Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #61
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I just started using Dropbox this past weekend. It's been great so far and I can see myself using Dropbox a lot more in the future. But dude, if it they were bought by Apple, I'd drop the service as soon as the announcement was confirmed. As the saying goes, 'grass wouldn't grow under my feet'.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #62
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Apple didn't put SD card slots in iOS devices because iOS is Apple's seeming desire to become the primary distributor of content consumed by Apple users.

Gov't security was not the reason Apple left off the SD slot. At least, until there's some evidence to back that up, I'm extremely confident that gov't security wasn't the reason.
Also they want to enforce the artificial pricing tiers so that people buy more tablet than they really need (because you can't expand the memory later). Most people could probably manage quite nicely with the low end 16GB but you don't know that until you've used it for a few months. So 'entry level' is the price everybody finds attractive but nobody actually winds up purchasing. The models above that have more profit built in.

Likewise with the lack of 3G modularity. If they offered upgradable wifi model, people would just get that and forget to upgrade.

Apple's certainly not the only one doing this kind of thing, of course, but that doesn't make the practice less annoying.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #63
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Well, I guess you missed this sentence in my post
I didn't miss it--I disagreed with it and found it to be unsubstantiated.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #64
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Also they want to enforce the artificial pricing tiers so that people buy more tablet than they really need (because you can't expand the memory later). Most people could probably manage quite nicely with the low end 16GB but you don't know that until you've used it for a few months. So 'entry level' is the price everybody finds attractive but nobody actually winds up purchasing. The models above that have more profit built in.

Likewise with the lack of 3G modularity. If they offered upgradable wifi model, people would just get that and forget to upgrade.

Apple's certainly not the only one doing this kind of thing, of course, but that doesn't make the practice less annoying.
That's a great point--I had not considered that. (I even had an iPod Touch that ran out of memory all the time.)
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:47 AM   #65
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Keep posting and that person just may come across your efforts.
Don't take it personal, you aren't Apple Corp.
Just don't be afraid of flying dutch SD cards. Those do not exist.
SD card slot being a source of "hacking' is product of your imagination, it has nothing to do with reality. Most iSomethings were hacked within weeks of release anyway.

Quote:
Meanwhile, here on Earth Prime, the average consumer doesn't give a damn about SD card slots for Ios devices.
Average customer cares, go read comments on Samsung Galaxy Tab on pretty much any major store. Average Apple's victim might not, but I'm not sure about that. About half of the Apple's victims I know, did regret it.

Quote:
The iPhone was recently voted #1 in consumer satisfaction...
I daren't ask on which site. And how relevant that is in this thread anyway.

Quote:
and the iPad has been obliterating competing tablets that have both SD card AND USB slots
Yet another fantasy. Apple's share shrank from 96% last year to 74% this year, without major competitors like Samsung / Sony even entering the market and is expected to go down to 44% within couple of years.

PS
Oh dear. I'm done with flames in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Hmm, that's strange, my Samsung Galaxy Tab has a MicroSD slot, and it came with a 16 GB MicroSD card.
10.2 doesn't have one.

Last edited by kartu; 09-13-2011 at 03:54 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 AM   #66
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Four(or more) generations of Apple hardware died, and went away, while my, now, 70 year old mom used a PC(anno 1993). She's loaded, so I had her get an iMac.

She does just the same thing, write. It works just the same, no dif.

What she tells me is: "Thank you son! You've made the cleaning lady's job so much easier."

That's 'cause there's only one cable, the power cable, and that's not even touching the ground. Makes vacuuming just so much quicker.

Don't really think the the cleaning lady's getting a break though, 'cause she's probably doing somthing else now.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #67
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Average customer cares, go read comments on Samsung Galaxy Tab on pretty much any major store. Average Apple's victim might not, but I'm not sure about that. About half of the Apple's victims I know, did regret it.
No, they don't or they would be buying more Android tablets than iPads

Quote:
I daren't ask on which site. And how relevant that is in this thread anyway.
Pick any survey, the results are usually same. NOW you bring up relevancy???

Quote:
Yet another fantasy. Apple's share shrank from 96% last year to 74% this year, without major competitors like Samsung / Sony even entering the market and is expected to go down to 44% within couple of years.
44 % , eh. Now you've said something REALLY funny. Put down the crack pipe, buddy.

Quote:
PS
Oh dear. I'm done with flames in this thread.
Goodbye. Still waiting for ANY explanation of what Apple's rumored decision to buy Dropbox has to do with SD cards.

Last edited by stonetools; 09-13-2011 at 05:24 AM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #68
Omega Supreme
Omega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iPhone, Nook STR, MyTouch 4G
To all of those who whine about dropping Dropbox if Apple purchases them: good riddance if it ever happens. Dropbox has served both my iPhone and Android phones quite well over the last few years. If loss of convenience and usability is worth it for some ludicrous, ill-conceived, and imagined sense of technological idealism, then be my guest.
Omega Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #69
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Had it done so, it would have made Ios devices a happy hunting ground for hackers.
And how is this a security risk? My understanding is that you can't load applications on iOS except through the App Store. So, how would a trojan on an SD card present a problem unless the user is so f*ing stupid as to trust any shady parking lot guy about the great programs that fell off the back of the truck.

Those people deserve all that they get, in the hopes that they learn something.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #70
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Allowing SD cards present security issues of its own, mate.
How, if I may ask, does that present security issues?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #71
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Quote:
The iPhone was recently voted #1 in consumer satisfaction...

I daren't ask on which site.
Why? Not everyone suffers from "iFanboyism", despite your jibes.
It was J.D. Powers, btw. 5th year in a row, for what its worth.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #72
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
To all of those who whine about dropping Dropbox if Apple purchases them: good riddance if it ever happens. Dropbox has served both my iPhone and Android phones quite well over the last few years. If loss of convenience and usability is worth it for some ludicrous, ill-conceived, and imagined sense of technological idealism, then be my guest.
You aren't worried about iCooties?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #73
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
There's no need to be pointlessly rude and condescending. When and if Apple buys up Dropbox and kills off Android support I hope you learn something.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #74
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Actually I think there are good guys and bad guys, very much so. Lots of truly awful things have been done under the cover of legality. Being legal makes them no less heinous.
True.

But we're not talking about morality here. But business and legal stuff.

I'm with you, but that's not the main point here and we should not expect that to change any time soon. Sad, but true.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #75
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
True.

But we're not talking about morality here. But business and legal stuff.

I'm with you, but that's not the main point here and we should not expect that to change any time soon. Sad, but true.
Aren't we? I mean, you're the OP so I reckon you can call OFF TOPIC on what you want, but why limit ourselves to a legal discussion? I mean, if this is just a legal discussion, there's not much else to talk about: Apple made a legal bid, Dropbox turned them down. End of story.

It's the ethics and the morals that make the story interesting.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote