Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Need Acronym Dictionary (for Old Coots!)

What is NAS?
What is TTS?

Is there an android dictionary where third-generation internutters can decipher what you young whippersnappers write?
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Yivi
Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
What is NAS?
What is TTS?
NAS = Network-attached storage (NAS) is file-level computer data storage connected to a computer network. Wiki

TTS = A text-to-speech (TTS) system converts normal language text into speech. Wiki

Wiki = the free encyclopedia. Klick

Quote:
Is there an android dictionary where third-generation internutters can decipher what you young whippersnappers write?
Wikidroid
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Thank you, Mr. or Ms. Whippersnapper! I don't understand how "network attached storage" is different from just plain-old storage. I read the wiki and don't see the difference.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Regular external storage plugs directly into the computer, network storage can be anywhere that it can be plugged into the network - at the router or on a long cable somewhere, if set up any computer can access it and use it.

Example I have an external hard drive on my main computer but also have a network drive in the garage. I record security cameras to my main computer and to the garage both so if someone rips off one building or the other I will have pictures. If they get both buildings, then I'm out of luck :-)

Know your frustration with terms, maybe we should start using all those old terms like cool, grovin, 5 1/2 inch floppy, 64 k etc and loose the younger generation :-)
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Yivi
Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
Quote:
Thank you, Mr. or Ms. Whippersnapper! I don't understand how "network attached storage" is different from just plain-old storage. I read the wiki and don't see the difference.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm not so young anymore
And I prefer Ms Whippersnapper

The idea behind NAS is simple. A device, usually without monitor, mouse or keyboard is connected to electrical power and your network. Any computer on the network can access files on this storage.

Cheers,
Yvonne
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Being an ol geezer myself, I found this site to be helpful. Have added to my favorites.

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=A

Also found that AppBrain has android apps for acronyms.

Last edited by Tabatha; 01-15-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
YHTGUED.

(you'd have to get updates every day)
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
YHTGUED.

(you'd have to get updates every day)

That may be true, but you won't ever convince me all your friends would have known what you were saying when you sent the "quoted" to them.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
That may be true, but you won't ever convince me all your friends would have known what you were saying when you sent the "quoted" to them.
Maybe you should turn *that* into an acronym! Thanks for the links and help, whippersnappers and otherwise.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Regular external storage plugs directly into the computer, network storage can be anywhere that it can be plugged into the network - at the router or on a long cable somewhere, if set up any computer can access it and use it.

Example I have an external hard drive on my main computer but also have a network drive in the garage. I record security cameras to my main computer and to the garage both so if someone rips off one building or the other I will have pictures. If they get both buildings, then I'm out of luck :-)

Know your frustration with terms, maybe we should start using all those old terms like cool, grovin, 5 1/2 inch floppy, 64 k etc and loose the younger generation :-)
NOW I actually understand the distinction. I thought NAS was just a neologism, snooty at that for plain old "back up device."