Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
wallacemckart
Enthusiast
wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How do I enable usb networking?

Hi ,

I have PW jb 5.3.6.

Last time I try to enable usb networking, I bricked my kindle So this time I am very careful. How can I enable usb networking? Should I install anyting else?
wallacemckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacemckart View Post
Hi ,

I have PW jb 5.3.6.

Last time I try to enable usb networking, I bricked my kindle So this time I am very careful. How can I enable usb networking? Should I install anyting else?
First - what have you done to jailbreak 5.3.6?
Since the jailbreak does not work on the version.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446

Really, tell us **everything** that you have done.
It makes it more likely we can give you correct advice.

Last time, you tried to switch into diagnostics mode and then enable usb networking.
Is that what you want to do this time also?
OR
Do you want to install USB networking in the "main" mode this time?
If this - then install the USB networking package from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

(PS: and stay away from diagnostics mode this time.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-17-2013 at 05:08 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
wallacemckart
Enthusiast
wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.

Thank you knc1 for your advice I just want to to install USB networking in the "main" mode.

First I Jailbreaked at 5.3.5 then updated to 5.3.6 and installed dev certificates,rescue pack.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you knc1 for your advice I just want to to install USB networking in the "main" mode.

First I Jailbreaked at 5.3.5 then updated to 5.3.6 and installed dev certificates,rescue pack.
Sounds good so far.

After installing the USB networking package linked to above (yes, I know that thread title is for the earlier JB but the USB network package attached is the correct one for current versions).

You may also want to install the KUAL launcher with the helper pack of buttons, which includes the USB button.
Not required, but handy for turning on/off the screensaver and the USB networking.

The prerequisites package in the KUAL post contains everything needed to not only run KUAL, but to run anything here.
So you will gain that also when you install the KUAL prerequisites.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
wallacemckart
Enthusiast

I have already installed KUAL with much fear but it is working for now Thank you again
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
(The USBNet hack now also includes a full KUAL extension. It might look messy for now, but it'll get better with the next KUAL version ).

And unless I forgot, I think I tweaked the thread title to mention USBnetwork .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:

Will the jailbreak still work after updating to 5.3.6?? I thought "jailbreakers" had to remain on 5.3.5..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
wallacemckart
Enthusiast

Yes. After I updated it to 5.3.6, I was able to install KUAL.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
Yes. After I updated it to 5.3.6, I was able to install KUAL.
Got it.. re-read the thread.. and the instruction to re-install rescue pack and dev certificates..

But I already have KUAL working under 5.3.5.. Will it still work after upgrade to 5.3.6(with re-installs of rescue pack and dev certs)? Or will it too need some re-install?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Got it.. re-read the thread.. and the instruction to re-install rescue pack and dev certificates..

But I already have KUAL working under 5.3.5.. Will it still work after upgrade to 5.3.6(with re-installs of rescue pack and dev certs)? Or will it too need some re-install?
You might need to reinstall some of the prerequisites. Things like the "Kindlet Jailbreak" (a *.jar file) may have been removed by the update process.

It should not hurt to just reinstall the prerequisites even if they are not needed. The developers here try very hard to keep things simple for the end user.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
wallacemckart
Enthusiast

I have one more question. I installed screensaver hack. I put some screensavers under linkss/screensaver. But screensavers has been never shown.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@wallacemckart: Wrong thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I definitely get what you meant though, but, if the process of elimination doesn't help, it leaves stuff that is unfortunately much, much easier to diagnose with a quick look-see at the logs (if possible, live over SSH, at worse from a dumpMessages), than anything else, and thus can't be (accurately) reduced to a simple automated 'Yes/No' .

To recap what I meant by process of elimination:

In 'cycle' mode (ie. not cover or last):
* Got the SO screensavers? Tough luck, it's an SO device, unsubscribe .
* Got the default screensavers? The install failed (which should be easy to catch during the install process itself), or the hack disabled itself for some reason (that should trigger a warning at the bottom of the screen, and in cycle mode, that's usually because the screensavers folder is empty, or was emptied by the hack because none of the stuff in it remotely looked like a valid image file (on FW 5.x, that means a png file, lowercase).
* Get the default 'Hi, I'm the screensavers hack' screen? There are no custom files in your linkss/screensavers folder .
* Get the last thing shown on screen (or a blank screen on FW 2/3/4) in cycle mode, either straight-away or after a few working custom images? One of the files in your screensaver pool upset the Kindle firmware . That rarely happens on FW 2/3/4 (you're much more likely to see a corrupted image, rather than breaking the whole thing, which is what happens on FW 5.x: once it fails in this way, only a reboot will make the framework try again, even if the next file in the cycle is okay, the framework just appears to give up on screensavers), but on FW 5.x, that means checking the size, format, resolution of each and every file in your pool, to see if it matches the device, and really is a PNG8 (optionally properly dithered down to 16 colors).

* Optionally, in shuffled cycle mode, if something specifically breaks after an autoreboot, it means I messed up .

In last mode:
* It's so simple that I can't think of anything wrong ever happening ^^.

In cover mode:
* Get the default 'Hi, I'm the ScreenSavers Hack, I'm in cover mode'? Either you didn't wait long enough after opening a new book before letting the Kindle sleep, or the book format isn't supported (PDF, Topaz (+ dictionaries on FW 5.x)), or the book doesn't have a cover properly flagged in its metadata (might happen with some weird, old prc files, haven't really checked), in which case a warning is triggered on screen (in verbose mode).
* Get the cover of the next to last book you opened, not the last? Same answer as before . (On FW 2/3/4, that might still happen for the first sleep cycle after a book switch, there's an (ugly) workaround available in the settings for that).
* Get the cover of a seemingly random book? Check that the date/time on your device is sane .
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Zlambe
Zlambe began at the beginning.

Question USB Networking without buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You may also want to install the KUAL launcher with the helper pack of buttons, which includes the USB button.
Not required, but handy for turning on/off the screensaver and the USB networking.

How would you enable USBNetworking without the buttons (maybe from a terminal emulator, as I have Kterm & KUAL installed and working)

Zlambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
type usbnetwork in kterm.

that toggles the status

EDIT: and on the insanely slim chance that it ISN'T in the path (which it should be)

it's /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnetwork

Last edited by twobob; 10-30-2013 at 11:17 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There's also a KUAL button for that, both in the USBNet extension (installed with USBNet), and the helper extensions.