Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #31
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrusz View Post
However putting your dictionary as a translation dictionary (jap-en) does not work.
Dictionary handling has become more and more restrictive up to 2.5.1. I tried to communicate my dissatisfaction here.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #32
Gnom
Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo touch
Hi, since this is my first post I'll take the opportunity to thank the people working on maintaining these forums

I want to buy a reader with a japanese to english dictionary. It actually is the only reason I want to buy a reader, since I'm learning japanese and need to use a dictionary pretty often, using a reader seems really more convenient! Right now I'm aiming at a kobo touch, since it allows to select text in a much more convenient fashion than the kindle (actually, I could select what I wanted only one time out of ~10 on the kindle), and the sony reader needs rooting in order to use this dictionary. Not to mention the kobo touch is only ¥5,000 here

Anyway, the last messages of this thread suggest that it is not possible to properly use this dictionary after FW 2.5.1, so here are two questions: is it still true with newer firmwares? If so, can one downgrade its reader? I don't need any fancy functions, just reading will be enough for me.

Thanks tshering for sharing your work
Gnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #33
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnom View Post
Anyway, the last messages of this thread suggest that it is not possible to properly use this dictionary after FW 2.5.1, so here are two questions: is it still true with newer firmwares? If so, can one downgrade its reader? I don't need any fancy functions, just reading will be enough for me.
Don't worry you can properly use this dictionary even with the newest FW. Kobo makes a distinction between "definition dictionaries" and "translation dictionaries." Any Japanese Dictionary needs a special treatment by the device, and this is only offered for a dictionary with the name dicthtml-ja.zip. This means that you can use the Japanese-English Dictionary, but it will be listed among the definition dictionaries rather than the translation dictionaries.
Note: With newer FW versions, you can use a web translation service too.

Last edited by tshering; 11-23-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #34
Gnom
Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the feedback, I may just buy it today!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #35
Gnom

So, I went and bought myself a Kobo today. I only installed the dicthtml-ja.zip one so far, but it's working great! My wife's been repeating "sugoooooi" for 10 minutes! Kudos to you, sir. Many thanks

Now to figure out some minor things like how to get the reader to display the title in the library view and be able to turn page by swiping from right to left, japanese style, but I'm sure I'll find that out by myself

Last edited by Gnom; 11-24-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #36
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
So, I went and bought myself a Kobo today. I only installed the dicthtml-ja.zip one so far, but it's working great! My wife's been repeating "sugoooooi" for 10 minutes! Kudos to you, sir. Many thanks
I am happy that you like it. In case you share your reader with your wife she might not be so much interested in using the Japanese-English dictionary, but sometimes she might wish to use the original Japanese-Japanese dictionary. I have prepared a dictionary that combines both the Japanese-English and Japanese-Japanese dictionaries in one (you can see an example entry in this post, last picture). I am reluctant to provide the download link here, but can PM it if you like.

Quote:
Now to figure out some minor things like how to get the reader to display the title in the library view
This should work out of the box. If you don't see the titles, it might perhaps be connected with the encoding in the epub.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #37
Gnom

Wow, so if I understood, this dictionary you have has the original dictionary and the one I'm already using combined? If it is indeed this version you're talking about, I am very interested in it, not only for my wife but also for me since despite it being necessary I try to reduce as much as possible my use of English. I suppose you don't want to publicly release it because of copyright issues? Whatever, thank you very much once again!

As for the titles, it was a mistake on my account, I was using the kind of "preciew", using book covers, and for some reason some book covers don't appear. Using the library view solves it and is more convenient anyway.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #38
tshering
Wizard

Gnom,

I sent you a PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #39
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
Can you send me a link to that combined dictionary too?
Thank you!
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #40
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zufre View Post
Can you send me a link to that combined dictionary too?
Thank you!
PM sent.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #41
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
PM sent.
Thank you for the link.
Regards!
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #42
mzquarter
mzquarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
I hope this is not too off-topic. If so, can you point me in the right direction?

I got a nice Kobo aura h2o for Christmas, and I was very happy to see your thread. The dictionary seems to install fine, but I've run into a strange problem.

I've just updated my device to FW 3.12, and took a book from Aozora Bunko to try out the dictionary, but I can't seem to highlight any word (kanji compound or alone). I've tried several different formats and converters (calibre and AozoraEpub3) to publish the original utf8 txt file, without success. I still can't highlight anything, so for sure I can't use the dictionary.

I'm banging my brains out to figure this out, but I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks
mzquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #43
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzquarter View Post
I hope this is not too off-topic. If so, can you point me in the right direction?

I got a nice Kobo aura h2o for Christmas, and I was very happy to see your thread. The dictionary seems to install fine, but I've run into a strange problem.

I've just updated my device to FW 3.12, and took a book from Aozora Bunko to try out the dictionary, but I can't seem to highlight any word (kanji compound or alone). I've tried several different formats and converters (calibre and AozoraEpub3) to publish the original utf8 txt file, without success. I still can't highlight anything, so for sure I can't use the dictionary.

I'm banging my brains out to figure this out, but I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Were you able to highlight words under the previous FW? On my Touch and Glo it works (not very nicely but somehow). Since some FW updates however I am unable to highlight anything when the text is vertically oriented (but that never worked very well).
Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #44
mzquarter
mzquarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
I'm honestly not sure, but I think it might have worked before the update. I tried to check this on my dad's device (we got it at the same time), but it updated itself before I could check. Both units with FW 3.12 don't highlight japanese text.
mzquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:43 AM   #45
tshering
Wizard

@mzquarter
This might not help you, but I can tell you that on Touch and Glo (both running FW 3.12.0) I can select Japanese text. I put my finger on a character (or on two adjacent characters) and let it there until the dictionary or the highlight/annotation and so on option pops up. Only then I start shifting the beginning or end of the selection if I this is needed.

I would guess that it should work on the H2O too. Maybe you could try to change the font size. If you like, upload one of your converted Aozora Bunko books, and I will try it on my devices. I never tried the AozoraEpub3 converted, does it produce vertically oriented texts? I am asking, since selecting vertically oriented text seems not to work with recent FWs.

Last edited by tshering; 01-14-2015 at 03:59 AM.

Tags
dictionary, japanese, kobo