Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Desktop software: All the other books

I've posted here before about using the Kobo software with my Sony eReader (easy, just connect it), and now I have a follow-up question. When I look at my library on Kobo's website only some of the books have a download link, and only thosebooks sync to my 950. The others are accesible in my Droid app and in the desktop software, but I haven't found a way to load them to the 950 simply because I can't get to the files themselves. If they are on my computer I have not been able to locate them, and I can usually make a computer do whatever it is I want it to do pretty easily but right now, it's defying me.

Sugestions? Anyone?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone....?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The books that are NOT available for ePub download are in what we call kEpub format; Kobo's own DRM'ed files.

On Windows they are stored in AppData\Local\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub and have names like c6cd1f19-cd08-4c25-bc9a-b1570c61983f.

Sorry to say there is no way to use those other than in Kobo's own applications.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

That was exactly the info I needed! I'm a bit sad I can't sync them easily to the Sony reader, but at least now I know what I have to work with. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Anyone....?
You should contact the Kobo Helpdesk to find out why they aren't providing epub files for the books you have purchased. All of the books I have purchased from Kobo have downloadable ADOBE DRM EPUBs, which, when I click on the downloaded file loads it into Adobe Digital Editions. I could tell you where the Desktop application stores it's data, but this is not likely to be of any use to you since they do not appear to be epubs.

Regards,
Joe
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
You should contact the Kobo Helpdesk to find out why they aren't providing epub files for the books you have purchased.
I haven't actually paid for them, they are all from the Free Books category. But I might contact them later today anyway and ask... just to see what they say. If I do I'll be sure to share their response here.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I haven't actually paid for them, they are all from the Free Books category. But I might contact them later today anyway and ask... just to see what they say. If I do I'll be sure to share their response here.
Well, if they are free they are either in the public domain or some publisher is providing them free. In either case, if you google the title you should be able to find a source in epub format.

Regards,
Joe

Last edited by Joe563; 06-29-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Well, if they are free they are either in the public domain or some publisher is providing them free. In either case, if you google the title you should be able to find a source in epub format.
Which makes it even stranger that Kobo won't provide them in ePub, if others do... then again, I suppose they don't really have any obligations to make sure their books work on their competitors' devices, do they?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
The Kobo Desktop software should synchronize your Kobo purchases or "purchases" to your Sony Reader.

We're currently ironing out a couple of bugs around this but the basic functionality should be there as it has been since the initial release of the desktop application.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
If they are public domain books that you find, the source may be Gutenberg, and so there is no download link as you can easily get the book from another source, without DRM.

Example: Around the world in 80 days
KoboBooks
Gutenberg
EPubBooks
Mobilereads - Ebook Uploads
etc.
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
The Kobo Desktop software should synchronize your Kobo purchases or "purchases" to your Sony Reader.
That's what makes it so weird. The Kobo software does sync all the ePub files with my 950 (I had another thread on that a week or so ago), but it won't sync the non-ePub ones.

For example, this edition of The Castle of Otranto seems un-syncable. That's what puzzles me. I know that I could get it from somewhere else, but I already have it in the library in the Kobo app I've been using on my phone, and it would just be so much easier to swipe the entire Kobo library to the 950 and be able to sync between phone and desktop software and then to the reader again.

But if the files are of a Kobo-only format, I guess that explains why I can't get them on the Sony reader. Sony tends to be obnoxious that way.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's a guttenburg book, so it should have no drm... That means, if you find the epub file (and kepubs are, it seems, just plain old epub files at heart,), then you should be able copy it to the Sony. (I would open it in Calibre first to verify that kobo didn't do something silly like encrypt the file)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Can someone provide a reference to one of the 'non downloadable' books? I'd like to try an experiment...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's a guttenburg book, so it should have no drm... That means, if you find the epub file (and kepubs are, it seems, just plain old epub files at heart,), then you should be able copy it to the Sony. (I would open it in Calibre first to verify that kobo didn't do something silly like encrypt the file)
I think the kepub book is protected in some way (with encryption / DRM).
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Joe563

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Can someone provide a reference to one of the 'non downloadable' books? I'd like to try an experiment...
Check ScalyFreak's last message for a reference - Message #11.