Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PW2 or Samsung Galaxy Note 3

My iphone is giving up the ghost. I recently had a Paperwhite which I found reasonable for reading on, and especially enjoyed the dictionary functions. I am greatly attracted by the idea of Vocabulary Flash Cards as introduced in the new Paperwhite. But, I need (want) a new phone and the Note 3 should be big enough and light enough to read on comfortably, and be my main reader. I don't know what to do! Any chance one of the reading app developers for Android will emulate the vocab flash card facility?
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Since you need a phone anyway, the Galaxy Note 3 seems the obvious choice. What phone would you get if you picked up a PW2?
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I agree, get the GNote. The screen is certainly large enough for it to be your primary reader and if you have no issues with the vastly reduced battery life over an e-reader I doubt you can find a better combo device.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Get the Gnote3, that way you have an all in one device. I'm picking up a Gnote2 this afternoon so I can just carry one device with me that does everything I need it to do.

As for battery life, that is what chargers are for. I have one at work and 3 here at home. Plug it in when I get home or at work and I'm good to go.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I too vote for the Note 3.
I love my Galaxy Player 5 and may replace it with the Note 2 next year.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
I have the original Galaxy Note (with Moon+ Reader Pro and Calibre Companion) as my one and only reader device, apart from my laptops-- I certainly can't complain about battery life too much. Set your reader app to white on black to save on power, keep a spare battery/power pack with you on the go and you're golden.

Given that the Note 3 is mean to be an improvement over my edition of the phone, I'd definitely suggest you get it. Bigger screen on a phone that's even lighter and thinner-- the original Note is fairly comfortable to hold or put in your pocket after you get used to a larger phone than average, but the improvements in those departments would certainly put the Note 3 on my wishlist of gadgets were I looking for a new phone within the coming 12 months.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks! I guess it's the Note then! Can't wait! Still hankering after the vocab builder though...
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
Thanks! I guess it's the Note then! Can't wait! Still hankering after the vocab builder though...
In the comments for this Android flash card app, someone mentioned it works with various e-book readers. But this probably isn't what you want.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
As a conterpoint - I have a Note 2 and I hate reading on it, compared to an e-ink screen. In fact I think I even prefer paper books to reading on it.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
My iphone is giving up the ghost. I recently had a Paperwhite which I found reasonable for reading on, and especially enjoyed the dictionary functions. I am greatly attracted by the idea of Vocabulary Flash Cards as introduced in the new Paperwhite. But, I need (want) a new phone and the Note 3 should be big enough and light enough to read on comfortably, and be my main reader. I don't know what to do! Any chance one of the reading app developers for Android will emulate the vocab flash card facility?
Get a regular sized phone and the PW. Problem solved. It will probably suck reading on the Galaxy.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Really? I read quite a lot on my smart phone which has a 4.3" screen and it doesn't suck at all.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #12
Mivo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Get a regular sized phone and the PW. Problem solved. It will probably suck reading on the Galaxy.
With the Super AMOLED 386 dpi 6" display, I think reading will be an amazing "woah!" kind of experience.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #13
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Only thing that might suck reading on anything not e-ink is the screen brightness and resultant eyestrain; I use a filtering app and turn the brightness down in Moon Reader, but it's still kinda bright. With proper pauses for breaks in reading however it's not a huge deal.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Why not just get both? The PW is cheap enough.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #15
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
My problem is the amount of text on screen at once. It always just 'feels' like a fragment.

Hmm - Having a quick look at the Kindle app - I have it set with ~30 lines on there, a quick check and it looks like ~9 words per line. Picking up a random paperback I see ~40 lines and ~12 words per line. Looking at my Kindle 3 I get about the same amount of text as the Note, looks like a bit more though.

Thus amount of text seems about the same as the Kindle. Looking at it with reason it can't just be the amount of text on screen at once, so I'm not sure what it is. My first intro to ereading was an old Palm, and I'd happily read on that, maybe it's just an irrational dislike of the screen for reading?

If it were me I'd still go for a new phone and a cheap ereader, pending budget.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote