Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's dead Jim!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I got my Kindle last night and it was "frozen" and unresponsive this morning after a night of charging. All manners of attempting to reset it were unsuccessful. While I did have the opportunity to use the Kindle it was awesome. Frankly though, I'm rather put out by the impending two week wait to get a replacement. Meanwhile the content I purchased (3 books) is useless and the 14 day trials will have just about run out.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Maybe if you point that out to Amazon's customer service, they'll give you another free trial when you get the replacement.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #19
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Maybe if you point that out to Amazon's customer service, they'll give you another free trial when you get the replacement.
I did when I spoke to him this morning. I will probably email them again about it as well.

If not for the dead issue, I was exceedingly happy with the Kindle. But after a long wait already, it's just frustrating to have such a small taste of Kindle goodness only to have it snatched right away from you again for another wait.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm sorry. The thought fills me with dread. I can't imagine losing it or having it break, at least not until they're back in stock again. I read a story the other day about some poor reporter that left theirs on a plane. I've been so paranoid about that when traveling. I'm always double-checking it's in my bag. I'm an addict.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #21
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I think the battery is a bit flaky. The last time I had problem with my Kindle I had to completely drain my battery and then recharge it. Last night we had a brownout. All of my electronic devices are hooked up to a UPS. The brownout bricked the UPS (it was fairly old and I was using it at max load) and also messed up my Kindle. I could not get the UPS to work, tried different cables, different computers and it wouldn't go into UPS mode. Had to hit reset to get the Kindle to come back up. I left it on overnight and the battery was drained this morning. I recharged the battery and all is good.

But I was pretty freaked for a few hours.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #22
rationalbiker
Connoisseur

Alisa,

Amazon is going to send me a replacement. While they cannot restore the lost time of my trial subscriptions, they are giving me a "promo" credit of $30. Kudos to their customer support and maybe my Kindle downtime will be minimized.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #23
rhbgames
rhbgames began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle2, Sony Reader
My Kindle died as well. We had it for 18 months, worked fine. Then, one day my wife discovered that she had let the battery run all the way down and the screen was frozen - the top 10% showing Jane Austen (I think), the rest blank. Fully charging the battery didn't work. Reset, power cycles. Nothing. I even bought a new charger and battery. No joy. Called Amazon, they did the same things above and then told me that it was out of warranty. The best they could do was offer me a refurb Kindle 1 for $180.

I ended up giving my Kindle2 to my wife. Perhaps that means I can buy the DX when it becomes available - as reading maps/diagrams on the Kindles is horribly lame.

Sigh...

I still have the Kindle1 if anyone has any ideas about how to revive it....

Thanks,
RB
rhbgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #24
JayScore
JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Just offering this for information.

My K2 arrived yesterday. Tested it out Everything fine. Downloaded via cable 2 pdf manuals, and ten very small txt files. Also downloaded two freebies. Very happy. This morning I turned it on, and went online, no problem, but when I tried to open one of the pdf files, it told me it couldn't open it because features in the file were not available in the Kindle - despite me opening it several times the previous day. Then it refused to open any other file, simply displaying a blank page with just the title of one of the pdf files across the top. Turned it off and plugged in USB charger. Some time later, I gave up and plugged it into the mains. Eventually it showed green. Held the On slider down until the screen flickered. It began to reset. After a long time, it showed the first page of my Home, but refused to do anything else. So I did the slider bit again, walked away, and went did something other than stare at it with disappointment and fear. Returned after three quarters of an hour, and everything AOK - maybe it would have worked first reset if I'd waited a bit longer. It is a slooooow process.
I do have two questions, though. Does this portend doom and increased likelihood of failure down the road a bit? And should I let Amazon know of my problems as a warning for future contact, rather than just point them at this thread?

First impressions are good, but I immediately felt that I would like control of the screensaver.

Bob.
JayScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #25
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
????

This thread is from 2007.
As far as the K2, I'm guessing you bought it as a refurb from Amazon as that model isn't sold new anymore? I'm not sure how exactly you received it on a Sunday but okay.

I don't think your symptoms are a prediction of anything as it doesn't seem like you allowed it to fully charge before you started using it. I would say let it charge up to a full battery and then do a reset/reboot and see how it goes.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
welcome to the forums Jay! first of all, you have revived an almost 2 year old thread concerning a different device altogether. it sounds like you have self diagnosed correctly and you did not wait long enough the first time around. if, for any reason you do end up contacting Amazon, I think you will find them extremely cooperative and easy to work with
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #27
JayScore
JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
kindlekitten, Thank you for the welcome. Can I say that a useful thread should never be closed. This was the thread that appeared high up on google when I searched, so it should be maintained.

abookreader. No, I received this NEW device Sunday 23rd January 2011.

2nd paragraph. Read my introduction. "Offering this for information". Clearly, I had made that discovery myself, hence the post, for information, see. Please look up "condescension" in any good dictionary.
JayScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Clearly, I had made that discovery myself, hence the post, for information, see. Please look up "condescension" in any good dictionary.
Any recommendations? Sunday delivery wonders aside - where did you purchase a new Kindle 2 from?

And most importantly, is it working now? and welcome to MobileRead.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #29
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
One thing to be aware of when you get a replacement Kindle, is that copying all of your old books to the new Kindle can cause problems, because each book must be indexed for the search function. It is as though the Kindle must read each book. So, it is better not to dump 300 books at a time on your Kindle, or, alternatively, to leave the Kindle on charge overnight while the indexing is happening. There is a thread somewhere on Mobileread about it. I just went through this, and indexing got stuck, so I had to delete the problem book and reload it. If you type some nonsense like "nwzy" in the search window, and hit search, you'll see if there are books still indexing. While your Kindle is indexing, certain functions, like the browser, can be really wonky. Be patient.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
My mother called Amazon after her Kindle2 was having problems, and Amazon next-day shipped her a new one.

I called Amazon after my wife's Kindle 2 had an issue with the device's plastic shell wherein if you put pressure on one spot, it made a popping noise when you let go. Amazon also next-day mailed a new one to us.

Neither my parents nor myself have Amazon Prime or anything, so this is all on Amazon for just being plain awesome.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote