Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 AM   #16
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Reader doesn't "only use the first 256 characters in a font". The problem is rather that the bundled fonts have only enough symbols for Western texts. It is possible to install Chinese fonts on Reader and some people have done just that.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I stand corrected! Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I also thought the limit was in the OS, I'm always glad to be wrong about things like that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
I already got a final solution for East Asian fonts in Sony Reader.

Put those fonts in Reader's \Data folder (jffs2), where Reader save books, musics and pics. The /Data folder is about 90MB, so there isn't any 7MB \opt restrict, you can put any large fonts file here.

Then change igorsk's original make_opt.sh in the universal flasher, link the opt\sony\ebook\FONT folder with \DATA, and flash the Reader using igorsk's wonderful tool.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #20
Fallen angel
Time Vortex Manipulator
Fallen angel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
That's a really great piece of software. There's a problem coming up though ... I'm trying to convert some greek files and it does great, except for the accented letters. Of course that's not a rtf converter bug, but a general Sony Reader thing. That happens even with unicode lrf files and book titles, as well. Is there some way to correct that?
Fallen angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use rtf2lrf (part of libprs500) and embed a font that will work for what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 AM   #22
Fallen angel
Time Vortex Manipulator
Fallen angel began at the beginning.

libprs500 gives the same result ...
Fallen angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD allows you to embed fonts in LRF files. It slows down page turns, but works very well. See, for example, the Ancient Greek version of Homer's "Odyssey" that I posted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #24
squiggle8
squiggle8 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 500
reader500 with mac and foreign languages?

Guys, anyone out there using a sony reader 500 with a mac and foreing languages (characters, fonts)? I need some coaching here... :-)
squiggle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With a MAC, you could install libprs500. It also allows you to embed fonts when you do the conversion.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #26
Honza
Honza began at the beginning.

RTF Unicode Converter v 1.20

I received a RTF file with Russian text that couldn't be handled by my converter. It was not so difficult to update it, so there is a new version or this simple software. It's attached at the original post or can be found at my webpage http://www.roomarranger.com/reader/

Changes:
  • Supports more input RTF file formats
  • Progress is shown during the conversion

More suggestions for improvements will be welcomed.
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I see on your site you have a link to ABC Amber Palm Converter. Well be very careful using any of the ABC converters to convert to RTF. I did that when my wife first got her 500 and the RTF that one of the ABC converters generated was so bad that it locked up the 500 so it needed a proper reset. The only way to fix the RTF was to load it into Word and resave it. It was just dreadful RTF that just managed to be RTF.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #28
Honza
Honza began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I see on your site you have a link to ABC Amber Palm Converter. Well be very careful using any of the ABC converters to convert to RTF. I did that when my wife first got her 500 and the RTF that one of the ABC converters generated was so bad that it locked up the 500 so it needed a proper reset. The only way to fix the RTF was to load it into Word and resave it. It was just dreadful RTF that just managed to be RTF.
I use ABC Amber Palm Converter regularly (about 50 books so far) and I did not have any problems reading it on my PRS-500. Maybe it depends on the original source file...
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The ABC Amber LIT converter is based on old source code for ConvertLIT that has bugs so that's out.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #30
Anides
Anides began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
It would be nice to have a possibility to use RTFUnicode via "Send to" feature in Windows.
Anides is offline   Reply With Quote