Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Madame Bovary original manuscripts available online

A treasure of french litterature and the original annotated manuscripts are now available to all online.

According to the article on Télérama (in french) :

"The entire manuscript of "Madam Bovary", scanned and transcribed digitally, is available since last wednesday on internet. The result of 10 years of work led by the University and the Municipal Library of the city of Rouen, revealing all Flaubert's attention to detail.

On the site www.bovary.fr, the entire novel is available with a two-part navigation : on one side, the scanned original manuscript ; on the other side, the digital transcription, with all the corrections and notes of the author. One hundred thirty volunteers from a dozen countries, of all ages and professions, were recruted for the transcription which took two and a half years, between 2003 and 2005. Each page represents the equivalent of half a day to a full day of study, Flaubert's handwriting being difficult to read and sown with barred text."

This is a brilliant initiative, opening up vast new possibilities for students, scholars, and interested readers everywhere. Let's hope many more will follow this example.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
This is SO COOL!!
I have been meaning to freshen up my french, now I will so I can read the transcripts, and maybe even attempt her works in french...eeek!
I absolutely love Madam Bovary!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yes, isn't it amazing ? i really hope there will be more projects like this. but the article mentions that the whole thing took over TEN YEARS !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Alpha, Flaubert was a man.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Alpha, Flaubert was a man.
sorry typo i seldom proofread my posts...doof
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
A treasure of french litterature and the original annotated manuscripts are now available to all online.

This is a brilliant initiative, opening up vast new possibilities for students, scholars, and interested readers everywhere. Let's hope many more will follow this example.
I must agree that this is a very good move. Thanks for the link and information. I hope there will also be others that will follow.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I am a barbarian, there is no book I dislike more than Madame Bovary. When I first acquired this book for an English Lit. class I was appalled to discover that the analysis included in the book was twice as long as the story itself. I managed to achieve an F+ in my written paper on this book. While I have lost the original paper somewhere over the last 40 years I do remember that it consisted of four paragraphs each of one line and the title was:

Madame Bovine
or
(Do English majors produce more manure than Cows?)

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post

Madame Bovine
or
(Do English majors produce more manure than Cows?)

I am dying! I did not like the story at first either, but it did grow on me but it wasn't till after the analysis that I learned to like it. After 5+ rereads I absolutely love it.
But I absolutely see where you are coming from. I had the same feeling about "Don Quixote de La Mancha"
Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I think the problem with English versions of Madame Bovary is that there are so many terrible translations around. You only need to read the first page to see what I mean.

The one that I tried to read a couple of years ago (the Wandsworth Classics edition) kept referring to the "new fellow" in the school, who would listen "with all his ears, ... not daring to lean on his elbows". When the boys came back into class, they would "throw their caps on the ground so as to have our hands more free ... We used from the door to them under the form" (whatever that means).

Other English editions are full of similar nonsense. I know there must be some good translations around. I might try reading this new annoted version in French, but I'd also welcome a recommendation for a good English version.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Ebookerr
Ebookerr began at the beginning.

Device: UTstarcom
Thumbs up Madame Bovary

We had to read this book in high school in French literature class and I was awstruck by this book at the time. To be able to access this book in its manuscript format is awsome. I hope this trend in publishing such works will extend to all manuscripts, including English as well!

Ebooker
Ebookerr is offline   Reply With Quote