Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast
HawaiianLungs began at the beginning.

Device: Dell x51v, SONY eReader 505, Lenovo T61
Install 6.18 error

I have a persistent error when running version 6.18

I have uninstalled everything. I have deleted all folders that say calibre including the programs folder.

I have deleted all tmp files. But still calibre starts with an error saying that the database folder has a bad location and to choose another. No mater what location I choose, the same thing happens and calibre aborts.

The specific error message I get is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 424, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 417, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 404, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 456, in initialize_database
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 170, in run
DatabaseException: unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 141, in run
OperationalError: unable to open database file
HawaiianLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Red face

Sound like something that happened to me a few times. You get this msg and then it exits? start calibre again. this time when it ask you to choose a folder for your library, browse to your old Library folder. It should accept this and you are in business.
HTH

Last edited by p3aul; 10-17-2009 at 11:43 PM.
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

But I do not know the old folder, I have deleted everything on my computer with the name calibre in it.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Well, you had to name it something to start with didn't you? The library is where Calibre stores the ebook files. Unless you created this folder in the same location under program files as Calibre was installed to, you most likely didn't delete it. You could do a search for it using a known subfolder like library or calibre or I think there is one called books you could try those to find out what the main library folder was called.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianLungs View Post
I have deleted all tmp files. But still calibre starts with an error saying that the database folder has a bad location and to choose another. No mater what location I choose, the same thing happens and calibre aborts.
I assume you are choosing an existing folder in a location that the user you are logged in as has full permissions to?

Your best bet is to create a folder named calibre in your Home folder (The one that you get to when you click on your username on the left side of finder) or your Documents folder.

Once that folder is created run calibre and point to the folder that you just made.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
p3aul
Captain Courageous

hmmmm.. Corrrection. those folders are on my sdcard for my reader. The structure of the library file is simpler. Each folder is the name of a book author. So just do a search for a folder with the name of an author you had in your old library.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
p3aul
Captain Courageous

What OS are you using, BTW
Old 10-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianLungs View Post
But I do not know the old folder, I have deleted everything on my computer with the name calibre in it.
Did you delete ~/Library/Preferences/net.kovidgoyle.calibre.plist and ~/Library/Preferences/calibre

??

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

I did not delete ~/Library/Preferences/net.kovidgoyle.calibre.plist

I am using XP Pro

Can I just name a new folder or does it have to be the "old" folder.

I deleted everything so I thought it would be a fresh install. I guess I am wrong.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

Nothing I do works. I created a new folder in My Documents named calibre and same thing.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

Can't I just uninstall everything and start fresh?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

Can I do a search for the bad database? What should I search for?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #13
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Well this may be a case of the blind leading the blind here. Bob clearly has a lot more experience with Calibre than I do, but I think he is using a different OS than we are. I also have WinXP pro and when I first installed Calibre I created a folder for my library called Epub. Calibre transferred each file I added to this in a subfolder with the author's name. If there were more than one book by the same author, it got its own subfolder. Thats why you have to be careful to always spell the author the same way. Anyway that why I said do a search in windows for the folder named for an author you know you had in the old library. That will lead you to the name of your initial library folder.
Oh I should add that the root library folder(whatever you named it has the file metadata.db This is the database file Calibre looks for. To be honest with you I don't know how you would get Calibre to recreate this file if you have to create a new library folder. It seems to be a SQLite db file

Last edited by p3aul; 10-18-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #14
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast

I deleted from my computer all metadata.db files, but same problem. I just want to install it fresh.

I had to revert my computer and I have no idea where the database is.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are using XP Pro, have you deleted the folder
C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Application Data\Calibre
This is where any setting from previous installs are stored. If you delete that you should be prompted for a folder to be used for the new Calibre library you are about to create.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote