Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
Amazon E-Books for Sony

Sorry if this question is answered elsewhere. I have a Sony 950 & was looking @ Amazon & considering purchasing a couple of books. Can the Amazon books be purchasd for other e-readers than a Kindle? I usually purchase e-pub; but, they only say Kindle e-book. I am confused. Thanks for any assistance.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Hi, Amazon books only work with Kindles.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thank you Scion; I thought that was the case. How do you like your Kindle Fire? I am considering purchasing one. Can I load my e-pub books I purchased from Sony onto the Fire? I have had an issue with the Sony not being recognized on my new HP Beats laptop (msg says USB not recognized when I plug it in) & it has been frustrating having to get my old laptop out everytime I want to do something with the Sony e-reader. Sony was kind enough to replace the reader; but it still does not work and HP and Windows state it is not their issue either--so, I am stuck.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I really like the Fire, but I don't think it's a replacement for an eInk device. But to answer your question, yes, you can install an app that reads ePubs. Your epub books wouldn't be read by the Kindle Fire's reader app, so they won't show up in the books section.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Hi, Amazon books only work with Kindles.
This is true, but only to some degree. I have a Sony and constantly buy and read Amazon ebooks for it and on it.

You can achieve this by either rooting your PRS-T1 and installing the kindle app on it or by buying and downloading amazon books with your PC, free them of DRM (google Apprentice Alf) and then transfer the book onto your Sony (or any other ereader) and read it with the regular reading app.
Both maybe sounds scary, but believe me, once you know the trick, it's really quick and easy.
There is ample information in the wiki (see my signature) and you can always ask in the Sony forums here for help.

PS: Also, be aware, that the fire is NOT an eInk device: More eyestrain (at least for me and many others) and much shorter battery life.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
+1 for what vishcompany said. I have had two Sony readers, and have had the occasional download of a kindlebook that I wanted to put on the Sony. It's just a matter of (1) strip drm, then (2) convert to epub via calibre (or other ebook converter of your choice).

THis is much like the process I've gone through downloading books from B&N. Remove DRM.... it's already in epub format, so once DRM is gone it it ready to transfer to your Sony without any further modification needed.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Thank you to everyone for your help, this site is remarkable with so many people willing to assist. I will try your suggestions; I looked at Apprentice ALF and it is a little confusing to me (I do not know alot about computers). First I will need to get my HP to recognize the Sony--msg "USB Not Recognized". Sony was kind enough to replace my unit; but the msg continues with this one. Electronics can be frustrating, sometimes I say I will just go back to hardcover--but, then I know I do not mean that (although I still enjoy reading hardcover occasionally). Thanks again.