Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Could you, would you.....

buy an ebook reading device that folded like a book (reading with the cover on doesn't count)? I seem to recall seeing a prototype for a device like this - did it ever make it to manufacturing?

I love my Kindle and my Sony, but I'd buy a device that I could hold like a book in a heartbeat!
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
No. I find I really really really like how ebook readers are set up with one screen. I can easily read one-handed with either hand. When reading a paper back I would always fold it back to reveal one page (one very bulky page) and I like that I don't have to do that the current crop of readers.

I'm a true convert.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
buy an ebook reading device that folded like a book (reading with the cover on doesn't count)? I seem to recall seeing a prototype for a device like this - did it ever make it to manufacturing?

I love my Kindle and my Sony, but I'd buy a device that I could hold like a book in a heartbeat!
There was once a device called Readius being designed, but they seem to have gone bankrupt before producing their first unit. That reader folded up into a small package but had only one screen.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I kinda remeber an LCD based device (maybe a couple of years ago) based on the traditional Pbook design, though I thin kit was actually a Note book / touch screen PC thingy......

Ok, Found it..... Link HERE

And Pic from Asus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asus-dual-screen-laptop_3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	33755  

Last edited by Xiaopanda; 08-06-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Found an Asus model....
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
the ASUS looks good and promising . However, it adds space. the current e-Book reader is very well much like a book already. it's comfortable for me with the one screen format.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I'm pretty happy with only one side needing to be read. It makes reading in bed a lot easier, imo, when I lie on my side! So I vote no, but I also would have voted NO to ereaders in general just a year ago. I have learned never say never!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
If it was one continuous [flexible] screen, sure. But then that would not be because it was shaped like a book, but rather I'd love to have to option to read formatted documents and the like by simply flipping the device 90 degrees.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
When I first considered electronic reading, I thought a two screen device that read much like a book would be the way to go. Now that I have been e-reading for a while, I think the one screen solution works quite well. If it would be possible to bring up two different books (or even the same book but not contiguous pages) on a two screen device, I could see a great many applications where this would be helpful.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Since the current crop of e-ink devices have used glass substrate screens, a two screen device would be much heavier (ok, hav more mass) than a single screen device (as well as cost almost twice as much.) If it was LCD based, it would consume almost twice as much power requiring either more batteries or producing a shorter viewing time. Since we can read only one screen at a time, a two screen device seems like waste of resources.

Now a three screen device -- one each of e-ink, LCD, and LED -- sounds great.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
When I first considered electronic reading, I thought a two screen device that read much like a book would be the way to go. Now that I have been e-reading for a while, I think the one screen solution works quite well. If it would be possible to bring up two different books (or even the same book but not contiguous pages) on a two screen device, I could see a great many applications where this would be helpful.
I agree, Kaz. I think a two-screen device could be a good way to ease new readers of ebooks into becoming accustomed to ebook devices because it would be more familiar to them. But I think that very quickly they would decide that the second screen was too cumbersome, too heavy, too expensive, and entirely unnecessary and would want a one-screen device. The only exception might be for people who wanted to read something technical and be able to display one page on one screen and some other page (not necessarily the next page), or even a page from some other book, on the other screen.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
... Since we can read only one screen at a time, a two screen device seems like waste of resources.

Wood beat me to it! What he said...
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I'm extremely happy with the one screen!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I agree with many here.

When I first thought of an ebook device, I thought of dual-screens, like a book.

Page 1 .-. Page 2

When you finish page 2, the screen image moves from Page 2 to Page 1 (just like flipping a page in a book to reveal Page 3 and Page 4.

Now, when I think of that, I think "What a waste of battery and processor"

One page is all we need. The only time 2 pages would be good would be if one screen was touch screen. You could read text on one screen, and write notes on the other. The notes would be linked to that page.

Page 1 .-. Notes 1, Page 5 .-. Notes 5, etc...

This would be excellent for textbooks and would be preferred to be on a larger full page device, not a 5"-6" unit.

Also, depending on left-handedness, the unit can be turned 180 degrees (upside down) so that the touchscreen is on the left, not the right.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Instead of left-right pages, how about a top-bottom distribution, e.g. two 6" screens for an effective 8.6" large screen foldable reader. When it's folded out (snaps into a flat layout) you read it as a single page, so you can use it when lying on the bed, and when you're transporting it the screen is never exposed, so it won't break in your bag.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
personally a dual screen device doesn't really tempt me much because i like the comfort of holding it in one hand, especially when reading in bed, and turning on my side. but like kaz said, i think a dual screen could be very useful for school situations (much like the new OLPC, i believe), research, technical uses...

on the other hand, this is a very interesting idea :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
Instead of left-right pages, how about a top-bottom distribution, e.g. two 6" screens for an effective 8.6" large screen foldable reader. When it's folded out (snaps into a flat layout) you read it as a single page, so you can use it when lying on the bed, and when you're transporting it the screen is never exposed, so it won't break in your bag.
it could make for a really compact device that is well-protected when being carried around, and still a comfortable size for reading when opened up. i'd actually even like something a bit smaller than 2 6" screens (presuming there is at least a bit of a bezel on the non-hinged sides), so it could be really small when folded, and not too bulky when opened. maybe 2 5" screens could be great.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote