Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
How does one transfer music to Fire HD?

This may have been asked before, but does anyone know how to transfer personal music to the Kindle Fire HD?

I was able to download my Amazon purchased music from the Cloud. However, when I connected my USB cable from the Fire HD to the PC, I could not copy my personal music to the Fire HD.

I copied the Music but the "Paste" function was disabled when I opened the Music file on the Fire HD.

Also, I notice I could not use the "Safely Remove Hardware" button to disconnect. I had to just shut down the PC to remove the Fire HD.

Thanks in advance for any help you can render.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
As long as you're putting the files in the Music folder, it should show up on the Amazon MP3 app. I'm not sure why it's not letting you paste.

There should be the button itself that tells you to disconnect on the Fire when you hook it up to the PC.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Haven't tried loading music yet, but have the answer to your "eject" question: just unplug, once the downloads are done. In Windows, at least (dont know about Macs), the HD does not need to be ejected, since it's not considered by the desktop as a device that needs to be ejected. [Amazon's customer service rep did NOT know this, and the HD's own help files make reference to "safely eject your Kindle," when no such option will show up on the desktop--but when I searched the Kindle help forums, I found the answer.]
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just dragged and dropped a few non-Amazon songs into the Music folder, and it copied fine.

Jessica: there's no "disconnect" button that appears on the Kindle HD when it's connected to the computer (there's no connect screen, either: when you use the drop down at the top, it says "Connected to your computer as media device")
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprentiss View Post
Just dragged and dropped a few non-Amazon songs into the Music folder, and it copied fine.

Jessica: there's no "disconnect" button that appears on the Kindle HD when it's connected to the computer (there's no connect screen, either: when you use the drop down at the top, it says "Connected to your computer as media device")
That's right, they use MTP now, yes?
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
If you are using windows on your computer , run media player with the kindle hooked to it by usb. Media player will see the kindle as a media device and you can drag and drop into the sync folder on the right hand side of the media player window.

You should see all of your music files (if you have them in the music library) and your kindle at the bottom of the folder menu on the left hand side. You can click on the kindle and see all of your media folders.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Once you have the mp3 files in the sync folder, click the sync icon at menu above the sync window your files that you want transferred are in.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-25-2012 at 09:08 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
nprentiss
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
That's right, they use MTP now, yes?
Meet The Press?

I had to look that up, but I think you're right about Media Transfer Protocol. Too bad Amazon didn't update the HD docs to explain it!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I figured it out. Go to Windows Media Player, copy songs to the Sync Tab. Then activate Sync.

That's the only way it will work for me. For some reason I can copy a song but the paste field is shaded out if I hover inside the Music folder.

The Sync command creates an Album folder inside the Music folder and then places the song file there.

Thanks for whoever said we can't use "Safely Remove Hardware." The Kindle HD is listed as a Music Player and not as a Drive to be removed. That is a big difference from the Kindle Fire 1st Gen.

I tried and succeeded with one song. Tomorrow I'll do all the rest.

Thanks nPrentriss and DuskyDisks.

I presume photos will move the same way via Media Player.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-25-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Great, that's good to know.

Meet The Press.

For OS X users (for future reference), you need to download Android File Transfer. http://www.android.com/filetransfer/ It works with Leopard (10.5) and above.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Great, that's good to know.

Meet The Press.

For OS X users (for future reference), you need to download Android File Transfer. http://www.android.com/filetransfer/ It works with Leopard (10.5) and above.
Yes, that works but very, very rudimentary. TuneSync ($5.99 for the android piece, osx component is free) does a great job of wirelessly syncing iTunes media. It actually makes syncing a reasonable experience.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Device: Kindel Touch, Xoom 2
Thanx Dusty works great, was having a problem working out how to do it until now

Last edited by SuburbanSteve; 11-02-2012 at 01:34 PM.
SuburbanSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I figured it out. Go to Windows Media Player, copy songs to the Sync Tab. Then activate Sync.

That's the only way it will work for me. For some reason I can copy a song but the paste field is shaded out if I hover inside the Music folder.

The Sync command creates an Album folder inside the Music folder and then places the song file there.

Thanks for whoever said we can't use "Safely Remove Hardware." The Kindle HD is listed as a Music Player and not as a Drive to be removed. That is a big difference from the Kindle Fire 1st Gen.

I tried and succeeded with one song. Tomorrow I'll do all the rest.

Thanks nPrentriss and DuskyDisks.

I presume photos will move the same way via Media Player.
Why are you using "Paste" at all? Just drag and drop the files in Windows Explorer. That works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard

Can't drag and drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why are you using "Paste" at all? Just drag and drop the files in Windows Explorer. That works fine.
It won't let me drag and drop or paste. However, Windows Media Player did sync all my music to the KFHD7-32 from the PC. For some reason only SOME of my pictures show in WMP and only those could be synced. I tried adding directories of pictures to WMP but they didn't take.

Adobe has all my pictures but won't let me copy them or drag them to the KFHD7-32.

The reason may be that the KFHD7-32 shows as a "Music Player" icon and not as a removable disc under "Computer." I use Windows 7 64 bit which may cause this appearance.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-07-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The reason may be that the KFHD7-32 shows as a "Music Player" icon and not as a removable disc under "Computer." I use Windows 7 64 bit which may cause this appearance.
I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 too, and my Fire HD mounts as a device that I can drag and drop files onto. There's something funny going on there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

Possible causes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 too, and my Fire HD mounts as a device that I can drag and drop files onto. There's something funny going on there.
I have BOTH Windows Media Player and MediaMonkey installed. Perhaps one or both of those in combination force the KFHD7-32 to appear as a "Music Player" rather than as a "Removable Disc."

A "Music Player" may force syncing from Media Player to be the only way to access the device. A "Removable Disc" would be more flexible allowing dragging and pasting files.

Maybe there is a setting somewhere to control the appearance and function of the attached device. I have no problems pasting and dragging to flash drives or to my attached external hard drive.

Are you also using the KFHD7-32 or the KF1G, instead? Perhaps, my device, itself, controls its appearance in "Computer." My old KF1G did function as a removable disc. It did not have a unique driver in Windows. My KFHD7-32 did install a Windows 7 driver when I first attached it to the PC. Thus, there is a difference right there.

I am not sure if the KFHD7-16 would work like the KF1G or the KFHD7-32. Maybe more than 16 Gb on the device forces a driver to be installed. My external drive has 2 Tb and did have a driver installed to identify it as a Western Digital brand of external drive.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-07-2012 at 11:34 AM.