Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Preserving images from DRM'd mobi

Hello Everybody, Yesterday I purchased a book from Amazon, but due to poor formatting on the part of the publisher I have had to remove the DRM - Oh, OK I would have done that anyway - convert to ePub, make the changes in Sigil and then re-convert back to mobi, all of this was done using Calibre & Sigil.

My problem is that in its original .azw format there are images at the start of every chapter, but the paradox for me at the moment is that the very act of removing the DRM also removes the images for some unfathomable reason, has anyone come across this problem and has a solution?

I'm trying to avoid using too many programs to achieve this, I'm quite comfortable with both Calibre & Sigil, although roll on the day when I can do the editing in mobi format using Sigil .
Cheers
Paul

Last edited by Paulinafrica; 05-15-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Probably a Topaz book, and yes that would remove them. I'm sure there's a workaround, since I think those images get saved somewhere when you do the conversion. You probably should start in the Calibre forum, though the DRM question may cause issues. But it's ultimately the conversion from topaz to mobi that caused it. so ask there. Or at your Apprentice Alf's blog.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Probably a Topaz book, and yes that would remove them. I'm sure there's a workaround, since I think those images get saved somewhere when you do the conversion. You probably should start in the Calibre forum, though the DRM question may cause issues. But it's ultimately the conversion from topaz to mobi that caused it. so ask there. Or at your Apprentice Alf's blog.
Thanks for the response, although I'm pretty sure that it's not a Topaz book, it is a brand new release, but I will try the Calibre forum as you've suggested.
Cheers
Paul
Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've seen some weird formatting issues because of svg images after removing drm, but I've never had images actually disappear. In the instances where I had problems, doing a mobi to mobi conversion (in calibre) usually fixed the formatting issues. Friends of Alf would probably be interested in the details if there's truly some sort of issue here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I had the same problem with epub files made with http://web2fb2.net and converted to mobi with Calibre, not sure if it is related or not. It turned out to be caused by the image files, but I don't know why. I fixed it by converting them to greyscale, after that they showed up okay.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool same behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
My problem is that in its original .azw format there are images at the start of every chapter, but the paradox for me at the moment is that the very act of removing the DRM also removes the images for some unfathomable reason, has anyone come across this problem and has a solution?
i added a new azw book (free at the kindle store) to calibre with the 3.8a plugin installed and active. it converted to a mobi but the mobi had none of the artwork (it's a kid's picture book) contained in the azw. as an experiment i simply changed the azw on the original file to mobi and it opened in mobireader without drm complaint and still had the artwork.

does this thread belong here in 'kindle"?
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Paulinafrica
Zealot

Well I followed alanspace's advice, rather sceptically it has to be said, I changed the file extension from .azw to .mobi and to no surprise it wouldn't open in Kindle Previewer, I then imported it into Calibre - still with the .mobi extension - and after having been 'liberated' I opened the file again in Kindle Previewer and Hey Presto - nay - lo and behold the images are there! Now that really is bizarre to say the least, for my next trick I will convert it to ePub and try editing once again in Sigil, hopefully retaining the images, I will report back with my progress once I have done this. Although I cannot understand how a file extension will affect the conversion of the file.

Yes, I'm sure you're right, it probably shouldn't be in the 'Kindle' section.

Cheers
Paul
Old 05-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd be interested in the titles of some of these problematic Kindle books... especially free (or incredibly cheap) ones.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool free title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd be interested in the titles of some of these problematic Kindle books... especially free (or incredibly cheap) ones.
The Mouse and the Christmas Cake (ILLUSTRATED) [Kindle Edition]
--
Alan
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Paulinafrica
Zealot

Well I can report back that I converted to ePub - images still retained - edited the file to my liking in Sigil, re-converted back to mobi in Calibre, transferred to the Kindle via Calibre and now all is well, still can't get over that a simple change of the file extension had such an impact though, how bizarre.

DiapDealer not incredibly cheap, but at £2.10 it's not too bad Sinema 2: Sympathy for the Devil by Rod Glenn Although it is a cracking good read.
Cheers
Paul
Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks guys!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Mouse and the Christmas Cake (ILLUSTRATED) [Kindle Edition]
Alan, that mobi file is just a mess. I have trouble even paging beyond a certain location with Kindle for PC. The metadata is incomplete and the EXTH Header record in general is a mess. It's just fubar (strictly from a formatting standpoint).
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Alan, that mobi file is just a mess. I have trouble even paging beyond a certain location with Kindle for PC. The metadata is incomplete and the EXTH Header record in general is a mess. It's just fubar (strictly from a formatting standpoint).
well, it is a freebie.
--
Alan
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I never understood the business sense of giving away very badly formatted kindle books. Amazon should patch them up or pull them off the shelves.
otherwise potential Kindle readers may view a couple of freebies, think "load of C***p" , & don't buy any more Kindle books (as you conclude thats that's typical Kindle format quality)
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
Well I followed alanspace's advice, rather sceptically it has to be said, I changed the file extension from .azw to .mobi and to no surprise it wouldn't open in Kindle Previewer, I then imported it into Calibre - still with the .mobi extension - and after having been 'liberated' I opened the file again in Kindle Previewer and Hey Presto - nay - lo and behold the images are there! Now that really is bizarre to say the least, for my next trick I will convert it to ePub and try editing once again in Sigil, hopefully retaining the images, I will report back with my progress once I have done this. Although I cannot understand how a file extension will affect the conversion of the file.

Yes, I'm sure you're right, it probably shouldn't be in the 'Kindle' section.

Cheers
Paul
It would be really useful if you reported this in the Calibre section. Since Calibre is clearly behaving differently when it sees a .azw as opposed to a .mobi.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote