Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #61
Higgles
Higgles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
2bits, are there any issues with the Home page on the mini? I haven't tried any of the 3.x firmwares as people mentioned about issues with these and the mini in terms of some of the screens being displayed at the wrong resolution.
Higgles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #62
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
homepage - 3.3.0 firmware on mini

I have no problem with the home page.

Not as beautiful as on other models
but workable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-homepage.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	122043  
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #63
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Well used the show header and footer options that David posted about. Works like a charm on my Aura HD. Noticed a New tile (new for me at least) Opened collections and selected a collection to check out the books and see if it was worth reading at the moment, and now have a tile with 3books icon and the title Collection and the name of the Collection I opened on the home screen that brings me to the collection I opened and from there I can select the back button that takes me directly back to the Collections home screen. Has this been there all the time since tiles were added or is this a new option? I like it

Regards

Jacks
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #64
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
mini - 3.3.0 - no header no footer

For those who care ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-mini-no-header-footer.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	122044  
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #65
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The ə (schwa) character usually seen in the dictionary's phonetic spelling is now larger. It used to be tiny, now it appears slightly too large and in a different font. Not quite ideal, but an improvement.

3.3.0 is faster than 3.2.0, about the same as 3.1.1 except the processing time when adding new books is still very slow.

The flashing screen when going to sleep is still there, but not as bad as it was in 3.2.0.

Edit: The flash when going to sleep is just like the page refresh when reading a book, but longer duration. It is not an irritating flash like in 3.2.0, and it clears the ghost of the sleep screen which other 3.x.x versions didn't do.

There is a new library librmsdk.so.1.0.0 in the firmware archive. Is this the Adobe RMSDK for the new DRM?

Edit: I don't think this is the new RMSDK, just the functions of the old one removed from libnickel and put in their own library.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-26-2014 at 09:16 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #66
sonofthe
sonofthe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Here is what I know has changed in 3.3.0:

• Percent read for kepubs is being displayed correctly on the Touch.

Just manually updated to 3.3.0 on Touch and I'm still experiencing percent error in kepubs. 0% read in book, 1% read on home and sleep screens.
sonofthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #67
gourix
gourix began at the beginning.

Thanx for your answer but I consider that I don't have to do such a thing. It's a bug that has to be fixed.
And I can say that 3.3 fixes that bug ! Cool ! A lot of people had this issue since 3.0. Now my password is not erased.
gourix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:01 AM   #68
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My quick testing says that a one uSD card that had issues is now recognized. Unfortunately, another uSD card that didn't have issues now shows the format as FAT32 message but works if you just continue on. With such a limited sample, could just be coincidence.
Thanks, Davidfor, thanks, David!
Only to clarify: Fw. 3.2.0 works stable so far, only that there happens nothing with the uSD card when I start the reader from the "off"-mode - absolutely nothing, no error message, no books, nothing. So, I pull the books that I am actually reading from the uSD card to main memory, and everything's allright. Only: Of what use is the uSD-card then?
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #69
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
Thanks, Davidfor, thanks, David!
Only to clarify: Fw. 3.2.0 works stable so far, only that there happens nothing with the uSD card when I start the reader from the "off"-mode - absolutely nothing, no error message, no books, nothing. So, I pull the books that I am actually reading from the uSD card to main memory, and everything's allright. Only: Of what use is the uSD-card then?
The card isn't recognised when you power on the Touch. But, if you eject it and insert it again, it is recognised and the books on it are available. Personally, I rarely power off my Kobo devices, so I rarely see it. In fact, the main reasons my Touch has been turned off in the last few months has been to test this bug.

And I see the "not FAT" error a lot when I insert the card. But, it always works so I ignore it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #70
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
I usually power the device off, because I take it often with me, and I try to avoid any surprize by maintaining it stand-by.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #71
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unbelievable, the show/hide header and footer option works...
My biggest fustration has been solved. Thanks, Kobo.

P.S. All the options/text shown on the Reading Settings page doesn't fit onto one page. I don't mind as full screen mode is still experimental.

Thanks again, Kobo for putting this feature in.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #72
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question dictionaries

I've just realized that calling up a definition from a book works differently. It is much quicker and more pleasant than with the versions preceding 3.2.0 (which I skipped) for short definitions ,but I miss the full page version for long definitions. Does anybody know how to call it? I'm seriously annoyed to have a link to facebook instead. Who the hell wants to share their looking for a definition? Just like Amazon proposing that I share that I bought dust bags.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #73
MrChrisL
MrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura
Man, it's taking seemingly forever to process my sideloaded books. Anybody else have this issue? I also experienced it in 3.2.0 and was hoping for it to be fixed in 3.3.0. May just have to go back to 3.1.0 :/

I should mention that the update wasn't available to me, so I updated using the files from the direct links thread. That shouldn't cause any problems, right?
MrChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisL View Post
Man, it's taking seemingly forever to process my sideloaded books. Anybody else have this issue? I also experienced it in 3.2.0 and was hoping for it to be fixed in 3.3.0. May just have to go back to 3.1.0 :/

I should mention that the update wasn't available to me, so I updated using the files from the direct links thread. That shouldn't cause any problems, right?
Welcome to the unhappy crowd. 3.3.0 is slightly faster than 3.2.0 but that's damning with faint praise.

When I was forced to do a factory reset on my Aura HD yesterday due to issues I caused playing with the advboot rcs script trying to make it work with 3.3.0, I updated to 3.1.1 after the reset, inserted the uSD card, let it process the books and then did the update to 3.3.0.

Possibly related is the slow opening of the table of contents -- 4-8 seconds.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #75
MrChrisL
MrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Welcome to the unhappy crowd. 3.3.0 is slightly faster than 3.2.0 but that's damning with faint praise.

When I was forced to do a factory reset on my Aura HD yesterday due to issues I caused playing with the advboot rcs script trying to make it work with 3.3.0, I updated to 3.1.1 after the reset, inserted the uSD card, let it process the books and then did the update to 3.3.0.

Possibly related is the slow opening of the table of contents -- 4-8 seconds.

Regards,
David
Yea, it does seem a bit snappier compared to 3.2.0, after that initial book processing session, of course. And great tip on processing them on an older firmware prior to upgrading. I'll try to remember that for next time :P
MrChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware 3.3.0, glo