Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #16
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I actually prefer Stanza, but I do use Calibre to convert PDF's to Epub and seem to have it working fairly well.

What I Do like about GoodReader is how it will let you transfer txt files and how nicely it displays them. It took me more than a few trys to figure out how to transfer the files because I found their instructions clear as mud, but once I figured it out, it's a very nice application for $0.99

cheers
Yeah, in general, I really like stanza too. Wish it had good pdf support... oh well.

As for goodreader, yeah, it's confusing. Very confusing. At first. But once you get past that, I think there's two main reasons that make it worthwhile: support for insanely huge PDF files, and horizontal locking!!

Good stuff. Still hate reading PDF on that tiny screen. Still wish GoodReader had annotation support Still debating on plopping down 4 bills for that Sony PRS-2121, but can't help but wonder if the plastic logic reader won't suck, or maybe that large format astak ... what's up with this?

Bad times for someone needing an electronic PDF reading tool since everything worth looking at comes out *NEXT YEAR* hehe
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #17
masterteo
masterteo began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
can anyone gives me info in how to transfer pdf files in my iphone 2g using goodreader and without wifi or another internet connection in my iphone?
masterteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I convert PDFs to ePub with Calibre, read them on Stanza on the iPhone.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
civop
civop began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I use Stanza. It also good.
civop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
1gr8gigi
1gr8gigi began at the beginning.

Device: Apple itouch
Talking

Thank you for recommending this app. I just downloaded it and the other free software that works with it. It's very easy to navigate and suits my needs perfectly!
1gr8gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 AM   #21
ilya239
ilya239 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civop View Post
I use Stanza. It also good.
Stanza is good, I agree.
Good Reader has some good elements that Stanza doesn't: 1) you can quickly switch between the reflown text view (like in Stanza) and the original PDF view -- important when the page has figures or equations that are lost in reflown text view; 2) you can drop PDFs directly into Good Reader, without converting them to another format -- it will reflow them on-the-fly as you read them; 3) you can use USB cable to put files into Good Reader, don't need a wi-fi connection.
ilya239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Good Reader's price is reduced to 0.79 € for a short time.

Last edited by Josch91; 10-30-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterteo View Post
can anyone gives me info in how to transfer pdf files in my iphone 2g using goodreader and without wifi or another internet connection in my iphone?
There is an application called GoodReaderUSB on the GoodReader web site. You just drag PDF files into this and they are transferred; it is very easy to use. They will then appear in the GoodReader application file directory.

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #24
ensyed
Enthusiast
ensyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I tried converting a PDF novel to epub with Calibre but it messed up the text. The conversion inserted a blank line after each line for some reason.

Is there some other software for converting pdf to epub?

Thx
ensyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #25
Kattermole
Kattermole began at the beginning.

Stanza

Stanza seems to read everything and it converts stuff into a nice format for the iPhone. I also downloaded eReadear because I read that with both you'll never come accross something you can't read. So far, however, it's been Stanza all the way. :-)

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josch91 View Post
I like the "GoodReader". It's a wonderful application. But do you know other good pdf Readers?
Kattermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #26
prs700
prs700 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-700
agree with you all,
the way goodreader handles PDF gave me the impression that the company has been making PDF readers for years, it got everything (althoough not readily visible)
50x zoom!