Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will JK Rowling eventually cave and allow ebooks of the Harry Potter series?
Yes, eventually 116 65.17%
No, never 44 24.72%
Other 18 10.11%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #61
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I'm sure as soon as the first either of these things happen she will cave: a) they offer her enough money (even though she doesn't need any more), or b) print sales begin to decrease.

Personally, I'm glad her pig-headedness has caused her to lose potential sales (being totally uninterested and unimpressed by the whole Harry Potter phenomenon as I am - it's only good point is that it's gotten more kids reading). That's more money to spend on authors who embrace the new technology and who realize that both methods of publishing are not mutually exclusive.
yeah, but Stephanie Meyers IS epublishing! I'd rather have a kid read what is actually pretty good writing from Rowling than the dreck that Meyers writes any day
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #62
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yeah, but Stephanie Meyers IS epublishing! I'd rather have a kid read what is actually pretty good writing from Rowling than the dreck that Meyers writes any day
I don't know... my daughter read and loves Harry Potter (my whole family are fans) and she also has read and loves the Twilight books. (She is the only in the family to read it.) But, at least she is reading.

Don't we have to let our kids read what they will and make their own decisions as to what they like, what is good and what is bad. I <strike>am sure</strike> certain my 13yo daughter has much different tastes that either my wife or I do. So, to constrain here to what I have read and enjoyed and think is appropriate for here would pretty much limit her to a lot less reading.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know... my daughter read and loves Harry Potter (my whole family are fans) and she also has read and loves the Twilight books. (She is the only in the family to read it.) But, at least she is reading.
Stephanie Meyers has clearly found a market sector (teenage girls) that she knows how to write for, and is highly successful at it. It's not great literature, but it's not intended to be. I think personally that we should be encouraging the success of authors, rather than denigrating them because what they write doesn't come up to some imaginary "quality standard".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Stephanie Meyers has clearly found a market sector (teenage girls) that she knows how to write for, and is highly successful at it. It's not great literature, but it's not intended to be. I think personally that we should be encouraging the success of authors, rather than denigrating them because what they write doesn't come up to some imaginary "quality standard".
Yes, I always feel inadequate when I see people write stuff about a book I really enjoyed being drivel and awful writing. I guess I'm just an uneducated ruffian that doesn't know when a book is bad. Although I guess I'll have to be ok with it.

BOb

(sorry this got a bit off topic.)
Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #65
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Yes, I always feel inadequate when I see people write stuff about a book I really enjoyed being drivel and awful writing. I guess I'm just an uneducated ruffian that doesn't know when a book is bad. Although I guess I'll have to be ok with it.

BOb

(sorry this got a bit off topic.)
I'd recommend to both of you to give Meyers a read. I had completely dismissed Rowling when her books first came out, but finally read one and was VERY pleasantly surprised! I decided to give Meyers an equal chance... the writing is just incredibly bad!
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #66
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'd recommend to both of you to give Meyers a read. I had completely dismissed Rowling when her books first came out, but finally read one and was VERY pleasantly surprised! I decided to give Meyers an equal chance... the writing is just incredibly bad!
I understand your opinion. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't bad. But, frankly I don't care. If my daughter likes them, more power to her.

Frankly, they are not a theme or a topic I care for... especially after watching the horrid (in my opinion) Twilight movie do I care to attempt it.

I also very much enjoyed the Harry Potter series and enjoy the movies... although there are many people that call them "bad" and "drivel". I guess opinions are like... well you know... everybody has one and most of them stink.

BOb
Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #67
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

lol! indeed! I haven't been able to force myself to watch Twilight yet. I figure one of these days when I am just tremondously bored!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #68
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I liked the first Twilight film.
After that I decided I would like to read the series.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #69
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I'm lucky in that my son is into reading "Captain Underpants" books at the moment, which are a literary gem. Will I be spared these "Twilight" things, or are they not just for girls?

We've read the first few Harry Potters together, but I think that he needs to be a bit older for the next ones. I think that the HP books are good but not great - and that much of the pooh-poohing of them is a reaction against their disproportionate success.

I'm not sure about ebooks for children - I think that I'd want a more indestructible device before handing them out to a class of primary school kids.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #70
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I remember when going at the fnac, when I saw the twilight book, at the place that had been Harrry's for a long time enough it felt weird to see something else there.

Well, Meyer don't have that something in rowling's style. I still enjoyed reading twilight.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #71
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books... I thought it was a great story... and epic of good vs evil told in a manner that was entertaining and could capture the imagination of child and adult alike.

However, I how no idea all of the symbolism and mythology and such that she put into this series until I started listening to the SQPN: Secrets of Harry Potter podcast. It goes into some of this stuff.. for example many of the characters names have a deeper meaning or tie to some greek myth or religious icon...etc...

I am sure a lot of what they say in the podcast is speculation... but much of it makes a lot of sense... so, it impressed me even more the thought and planning that she put into this series.

I have no idea if JK has more on the horizon.... but I look forward to her next efforts. I have no idea if she can top Harry... but I for one will be reading her next book (if there ever is one) even if I have to buy it in paper. (We bought 5 paper copies of The Deathly Hallows and the audio book version on CD on the release date.)

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-28-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #72
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books... I thought it was a great story... and epic of good vs evil told in a manor that was entertaining and could capture the imagination of child and adult alike.
With the money she makes, she can afford a pretty big manor.

Rowling is an interesting case. I never tried reading the Potter books at first, but after watching the first few movies decided to give them a try-- and quickly gave up after browsing through a few (illegal downloads.) The interesting case? She creates interesting stories with interesting characters and interesting settings-- but with utterly pedestrian writing. The prose and dialogue just lies there on the page, dead. I couldn't force myself to read the whole books. So as a writer, I think Rowling makes some pretty good movies.

(It isn't just Rowling-- after watching and enjoying the series True Blood I took a look at the books it was based on. Yikes, what underwhelming writing!)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
With the money she makes, she can afford a pretty big manor.
Note to self... make sure spell checker doesn't change the word I meant to use. DOH!

BOb
Old 03-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #74
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
The prose and dialogue just lies there on the page, dead. I couldn't force myself to read the whole books.
Well... la ti da... as I said before... I guess I'm just too bourgeois to realize how bad her writing is. Shame on me for enjoying her books.

BOb
Old 03-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #75
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think that especially with kids, anything that gets them reading is good. My little brother did not read for fun for years then all of a sudden discovered reading---and his first self-chosen book was Shogun, which is like 900 pages long. We all were stunned.

Personally, I really hate literary snobs. I took a creative writing elective in university which was taught by such a person and it was a miserable experience. I was far too 'genre' for her, and she critiqued all of our work with a fervent belief in literary fiction as The One True Way. It turned me off writing for awhile. I spent a solid year reading nothing but fanfiction after that.

The thing is, people can like all sorts of different things. My mom reads her share of literary fiction, but she also enjoys those sprawling romance sagas from time to time because they are very long so she can go to Florida for a week and only need to bring one book with her. If you are going into the bookstore to browse and THAT is your selection criteria, Ondattje is not going to cut it. But in another circumstance, it might be something you enjoy. And within the genre of 'sprawling romance saga which will last a whole week on the beach' there are authors who do it better and authors who are less sought out...

Personally, I did enjoy the Harry Potter books but I found Twilight completely ridiculous. I am not the target audience for it anyway. But I am sure even within the genre of Books Which Appeal to Teenaged Girls there are the better authors and the not as good, and I am sure there are some very well-read 14-year-olds who hated the Twilight books. Thankfully there are enough books out there for everyone, so why be a snob about it? Let everyone enjoy what they want.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote