Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
radiocure
radiocure began at the beginning.

Device: none
weird image problem

I've made a number of ebooks in the ePub format from scratch, then converted them to .mobi as well in Calibre. Usually I have no problems, but with one I'm having a bizarre image thing.

Basically, on the Kindle the images are displayed, but above them the bottom half of the image is displayed again, like it's all one big image with the bottom half appended to the top of the picture. Does that make sense? Since it's on the Kindle I can't screenshot it (the problem does not occur in the Calibre viewer) but I can try to take a digital camera photo if nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks.
radiocure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocure View Post
...Since it's on the Kindle I can't screenshot it ...
Type ALT SHIFT H or ALT SHIFT G to take a screen shot. It will same a GIF in the device's "documents" folder.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
radiocure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Type ALT SHIFT H or ALT SHIFT G to take a screen shot. It will same a GIF in the device's "documents" folder.
Thanks! Handy one to know. Screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.gif
Views:	254
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	74127  
Old 07-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try normalizing that image by saving to png then jpg in some decent image manipulation program.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
radiocure

Kovid -

Thanks for the suggestion. (I love Calibre, by the way.) But that didn't seem to do the trick. Converted to png then back to .jpeg in Photoshop (it was a JPG to begin with).
Old 07-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

try sticking a pagebreak before the image.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
radiocure

I had one before the image like this already:

<div style="page-break-before:always;"></div>

Is that correct? I just took it out, too, just to see, and the problem persists.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then I'm out of ideas.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
radiocure

It's so bizarre, because I have never seen this problem before at all. And this book is in a series of books for a client, and I've formatted it exactly the same way as the other ones, in which the problem does not exist. Thanks for the attempt. I'm going to keep cracking away at it. If I figure it out, I'll post the solution here.