Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Cheap ereader to use as picture frame

Hi everybody,

I haveen looking for a solution to an idea i had some time ago. I like photography a lot, and i've always liked those digital picture frames, the only problem, is that they are SO bright and get very hot. Also, the picture quality is not very good.

So, i had the idea of using a cheap ebook reader as a picture frame. Of course, being an eink display, it would only be in black and white, but i like that, it gives the pictures a nice touch. Now, my problem is that i haven been able to find a cheap ebook reader for this. My idea would be under $100 ,because i have to pay for the shipping to chile, and more than that would make it very expensive for a picture frame.

I've been looking in ebay, but everything is expensive. Anyone knows about those cheap chinese eink readers around, that can support a picture slideshow presentation? i have a sony prs505 that can do that.

I also foun on the net a guy who had so many problems with his prs505 that he turned it into a digital picture frame and it looks very good.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
What you want is a tablet, not an eReader and for that price it will be difficult, but make a search at eBay for used eReaders/Tablets and you can afford one for sure
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Nextag will sell you one for approximatly $25 - this is not an ereader but a digital photo frame.

http://stores.nextag.com/store/48575...msung-2-4-Inch

The ereader would cost you approximatly $80 and its a Kobo or a Libra Pro from Border online at borders.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Your best bet is to look for a bargain used device. Try checking the MobileRead Flea Market.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yeah you need to look at the used market for an eink device under $100
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
great, thanks guys for the ideas.

It must be a reader to use as a digital frame. The "real" digital frames have a very bad resolution and also, the screen is very bright during the night, so for me they are useless.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
well the picture quality on an eink device is not so good either (6x800 4-16 shades grayscale) and certainly not eyecatching. And not designed for continuous use so only one picture displayed unless you change it yourself (may be exceptions)

Some tablets, even cheap ones like the HP touchpad have great photo displaying capabilities and you can dim the intensity down practically to the eink level if you do not want people to notice it or it keeps you awake.

Printing the pictures and making a flip type stand up display seems more practical for your purposes as it is easier to change the pictures.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote