Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
I wonder if Amazon has opened up a potential windfall for B&N with the MatchBook program. If B&N can find a way to match that,
Big if.
First, they need publishers to sign up.

Amazon said that they had 10000 books when they announced--by the time the program opens they'll have a whole lot more. With 400000 Kindle-exclusive titles and CreateSpace POD they can grow that number ridiculously fast just from their indie publishers.

Second, any B&M bundling, whether by B&N or indie bookstores, hinges on people going to the bookstore. Aside from the fact that not everybody has a bookstore close by, there is the matter of ebook buyers having different shopping habits.

The thing to remember here is that MatchBook is a Kindle program primarily intended to juice pbook sales among ebook readers. A secondary goal is to get pbook buyers who don't have Kindles to try ebooks on their phones and tablets.

Copying the program--a matter of time, really--will help Nook but do very little for the storefronts; B&N has already tried using "free" ebooks to goose storefront traffic and all they achieved was to annoy the customers. The truth is there is more synergy between ebooks and online pbook retailing than with B&M. And since online pbooks is where B&N is weakest...

MatchBook is just another example of Amazon playing to their strengths; in online pbook sales, in POD, and with indie publishers. All areas in which B&N is an also-ran.

I'll say this: B&N can at least aspire to play in this new game.
Apple, Sony, and Google can't even get off the bench; they don't have the pbooks! Kobo? I'm not sure if the numbers will add up for them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #62
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
That sounds very nice, just need to find out if it's US only or not...
I contacted Amazon KDP to ask this question. They said:

Quote:
At this time, titles enrolled in the Kindle MatchBook program will be available from Amazon.com.
So it looks like it'll be US-only at launch. Hopefully the rest of us will get it sooner rather than later.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #63
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Oh well, not a major surprise
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #64
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
Originally Posted by djulian
I wonder if Amazon has opened up a potential windfall for B&N with the MatchBook program. If B&N can find a way to match that,

I can not see a windfall for anyone except Amazon. Which is the sole reason for doing this. It will be another nail in the coffin of any other bookseller. Amazon are not offering this because they love books it is a commercial decision. Encouraging buyers to make Amazon their only choice of store.
Also Amazon do set the price they sell books. Publisher will set a recommended price (since the loss of Agency) and sell to Amazon at a hefty discount. What retail price the reader is offered is entirely up to Amazon
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #65
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
We had numerous patrons donate entire, LOVELY sets. They were furious to find that they were sold. Some were signed copies that the patrons had gone to a lot of trouble to obtain. In one case a lady donated all her romance books because she was moving to a small apartment. Imagine her outrage and dismay when she found that instead of "saving them someplace where she could always check them out again" she discovered that our library had a policy of carrying very few paperback romances...and all but two had been sold.
Maybe telling those people (especially those with the heavy stuff) upfront would have been a nice idea...at least much nicer than making fun of their ignorance...

Last edited by johnnyb; 09-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #66
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Maybe telling those people (especially those with the heavy stuff) upfront would have been a nice idea...at least much nicer than making fun of their ignorance...
I agree, but the library accepts the donations at the front desk and that is not where the decisions are made. I told people who made the donations, but sometimes the books were put in a donation box or given to other people who were very busy and might not have time to explain the policy. Only the acquisition librarian in our library made the decision and she wouldn't do it on the spot either. She had to go look up the books, see if they were well-reviewed and apply criteria...

No one was making fun of their ignorance.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #67
aj1
aj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
It's going to be a long 12 more days. Hopefully that's the maximum.
aj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #68
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
It sounds like a great idea and one I would love to use, but if the publishers don't get on board I can't see it getting very far, worse luck.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #69
EbookQueen36
EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Anybody know the date of when Matchbook is in effect? I thought it was supposed to launch in Oct, and here is it Oct. 21 and I've seen nothing yet.
EbookQueen36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #70
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've signed up for it, but haven't seen notification that it's "taken effect." No idea.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #71
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookQueen36 View Post
Anybody know the date of when Matchbook is in effect? I thought it was supposed to launch in Oct, and here is it Oct. 21 and I've seen nothing yet.
My husband's three books are enrolled in Matchbook. Amazon told authors they will be notified when the program begins in October, but he's heard nothing from them about an exact start date yet.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #72
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
I've signed up for it, but haven't seen notification that it's "taken effect." No idea.
How do you sign up for it?

I've looked at the page in both Palemoon and Opera and the description of the service is truncated, with one of the sentences cut in half.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #73
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
How do you sign up for it?

I've looked at the page in both Palemoon and Opera and the description of the service is truncated, with one of the sentences cut in half.
Sorry, I've signed up for it as a writer. It says we'll be notified. So then I figured I could find out how to run the app to see what I qualify to get as a reader--they have that neat little link for finding out what audio books you qualify to buy cheap (based on books you've bought). Let me get that link from my blog, hang on...

Well, foo. Had to log in. Another minute while I figure it out.

Okay, I think this will work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/audible/ma...2&tag=bearm-20

That link does a scan for what you've bought and then shows you the "special" price you can get on audio. I assume they will do something similar for books/ebooks when they get it up and running.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #74
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

That link does a scan for what you've bought and then shows you the "special" price you can get on audio. I assume they will do something similar for books/ebooks when they get it up and running.
Matchbook is a program where you can get ebook's for p-books that you have previously bought... sort of like AutoRip where you get MP3s for all the CDs you have bought.

Also, while autorip is free... matchbook might not always be free.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #75
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Sorry, I've signed up for it as a writer. It says we'll be notified. So then I figured I could find out how to run the app to see what I qualify to get as a reader--they have that neat little link for finding out what audio books you qualify to buy cheap (based on books you've bought). Let me get that link from my blog, hang on...

Well, foo. Had to log in. Another minute while I figure it out.

Okay, I think this will work:

No, that is 'Matchmaker' service - it finds audiobooks that match up with Kindle books you have purchased and allow you to switch back and forth.

MatchBook is supposed to go through print books you have purchased and offer low cost ($2.99 or less) on the Kindle edition (only with participating publishers). MatchBook is supposed to launch 'in October' but there are only a couple of days left. Or maybe they mean October 2014? Nah. We'll probably hear about it on Oct 31...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote