Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
Does kobo support pdf reflow?

I just read a kobo ereader review. It said that when you enlarge the pdf font size, it cannot intelligently reformat the content to make it within the screen size. That is, the line is longer than the screen. You have to pan and scroll to read. It's really tedious.

If this is true, kobo does not support pdf single page reflow.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
I tried it today (I posted in the "Let's Share Kobo First Impressions") posts. Based on my experience with my pdfs on an sd card that I took to the store it does not support reflow.

Sadly (since I want to like this device) it is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully a future firmware upgrade will deal with this.
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
This is absolutely true. I do mostly pdf and it is driving me crazy and it makes it even slower. The reason I bought the KOBO was because of pdf - thinking of returning it, if I can.

Some workaround which you may like, is to view in landscape mode.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
hgreen
hgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
So you are able to open pdfs in landscape? Is there a menu option for that?
hgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Yes.
Display button whilst pdf is open. You have magnification and Orientation
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
hgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
Yes.
Display button whilst pdf is open. You have magnification and Orientation
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
Exactly. However, if you expand beyond the size you again be faced with the virtual screen.
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Since Kobo is using mobile Adobe Digital Editions as its reading engine, it is surprising that it does not support reflow (which is a standard option for mobile ADE). The only other ADE licensees that I am aware of that do not support PDF reflow are Amazon (Kindle) and Bookeen (e.g. Cybook Gen3). The best implementations of ADE PDF (e.g. PocketBook) support both reflow and zooming (with many more zoom options than Kobo).

I have updated the E-book Reader Matrix for Kobo, but the "PDF Capabilities" column may be incomplete (compare it to the Cybook column). Does the Kobo handle PDF TOC's and/or hyperlinks within the PDF for example? How about cropping the margins of PDFs? In general, feel free to update the Kobo column of the Matrix, or reply here and I'll do it.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-02-2010 at 12:21 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
hgreen

Here is a helpful review from the Indigo online store:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereadi...14-Review.html

Sounds like this will more than meet my needs for pdf reading.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
adsam
adsam began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I have no trouble if I increase the font size I still get the full text but less per page, because of the larger print. My one problem is the book needs to be recharged too often although I believe they have a patch to correct that problem either on line or at the store where the book was ptchased
adsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
What does ADE have to do with reflow? Unless I'm badly misunderstanding the technology, I thought a PDF had to be tagged to support it by the author first.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
If I recall correctly, the developers have said that PDF reflow might be added in a future update, but certainly not in the next firmware update.

Quite frankly, viewing a PDF which is anything other than a comic or manga is a pain. A great pain. Converting from PDF is a great pain too. Luckily, the majority of my books are either ePub or are in other eBook formats easily converted to ePub.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #13
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
If I recall correctly, the developers have said that PDF reflow might be added in a future update, but certainly not in the next firmware update.

Quite frankly, viewing a PDF which is anything other than a comic or manga is a pain. A great pain. Converting from PDF is a great pain too. Luckily, the majority of my books are either ePub or are in other eBook formats easily converted to ePub.
Especially pdf files that, converted to epub look like this:

I am writing this just to show you how it looks
on epub when
hard end lines are included.

If the book is important, nothing could stop me to read it.
Else? I'll read another one.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote