Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
zdavatz
Connoisseur
zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, HTC D2 not Sony.
EPUB Reader: Opening a big file (27 MB) takes 4.5 minutes on Firefox

Hi!

We have quite a huge file (27 MB) that takes about 4.5 Minutes until it is open in EPubReader in Firefox. The original XML-File was 170 MB and then was sized down to 27 MB as EPUB. When I open that file Firfox is not usable until the file is open. Once the file is open EPubReader performs very well and the access to the file is very fast! But if we could just decrease the time we have to wait until the file is open.

My questions are: Is it possible that we done someting wrong with the compression or is the time-to-open normal at 4.5 minutes for a file that size?

The Original Book has about 3000 pages.

Thank you for your Feedback.
zdavatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
zdavatz
Connoisseur
zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, this may be related to our TOC file that contains more TOC information then Epub-Reader can actually display. We will strip out that information and see what happens.
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdavatz View Post
Hi!

We have quite a huge file (27 MB) that takes about 4.5 Minutes until it is open in EPubReader in Firefox. The original XML-File was 170 MB and then was sized down to 27 MB as EPUB. When I open that file Firfox is not usable until the file is open. Once the file is open EPubReader performs very well and the access to the file is very fast! But if we could just decrease the time we have to wait until the file is open.

My questions are: Is it possible that we done someting wrong with the compression or is the time-to-open normal at 4.5 minutes for a file that size?

The Original Book has about 3000 pages.

Thank you for your Feedback.
Hi Zeno,

we are already in contact via email, but I wanted to inform the other readers about the current status.

I've analysed your epub. The problem is caused by the very large opf-file which has more than 7.400 lines. Please remove all entries except the one for the A-Z-pages and try it again.

Thanks,
Michael
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
zdavatz
Connoisseur

I need an example that shows that your hint works. If we pack all the Single HTML files into 26 big ones we will have longer loading in FF I guess. AFIK we can not have 26 links in OPF but then have 3500 HTML Files. OPF Files and HTML links have to be consistent.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Andy_S
Andy_S began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdavatz View Post
I need an example that shows that your hint works. If we pack all the Single HTML files into 26 big ones we will have longer loading in FF I guess. AFIK we can not have 26 links in OPF but then have 3500 HTML Files. OPF Files and HTML links have to be consistent.
With an attitude like this , I wouldn't give you any answer. Neither here nor there.
Andy_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
zdavatz
Connoisseur

@Andy_S: Thanks for linking. Kovid did in fact supply me with a useful and helpful answer.