Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Some tips and tricks

Some things I did not find in the manual (or maybe they are there and I just did not see them)...
I don't know in which firmware they came to the Bookeen, I just know they exist on 5.1.
  • When reading a book click in the right upper corner. The annotations menu opens. This saves 3 clicks (menu button/menu/annotations) compared to the normal way.
  • But it gets even faster. Still in reading mode, just put two fingers on the screen and hold it for about one second. The text will get marked between your fingers and a menu pops up, "Add Highlight/Add Note".
  • Want to change the font size? Just spread or pinch 2 fingers in the reading section, it will increse/decrease one font size.
  • There's a shortcut to turn on/off the light. Just press the menu button for about one second, and the light status will change. Click one short time again and the menu will close. (this works for all menus, just click the menu button once and the menu closes)
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Canapin
Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD
Thank you !
Canapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Might as well wake this one up, I never saw it before.

*Clicking in the left corner will open up the ToC, but only for epub.

*Twisting your fingers will rotate the screen and the menu. If you flip the screen in the menu, only the screen will rotate, not the menu. This is good for scanned PDFs.
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
Fourvin
Enthusiast
Fourvin began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey 2011, PocketBook Touch Lux
Another one, found in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=12 (Odyssey bricked & how to fill in ticket with Bookeen??). I have not tested it yet:

Quote:
I discovered that if you press the L + R button and then simultaneously press the Power-button, you restart the device in ''service mode''. Here you can test every different segment, as well as do a reboot/power down.
Fourvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
joepsichip
joepsichip has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight & Opus White • iRex DR800SG & iLiad 2 Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlundberg View Post

*Clicking in the left corner will open up the ToC, but only for epub.
This is true for those who have chosen not to display the header.
If the header is present in the top of the page to view the TOC you have to press in the top center.

● If you press for a short time the center of the screen menu appears.

is especially frustrating when you have to access the small notes formatted with the <sup>, because it continues to appear instead to access the link.
joepsichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Guntram
Guntram began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourvin View Post
Another one, found in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=12 (Odyssey bricked & how to fill in ticket with Bookeen??). I have not tested it yet:
In the maintenance-menu I found the option to "Format internal memory".
What do you think? Will this result in some kind of "very reset"? Anybody tried it yet? Or will it simply break the device ?
I simply want to get rid of most of the preinstalled stuff and fill the reader with my own, DRM-free ebooks.

Thanks and sorry for spamming the "Tip(p)s-and-Tricks",
Guntram
Guntram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
red13
red13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntram View Post
What do you think? Will this result in some kind of "very reset"? Anybody tried it yet? Or will it simply break the device ?
I simply want to get rid of most of the preinstalled stuff and fill the reader with my own, DRM-free ebooks.

Guntram
Think of it this way.

Deletion is like a bomb. You CAN rebuild.

Formatting is like a nuke. After the nuke hits the ground, ultimately obliterating everything within the 10 or so surrounding miles, fallout continues to rain down on the already barren spot, making it unlivable until you can somehow clean it up.

Last edited by red13; 06-23-2013 at 09:46 AM.
red13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Guntram
You can just format (did that a few times to fix corrupted internal memory).
Will delete all setting / books on the cybook.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
Fourvin
Enthusiast
Fourvin began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey 2011, PocketBook Touch Lux
Quote:
Why don't just connect your device with your PC, access its memory via the Explorer or Finder, and just delete what you want?

Sounds much simpler and easier to me!

V.
Fourvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Guntram
Guntram began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourvin View Post
Why don't just connect your device with your PC, access its memory via the Explorer or Finder, and just delete what you want?

Sounds much simpler and easier to me!
V.
I already tried this and deleted some of the preinstalled books. They did however stay in the library (even after "rebuild" of the library)! I had to delete all the Adobe DRM stuff to get rid of them.

In fact, as I don't know which are the files neccesary for the OS or which files are connected to each other or how to "binary-edit" database files, selective removing was not an option!

Thanks, EowynCarter, this is the answer I was looking for! I wasn't sure, wether the firmware residued completely on some ROM in the device or wether there were some parts on the accessible partition (which is not the case, after all)!

@red13: I don't have to understand the implications of your post in relation to my question, do I? As you may see in EowynCarters Post, formatting is the cleanest way of "rebuilding" the Odyssey.

Guntram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
vblars
Enthusiast
vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight
Quote:

Guntram
Format internal memory save my reade. Thanks for info.
vblars is offline   Reply With Quote