Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #106
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I don't know if the uninstall would still work, now that you have tried various copying things.
Yes, it did, fortunately, and then re-installing indeed worked too.
This Android thing is more complicated than it looks! For me, plain Unix is much simpler :-)
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #107
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stino View Post
First I try "minimal-root" and later "minimal-set-1" without success. Than I saw "cp: write error: No space left on device" inside /mnt/sdcard/script.log and take a look here in the thread again.

I found out that I need to reset my device with "restore-set" and give the "minimal-set-1" another try. And finally I can use "su" and Superuser.apk now to get root rights. Thanks for your good work.

Now I can explore the fonts problem again.
With "mount" I saw that /ebook/font is an cramfs from /mnt/block/mmcblk2p5

I try to remount it rw but this was not possible. In internet they wrote cramfs is only for readonly using. Than I make an copy from /ebook/fonts to /ebook/fonts2 with the plan to unmount /ebook/fonts and than create a normal folder of it from my copy font2. But unfortunly an umount of /ebook/fonts was not possible. Any ideas why unmount not work? Or other ideas how I can install my own fonts in /ebook/fonts (maybe create an own mmcblk2p5)?
I'm wondering if it's possible to replace a font in the directory /ebook/fonts.
I'd like to replace a Chinese font. Thanks.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #108
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpizza View Post
I'm wondering if it's possible to replace a font in the directory /ebook/fonts.
I'd like to replace a Chinese font. Thanks.
The CRAMFS filesystem images cannot be edited "on the fly". They must be regenerated on another computer. I hope you realize this before you start messing with those fonts. Yes, the fonts filesystem can be reflashed, but you need to know what you are doing first.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #109
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Perfectviewer works perfectly (on the contrary of ebookdroid) and it is very nice for reading comic in cbr. I advice to include in the next installation package.
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #110
tartanpion
Enthusiast
tartanpion began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
If it's not easy to add fonts in /ebook/fonts : can we add additional fonts only for coolreader, in a SD card (/mnt/extsd/fonts ?) like their FAQ say :
"How do I install additional fonts to use in CoolReader?"
"You can put .ttf, .otf, or .pfb files of additional fonts to /fonts directory of SD card or internal storage." ?
tartanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #111
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
Quote:
The CRAMFS filesystem images cannot be edited "on the fly". They must be regenerated on another computer. I hope you realize this before you start messing with those fonts. Yes, the fonts filesystem can be reflashed, but you need to know what you are doing first.
Thanks for your answer.
My another question is that why in epub the font path "res:///mnt/sdcard/fonts/fontname.ttf" doesn't work. Does "res://" point to another place?
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #112
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
I can't root my prs t1. In the middle of the process, the cmd say: "device is not connected to PC. Press any key to continue". When I unplug the device, nothing happen. The reader works as before.

Last edited by vietchovui; 11-03-2011 at 10:05 AM.
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #113
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanpion View Post
If it's not easy to add fonts in /ebook/fonts : can we add additional fonts only for coolreader, in a SD card (/mnt/extsd/fonts ?) like their FAQ say :
"How do I install additional fonts to use in CoolReader?"
"You can put .ttf, .otf, or .pfb files of additional fonts to /fonts directory of SD card or internal storage." ?
So, have you tried adding fonts to the fonts directory in the "local memory" ("disk" READER), or on SD card, or in the .cr3/fonts directory? And did it not work?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #114
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpizza View Post
My another question is that why in epub the font path "res:///mnt/sdcard/fonts/fontname.ttf" doesn't work. Does "res://" point to another place?
Obviously, it points to another place.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #115
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
I see that in the expand-set.zip file, in the do_update.sh script, you just copy new images over some partitions of the internal flash memory. Does that mean that the filesystems in those partitions are (much) smaller than the partitions themselves? And if so, isn't there some linux command to resize them in-place? Personally I wouldn't mind having a much smaller READER partition (I put my books on a microSD card anyway). Or, alternatively, some symlinks pointing from the /system partition to "READER"? Or is that mounted too late to be able to work? Or simply swapping partitions around to make the space used for READER to be used for /system?

