Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
lilheliottin
lilheliottin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
MathML and some other question

I got my Aura HD a few weeks ago. It is my 1st ebook reader ever, so I'll warn you that I'm a total noob and perhaps I'll say a lot of idiocies.
I would like to use the device also for reading math and physics books. I have a small book in XHTML (which uses MathML for the coding of the formulas) and I uploaded it on the device with calibre, but the latter puts the file in a ZIP and then I couldn't see it in the shelves (from the Kobo).

{ Can the Kobo Aura open zip archives? Is there a way to tell calibre to upload the XHTML flat and not compressed? }

I converted using calibre the XHTML book in EPUB (I think calibre manages only EPUB 2 but ain't no sure). Btw, Calibre visualizes it perfectly, I read that it utilizes some js library called MathJax. The problem is that the Kobo Aura HD doesn't visualize the maths properly as if MathML wouldn't be supported on the device.

{Am I doing something wrong? If not, is there a way, ANY WAY (tweaks and hax are welcome), to install MathJax, MathML or something that would do the job on the Kobo?}

Last, I read that the EPUB3 format includes MathML support by default.

{Does the Kobo Aura HD support EPUB3? If not, is an update for its support scheduled in the near future?}

Thanks in advance to whoever will be so patient to read and answer to my silly questions.
lilheliottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
I don't think there is anything that you can install on Kobo device itself.
But maybe you can convert your book to pdf, it would hopefully display better.
Good Luck
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilheliottin View Post
{Am I doing something wrong? If not, is there a way, ANY WAY (tweaks and hax are welcome), to install MathJax, MathML or something that would do the job on the Kobo?}
You can try including the JS of MathJax inside your eBook. It is a lot of work, the size of the file explodes, and the result is not guaranteed to be successful.

Quote:
To be precise, EPUB 3 requires support for (a restricted subset of) Presentation MathML, while support for Content MathML is optional.

Quote:
{Does the Kobo Aura HD support EPUB3? If not, is an update for its support scheduled in the near future?}
Kobo declared that they will support EPUB 3 by the end of 2013. With a rigorous reading of EPUB 3 specs, this means that they will support Presentation MathML. Definitely this can be achieved through a firmware update, if they will find a way of implementing it into their rendering engine.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

Kobo supports a subset of the epub 3 features. I don't know about MathML, but you can download a sample epub here. You have to rename it to linear-algebra-20120306.kepub.epub to make epub 3 features work.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I don't know if this will help but this thread deals with converting MathML to SVG.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146080

Covers seem to use SVG so perhaps it would be possible to try this route.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Kobo supports a subset of the epub 3 features. I don't know about MathML, but you can download a sample epub here. You have to rename it to linear-algebra-20120306.kepub.epub to make epub 3 features work.
MathML support on my Glo (and the same should apply to Aura) is quite bad; in particular, the placement of elements in complex structures (e.g., systems of equations) is very problematic. Even some sub/super scripts are wrong.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote