Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #36511
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congrats on your new Paperwhite AniaR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You're still running Vista, aren't you? That's what I was running before buying and installing a copy of Windows 8 on my old, now for all practical purposes defunct computer. Windows 8 has a bit of a learning curve, but if you like it (I do), you'll love what 8.1 does with the place. While Windows 8 was a completely different beast, Windows 8.1 is more like Vista with new options. Can't say how it compares with Windows 7, as I leaped right over that one.
Vista, yes, on a laptop and, since I really didn't want Win 7, I've been holding out for a system I would like. Now to decide if I still want a desktop or just get a laptop.

Home again, so enjoying coffee and M&M's.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #36512
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Vista, yes, on a laptop and, since I really didn't want Win 7, I've been holding out for a system I would like. Now to decide if I still want a desktop or just get a laptop.
After having a desktop for years, I had gone for a 17" laptop (or notebook) because I didn't want a computer taking up all that real estate on my desk and feeling like I was on life support with all the needed connected cords tethering me to one spot. That was a Vista machine.

A few years ago, when I was ready to get a new machine, I split the difference and got a 23" (Win 7) All-in-One. I was tired of squinting at the relatively small 17" screen of the laptop but still wanted the flexibility of moving it around the house. The need to plug it in if I moved it to another room wasn't a deterrent for me since I never used my laptop 'off-leash' either. And since I never used my laptop on my lap anyway, moving the all-in-one with the cordless keyboard to another room was no biggy. It works well for my purposes all the way around.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #36513
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Waiting for the return label for my replacement Kobo Aura HD, the first one had a pinprick just left from the centre and the replacement got one just above the centre, it's even worse than the first one, which showed up when brightness was set over 35%, with this one it shows up at around 20% brightness.

I asked if it is possible that they check the replacement on the replacement but that isn't possible.

Hopefully third time is a charm.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #36514
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Waiting for the return label for my replacement Kobo Aura HD, the first one had a pinprick just left from the centre and the replacement got one just above the centre, it's even worse than the first one, which showed up when brightness was set over 35%, with this one it shows up at around 20% brightness.

I asked if it is possible that they check the replacement on the replacement but that isn't possible.

Oh, bad luck! Fingers crossed....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #36515
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...Vista, yes, on a laptop and, since I really didn't want Win 7, I've been holding out for a system I would like. Now to decide if I still want a desktop or just get a laptop....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
After having a desktop for years, I had gone for a 17" laptop (or notebook) because I didn't want a computer taking up all that real estate on my desk and feeling like I was on life support with all the needed connected cords tethering me to one spot. That was a Vista machine.

A few years ago, when I was ready to get a new machine, I split the difference and got a 23" (Win 7) All-in-One. I was tired of squinting at the relatively small 17" screen of the laptop but still wanted the flexibility of moving it around the house. The need to plug it in if I moved it to another room wasn't a deterrent for me since I never used my laptop 'off-leash' either. And since I never used my laptop on my lap anyway, moving the all-in-one with the cordless keyboard to another room was no biggy. It works well for my purposes all the way around.
The security of a desktop is what impresses me about them. Desktops seem more secure against break-ins because in order to steal them, somebody needs to do a bit of work disconnecting everything and gathering up all the various components; whereas with a laptop all a thief needs to do is grab it and go. I did think about an all-in-one, which is basically what our iMac is, but desktops are a lot easier to work on if you need to add some goodies to the guts of the thing.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a touch-screen monitor to make full use of the Windows 8 OS, though.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #36516
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The security of a desktop is what impresses me about them. Desktops seem more secure against break-ins because in order to steal them, somebody needs to do a bit of work disconnecting everything and gathering up all the various components; whereas with a laptop all a thief needs to do is grab it and go. I did think about an all-in-one, which is basically what our iMac is, but desktops are a lot easier to work on if you need to add some goodies to the guts of the thing.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a touch-screen monitor to make full use of the Windows 8 OS, though.
I never mess with the guts of my computers. I'm too squeamish for such things (as well as being anatomically ignorant). I'm not a power user like many of you are. I just try to make sure it has all the USB ports and such that I need. And I try to make sure it's the top of the line in the category I choose when I get a new machine, since it will be outdated anyway by the end of the month, right? Why start off at a deficit?

My current one is a Dell all-in-one with 5 or 6 USB ports, plus all the other extra ports I'll probably never use, CD/DVD/DVR drive, cordless keyboard & mouse, and 23" HD touch screen with WIN 7. It's about 5 years old and still performs like new.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #36517
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Lady Blue and Tom. I hadn't thought about an All-in-One option. I have even more to think about, which makes it even harder to decide.

Waiting for my waffles to cook and enjoying my coffee, right now.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #36518
AniaR
Enthusiast
AniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:

I hope this one's OK! I was actually quite worried about my new Paperwhite, because I read that there were so many issues with the previous one, but it turned out to be perfect

Right now I'm catching up on my reading and wondering how my mom is doing with my old Kindle that she "inherited"
AniaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #36519
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Thanks Lady Blue and Tom. I hadn't thought about an All-in-One option. I have even more to think about, which makes it even harder to decide.

Waiting for my waffles to cook and enjoying my coffee, right now.
All-in-one PCs are sweet. The only downsides are that they're a bit more limited in their expansion capabilities and if they ever need to go to the shop, chances are you will pay considerably more for the repair. Compact is convenient until you need to work on one, and then these things can become a technician's nightmare.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #36520
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Well that makes it easier to decide. I am back to a media center desktop or a laptop.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #36521
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Trying to decide which colour nail polish I want to put on my nails tomorrow. I'm thinking midnight blue, although I'm also tempted by my copper nail polish.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #36522
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Trying to decide which colour nail polish I want to put on my nails tomorrow. I'm thinking midnight blue, although I'm also tempted by my copper nail polish.
How about one on each hand?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #36523
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just finished raking leaves from sidewalks & driveway ... lawn is too wet for raking thanks to this morning's rain ... on my Sunday To-Do list now ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #36524
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Finally home after some do-it-yourself projects at the parents.

So, it's time for M&M's.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #36525
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I have had my laptop for what I feel are absolutely zonks, which had Windows 7 and yesterday my hubby came from an outing at a local mall with a new Toshiba laptop with touchscreen etc., for me. It has Windows 8 on it. It feels like a foreign country, but I shall persevere. I must admit that I still prefer the old trusty Windows 7. Not that I am going to tell him that. *Sigh*

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?