ETA: Maybe this is something: http://juanjosec.blogspot.com/2009/0...-eabi-arm.html ? e2fsprogs contains resize2fs, the ext[234] file system resizer. Or the trick with the loop mount perhaps. Or a null mount (-o bind, in linux terms).

Last edited by RhialtoFalu; 11-07-2011 at 07:57 AM.
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #116
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Quote:
To recover you probably don't need to boot from SD card. First of all you need to get into the recovery mode. While the reader is rebooting, press and hold HOME and MENU. The reader should boot into the recovery mode and stop. You may need to hold those buttons until it stops recycling.

You can then log into the USB serial terminal, and restore the ramdisk image by hand.

1) Copy the ramdisk-origi.uimg to micro-SD card
2) Put the card into the reader
3) Mount it:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sd
4) cd /mnt/sd
dd ramdisk-orig.uimg of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=10240 count=600 bs=512
5) Reboot

Good luck!
I've tried the key combination you said, but my T1 still stopped at the "opening book..." screen when it restarted from a crash (I've previously root it with minimal-root). How can I unroot it now? My PC doesn't recognize the READER, SETTINGS, and SDCARD disks (plugged in the reader).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byzb-cIryp0
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #117
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
I've tried the key combination you said, but my T1 still stopped at the "opening book..." screen when it restarted from a crash (I've previously root it with minimal-root). How can I unroot it now? My PC doesn't recognize the READER, SETTINGS, and SDCARD disks (plugged in the reader).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byzb-cIryp0
Do you want to "unroot" it, or were you trying to install the ADB? The instructions you referred to recommended what to do when you wanted to install the ADB, and your reader got hung up. Actually, the current ADB installer should not hang up your reader any more.

How did your reader "crash"? And what were you doing when it "crashed"? Why did you go into the Recovery mode? Was the reader refusing to boot in Normal mode?

Have you tried just doing a RESET and turning the reader on? What happens when you do it?

I can tell you what to do, but I need to know what you have already done.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #118
porkupan
Fanatic

Anyway, whatever you've done to f... up your reader, you can still recover. So, no worries.

First, have you tried booting the reader while connected to the computer? Does the computer recognize the reader then? If it does, have you tried formatting the memory, or removing the Sony Reader directory?

Let's say you've tried all those things, but you have done something crazy that totally prevents your reader from starting the android launcher. That's pretty hard to do, but it is possible that you've done it. When your reader is "stuck" in Recovery mode (you held the HOME and MENU buttons while the reader was booting), you should be able to log into it from the "serial" (Serial USB Gadget) terminal. If you don't know what to do in Linux, you can restore from the micro-SD card.

Do you need instructions for restoring from micro-SD card?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #119
vietchovui
Zealot

I've successfully rooted my reader with the minimal-root package by running flash_reader.bat. The reader run normally for 2 days and I was able to use cool reader. But when I pushed the power button after reading (with cool reader) to turn the reader into sleep mode, it restarted and stopped at the "Opening book..." screen for hours as you can see in the clip I've posted before. So, I've tried to reset it using the reset button but it does not help me.
I've also tried to reset the reader when is was plugged to PC via USB cable but the PC could not recognize the reader's disk.
I think that restoring from micro-SD card is the last method that I've not tried yet. please help me then!

Last edited by vietchovui; 11-07-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #120
porkupan
Fanatic

Recovery via micro-SD card:
  1. Connect the wall charger to your reader.
  2. On the PC, unpack this archive to the micro-SD card. You should see the folder "OS Firmware" in the root directory of the card.
  3. Insert the micro-SD card into the reader.
  4. If the reader is not going through constant reboots, push the RESET button (with a pushpin).
  5. Now push and hold two buttons, HOME and MENU. Turn the reader on (Power button), it should start booting. Wait till the "Opening book" screen has stabilized for a few seconds.
  6. Let go the HOME and MENU buttons. Now wait...
  7. If the reader has not rebooted after 10-15 minutes, push the RESET button and then turn it on with the Power button.

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony