Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
MePerson
MePerson began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Unhappy Kindle bricked after 2.5 update

I have a Kindle 2 International (serial starting with B003) that had the 2.3 firmware on it. When the 2.5 update was released to the public and available for download on the Amazon website, I downloaded the update to my Kindle manually for the update.

In the past, I've successfully installed and subsequently uninstalled several screensaver/font hacks, so I'm fairly sure I did it correctly.

Noticing the battery was low, I plugged it into the Kindle wall adapter; the light lit normally and the charge indicator appeared. I clicked Settings > Update. The Kindle proceeded with the update without me observing it. After a few minutes, I glanced over to see the progress bar chugging along slowly. About 15 minutes later or so, I checked on the progress again, and discovered that it had apparently finished and was now on the "Your Kindle is starting up. / This can take a minute."

Then it never exited that screen. I also noticed that the charge light had gone out, even though it was still plugged in.

I tried holding down the power button for 15 seconds to reset it... nothing. Holding down "Home" to enter Recovery Mode... nothing. Plugging into computer... didn't show up.

It was, essentially, bricked.

I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem, and was able to fix it by waiting a few days to drain the battery, and then charging it completely.

After a few days I tried plugging it in, and sure enough the charge light lit amber. It was short-lived, however, as it went out after a few minutes. Reset still didn't work.

It's been a couple weeks since I tried the update.

Anyone have any ideas before calling Amazon?
MePerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I think it sounds like a battery issue. I would call Amazon.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Yep... I would call Customer Service... They're very helpful - so I've been told... Never had to use them myself, yet.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Ouch, I'm very sorry to hear that !
But is it something happening often ?
I just received my K2 Global and it's on version 2.3 too. Should I try to update it ?
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Good luck hope it works out for you!
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Well, I never was able to resist to new SW versions...
I pressed the button, and now I'm waiting...
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Rob612
Rob612 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Same here, i just could not resist and hit the update button. Worked out fine and collections are defnitely great. Way to go before my ibrary becomes unmanageable.
Rob612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Wordcrasher
Addict

It worked ! Collections and web browsing !!!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Glad ya got it sorted out!
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote