Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
zkat
zkat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Bricked Kindle Touch

Hey,

I installed the latest jailbreak on a new Kindle Touch (got it yesterday), and everything went well. I played around with the system a bit, (most importantly, I disabled logging altogether, which may have been a bad idea) and then downloaded the Launchpad installer, put it in the root of the filesystem, and rebooted. I got an update error 3, and now my Touch won't complete boot. I've tried forcing a reboot several times, leaving the kindle alone for a while, and it's just staying on the screen with the tree, no progress bar or anything.

It gets a little worse, though, because even though dmesg shows that the OS recognized the Kindle as a removable disk ('[sde] Attached SCSI removable disk'), I'm unable to actually mount the partition to try to fix the issue. I suspect this may have to do with having been a bit overeager with things and configured USB networking to automatically start (using option #1 in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking). Unfortunately, I can't connect to the Kindle using USB Networking, either (or at least I don't have a device called usb0).

Any ideas on what I can do? I've seen threads talking about how some bricks give you filesystem access for a few seconds so you can drop a repair script in there, and others talking about needing a serial cable to be able to do anything.

Thanks in advance.
zkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Try plugging it into a USB power adapter (not a computer), and letting in charge for a few hours. Then try holding the power button until the power LED goes out, then release and press power again, and remove the USB cable while it reboots.

It cannot be connected to a host PC because rebooting makes it not longer "ejected", which interferes with startup.

If that does not work, plug the USB cable into a PC and see it it shows up as a USB drive for a short time (perhaps 30 seconds to one minute) during a reboot. If it does, it can be repaired with data.tar.gz.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
zkat

the power LED is already green (which should mean it's fully charged). I tried hard resetting it, removing the cable, etc. It's still stuck. I notice that after a few moments, the power LED turns off by itself (when it gets stuck in the tree screen).

As far as plugging it into a PC -- it never shows up as a disk drive at all. I've tried plugging it in after leaving it alone for a while, as well as doing a full reboot while connected to the computer, but nothing gets automounted, and fdisk -l doesn't show the disk.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You cannot trust the green LED.

If you can get data.tar.gz on it, perhaps that will run the runme.sh before it powers down, so you can fix it that way.

I fixed my kindle one time when the USB drive only appeared for about 10 seconds before the kindle powered down. I installed a repair script using an ubuntu linux host PC, like this (from memory, so could be incomplete):

while true; ls /media/Kindle 2>/dev/null && cp data.tar.gz /media/Kindle && break; sleep 1; done

If you get the file on it, try rebooting to see if it installs. Of course, it needs a custom runme.sh script that will repair your problem.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
zkat

What should I do if it never mounts the drive? I've never seen it get automounted.

Is there any other way to force a full factory reset? The kindle is new so I don't mind resetting everything.

My only big concern is having it be bricked permanently :\
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
geekmaster

What is your host PC OS? If ubunu, you may need to disable the network manager with "mncli" and then force usb0 up (see the "mntusb" script posted in the hacks sticky).
Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
geekmaster

Also, does it connect to wifi? See if your wifi router sees it connected. Try to ping its IP address on the router IP subnet. Perhaps you can ssh in over wifi.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
zkat

I have no usb* devices listed in ifconfig that I can force back up (I had usb0 pop up whenever I did usbnetworking before). I also don't see the device on my router, so it's not connecting to that.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a note: sometimes (or always?) KT doesn't connects to WiFi AP when it's connected to computer via USB.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
zkat

I tried resetting with it unplugged and checked my router. Still no wifi connection.

Thanks a lot for the help so far, guys. Hopefully something will work...
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
geekmaster

If you feel up to it, you could connect to the internal serial port and see what status messages it is displaying during startup. Also, you might be able to get a serial port root login for a few seconds before it powers down. In my case, I did a copy/paste from a script on the host to the terminal login prompt, to execute commands quickly before it powered down. Then I looked at the terminal scrollback buffer to see the results of my commands. I had to reboot multiple times as I investigated what was wrong and how to fix it. I succeeded, as described in a touch serial recovery thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
zkat

How do I do that? Do you think that'll get me access?

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this before your full reply.

This is starting to get more over my head. I guess I need to find a guide on how to open up the kindle, what kind of cable to get and such. Should I not be able to work out how to connect through serial cable, what are my options? I don't think I can really send it back to Amazon and say "sorry, I blew it up" and expect it to get fixed :\

I noticed in your other thread that it took 14 hours to recharge while plugged into a socket. How did you know it was out of battery? The battery monitor on mine was practically full when I last saw it.

Sadface

EDIT2: Also, I don't know if this adds any value, but when I'm not plugged in, and I press the power button, the green LED turns on for a second and turns right back off...

Last edited by zkat; 01-28-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
geekmaster

The power LED is controlled by software. You cannot trust it when your device is bricked.

Eventually we will figure out how to debrick with USB/HID mode, which is available even on a severely bricked device like my first k4nt.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
zkat

I guess USB/HID mode is what I'm currently getting, where the system recognizes the device but the kindle doesn't enable the mass storage device?

Also:

I've had the kindle charging with the power adapter for a couple of hours now. The LED changed to orange at some point. That thing sure likes to act weird. Here's hoping that leaving the kindle in usbnetworking mode overnight last night is what triggered the brick.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by zkat; 01-29-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
I guess USB/HID mode is what I'm currently getting, where the system recognizes the device but the kindle doesn't enable the mass storage device?
You can tell if you are in USB/HID mode by plugging it into a Windows host PC. It should install two new "Human Interface Devices" (USB HID) that you can see in Device Manager when it sees a kindle in this mode.