deepness was also good. As a matter of fact, a week or so ago when I was cleaning the bookshelves, I decided Deepness could not be rehabilitated and tossed it out. (I have a history of cruelty to books, slicing them into many smaller volumes in order to make them easier to hold.)
*shudders*

I don't think I could bring myself to cut up a book I liked. That's just wrong - wrong I tell you!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
*shudders*

I don't think I could bring myself to cut up a book I liked. That's just wrong - wrong I tell you!
Even worse.... I slap them back together with a rubber band, then usually either share or donate. The first time a new friends gets "gifted" with one, I always have to explain about the sliced/dogeared/crumpled/swollen from getting soaked condition.

But the words still taste the same!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!

Speaking of Fire Upon the Deep, Nate's pup looks like I imagine the pups in the story.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Shadowplay
Groupie

Hehe I have a totally different image in mind for the Tines
Old 06-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Hehe I have a totally different image in mind for the Tines
Do tell?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Speaking of Fire Upon the Deep, Nate's pup looks like I imagine the pups in the story.
I should have named her "Tines".

She has recently developed a new endearing habit. She decided she likes to sleep on top of my blankets instead of beneath. The only problem with this is that when her feet get cold she tries to shove them under me. This is not a good way to be woken up at 3 am.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Shadowplay
Groupie

Well...

* * * MILD SPOILER ALERT * * *

See there were enough comments about the elongated necks plus remember that at first Johanna thought they looked much more like giant rats (R.O.U.S. anyone? hehe) than dogs. So I really made myself stop and picture them instead of falling into picturing medium sized dogs. By the end of the book there I really wanted to have a long conversation with Peregrine (the Pilgrim) because he would be so fascinating to talk with.

Oh and totally branching off the main conversation here (forced pun, watch for it!) how 'bout the Skroderiders? I've never been so emotionally involved with a rolling, talking plant! I realized several times that I kept picturing them too small! What sold that point strongest to me was near the very end of the book...

* * * HEAVIER SPOILER * * *

...when Blueshell carried Amdijefri (all 8 members of Amdi's pack plus Jefri) on his skrode. That really tells you just how big the Skroderiders must be. I kept picturing these little potted ferns that were only a couple feet tall, but these guys have to be more like 5 feet or more tall *plus* the height of the skrode and the width has to be at least 5 feet square I'd think, maybe more. I don't remember Vinge ever telling us exact dimensions though.

* * * END SPOILERS * * *

Ok enough rambling for me
Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Both great books, both Hugo Award winners. I actually started reading science fiction again after stumbling into "A Fire Upon The Deep." Here I am now, 3 e-book devices later and two hundred books down the line...Thanks, Vernor!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I've been looking for an ebook version of this for some time. Anyone know where to get it (nonDarknet)?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote