Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
GregoryDahler
GregoryDahler began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Flyer
HTC Flyer

I've been pleased with this Android device so far. The stylus is a neat component.

Nook and Kindle apps seem to work fine.

The only one I've been disappointed in is the Kobo app, which seems to want to re-download my books every time I go to the library view. The settings for it are limited and seem more geared toward the social mess than the library. So, I uninstalled it.

I have to say, I like the utility of this little tablet and the price was good.
GregoryDahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Yes, that kobo app thingie is a great disappointment, especially as it does have the pen-enabled highlighting feature. The lack of settings is deadly. I mean, you can set the background color/font color (but not separate), the brightness and display language. And even have 5 choices for font size! Wow...

It does use the embedded font, as long as you turn off the mobile layout mode, but the margins are through the roof then.

In the end: useless.

Did you get the HC update already? I'm still doubting if I'll go for it when I get the choice...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
GregoryDahler

Just updated: so far, so good...
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How's that taskbar thingie in the various readers? As I understood it will even show when in full-screen mode...
Old 12-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
GregoryDahler

If you mean the bar where the time and system notifications are shown, that seems to be present at all times.
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryDahler View Post
If you mean the bar where the time and system notifications are shown, that seems to be present at all times.
Then HC is an absolute no-go for me.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I have Mantano's free version, and everything but the words disappear when I'm reading.

I haven't been able to uninstall the Kobo reader, but I took it off the favorites bar and don't use it.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
GregoryDahler

Just saw the Nook app has an option to hide the task bar when reading - which i am now utilizing. It seems like a good app.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
You're not alone in having to re download. My pocketbook iq does the same thing.
Want to cringe and wonder? go to files and you'll see html files all over the place. the kobo program just isn't ready for prime time. I counted over 10 files for just one book!
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
GregoryDahler

Yeah - it's crap, imho. I think I've settled on the Nook app.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

The Nook app isn't available where I live.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The Nook app isn't available where I live.
Just use the market enabler app, that lets your device pretend it is in the US or some other country.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Just use the market enabler app, that lets your device pretend it is in the US or some other country.
I don't see why. If they don't want my business, I'll go somewhere else.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't see why. If they don't want my business, I'll go somewhere else.
If you just use it as a reading app (and can't find anything else you like) why not? You don't have to buy anything there. Anyway, it is up to you. Just sharing the information.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If you just use it as a reading app (and can't find anything else you like) why not? You don't have to buy anything there. Anyway, it is up to you. Just sharing the information.
I looked into that market app enabler. It probably won't even work for me, considering they only talk about sims. Which I don't have.

Besides that, I'm done jumping through hoops to give people my money if they don't want it.