Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #121
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noetic_Hatter View Post
You're right - they're crazy good with puzzles.

I like windows phones a lot. I just don't think they're quite as intuitive. To me it goes:

1. iOS
2 Android
3. WP8

For simplicity.
Depends how you look at it. Changing settings for an app on ios is anything but simple. But if you look at the desktop, well, having row of icons upon row of icons, yes, it's minimalistic, but not very useful either.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #122
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some people know me as the vulgar, inappropriate BetaNews comment troll. I let nothing said bad about Apple go unanswered. I am biased but not stupid. Galaxy Note is so much better, and I can't deny it -- much as I really want to.

Taking into account the advancements made by Samsung and the rate at which Apple releases updates and innovations, the future looks grim in Cupertino.

When a hardcore, die-hard fanboy such as myself cannot fathom going back to iPhone, fanboys around the globe better hope that somebody at One infinite loop is paying attention. It seems as though not one of the Apple executives has ever picked up a Galaxy device; their biggest competitor. The threat at hand is not just towards Apple. Samsung is so far ahead of the other Android players that we are moments away from calling it a one-horse race.
Source
Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #123
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I couldn't care less if a device I own is considered cool. I buy what meets my needs and assume that others do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
LOL. You do not have teenage kids and, obviously, were never a teen yourself.
Oh, but teenagers are not all alike. When I was teen I already decided that I'd never use iPhone because of its popularity. To be cool is to be different (that was what I thought, anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
OK, I went through this article, looked at the responses prior, and still don't see a huge advantage. The most alluring thing I've seen is tethering the device to a dongle, and accessing data from that dongle. Which is something I can't see myself doing, but no doubt is useful to others. I must be missing out on the truly advanced features.

What are the advantages of Android to the majority of users that makes its flexibility much more appealing than the tight integration of Apple with iTunes and iCloud?
Hmmm. The gadgets, app tweaks and such that others have been listing might not sound overly wonderful to make you want to switch to Android, but you'll see when you use one. I was not much enthusiastic about Android, but now that I'm using it, I find the ability to change your phone as you see fit is a very useful feature.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #124
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
This might be partly true. I was more inclined to consider picking up a Nexus 10 after finding out it was made by Samsung. I would be disinclined entirely to pick up an iPad 4 someday were it not for the superior composition/music production software that makes it a more useful tablet for that sole purpose than any Android equivalent or better (so far).

The fact the screens are usually made by Samsung doesn't hurt my grudging semi-decision.

Musicians update software last for reasons of stability, and in that respect, to offer something comparable, Android would have to fight 25 years of established business from the companies that work with Apple. I'm not sure Google's interested in the professional artists' market at this point; the Chrome OS seems designed for power users in a purely consumer context, and Google's ad-driven revenue makes that completely logical.

Still, the Nexus 4G by LG has been a game-changer for many former Samsung users.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-21-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #125
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cool is not a factor for me. I like a well made, good looking device, but the prime consideration for a new purchase is functionality.

Apple did a great to to create the tablet niche after Microsoft failed in it. Apple showed true innovation.

But now they are evolving their products rather than innovating. They came very late to the game with a 7", entering this niche only after others proved that people wanted 7" tablets. And they are way behind on the larger smartphones.

IMHO, Samsung has done a great job of innovating. I use the original Galaxy Note and I love that I can take handwritten notes into Evernote with my Note. And Samsung has offered a very wide range of sizes for smart phones and tablets.

My next tablet will likely be a Samsung if they keep on the way they are going. (I am not associated with Samsung - just a very satisfied customer)
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #126
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I have both iPhone5 and samsung note2. Now when I pick up my iPhone it looks so small and out of date. As stated before, Apple is lagging very far behind on screen size etc. Samsung Note2 wins out over iPhone5 hands down.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #127
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Cool is not important to me.
What Is important that I can add my own external storage, such as sd cards.
I'm not locked into a format and have to use some 3rd part app to transfer data.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #128
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Cool is not important to me.
What Is important that I can add my own external storage, such as sd cards.
I'm not locked into a format and have to use some 3rd part app to transfer data.
great empires fail for internal reasons
get complacent
big egos
bad plumbing
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #129
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
great empires fail for internal reasons
get complacent
big egos
bad plumbing
TRUE! Many of the great Cities of antiquity failed and fell because they didn't have the ability to handle their internally generated effluent, either solid or liquid.

That would be especially poignant with Apple

Last edited by SeaKing; 01-29-2013 at 08:59 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #130
afv011
Captain Penguin

Looks like the shine's coming off.

Quote:
Apple Inc's iconic iPhone is losing some of its luster among Asia's well-heeled consumers in Singapore and Hong Kong, a victim of changing mobile habits and its own runaway success.
Driven by a combination of iPhone fatigue, a desire to be different and a plethora of competing devices, users are turning to other brands, notably those from Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, eating into Apple's market share.
Source
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #131
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Apple sauce.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #132
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just saw an explanation for why we don't need an app killer for android - it multitasks effectively, unlike other OS.

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...droid-way.html

In short, when we leave an app "running", it sort of freezes right there and then so that we return to the exact state as we leave it. It doesn't consume any real memory, so don't fret when the running app list is 2-page long.

Isn't that a huge advantage over iPhone's OS?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #133
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I just saw an explanation for why we don't need an app killer for android - it multitasks effectively, unlike other OS.

In short, when we leave an app "running", it sort of freezes right there and then so that we return to the exact state as we leave it. It doesn't consume any real memory, so don't fret when the running app list is 2-page long.

Yes, it is - but developers have to implement the right functions on their apps to make sure the app behaves as it should when pausing/resuming. As the saying goes "with great power, comes great responsibility".
Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #134
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post

No it isn't - it's actually very similar to the way iOS works.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #135
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
No it isn't - it's actually very similar to the way iOS works.

/JB
Correct me if I'm wrong: I think the apps freeze in Android, but keep running in iOS?

Quote:
Multitasking is a feature of iOS that allows applications to perform specific tasks in the background while you are using another application.
source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4211

also:

Quote:
The foreground app always has precedence over background apps when it comes to the use of system resources and hardware. Apps running in the background need to be prepared for this discrepancy and adjust their behavior when running in the background.
source: http://developer.apple.com/library/i...tionsFlow.html

EDT: I see, apps behave differently while running on background in iOS too.

Last edited by maianhvk; 01-30-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: deleting a stupid question :smack: