Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #331
camperbc
Enthusiast
camperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five words

Device: PRS-T1
I installed the June reader update on my rooted T1 about a week ago; LOVE the clock in the corner... awesome! A few minutes ago I noticed my clock had disappeared!! I got to thinking that I had just done my first reboot since I installed the update, and sure enough, everything is hunky-dory until I restart my ereader, then the clock is gone again! Is anyone else experiencing this? Turns out the same thing happens on my daughter's T1 also; clock disappears on reboot. Any suggestions why? Should we just always use standby, or will we have to keep reinstalling the update if we shut down, for all of eternity?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide; much appreciated!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #332
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
I installed the June reader update on my rooted T1 about a week ago; LOVE the clock in the corner... awesome! A few minutes ago I noticed my clock had disappeared!! I got to thinking that I had just done my first reboot since I installed the update, and sure enough, everything is hunky-dory until I restart my ereader, then the clock is gone again! Is anyone else experiencing this? Turns out the same thing happens on my daughter's T1 also; clock disappears on reboot. Any suggestions why? Should we just always use standby, or will we have to keep reinstalling the update if we shut down, for all of eternity?

Glen
I don't know if this will help or not, but on an unrooted T1 I installed the current reader app update on, I had the previous reader app already installed. And it does survive a reboot. Try installing the previous modified reader app and then the current one over that.
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #333
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I was on of the others who expressed an interest in this, only just found my way here. I'll give a look around and see if I'm up to doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can give you a hand if you like. I've already installed the modified reader on an unrooted T1. I have one other T1 to install the latest version on.
I'd like to take you up on that offer, I've stayed up way to late the last couple nights trying to finish the last two books in the ST Vanguard series only to have a cat insert himself between me and my reader and announce (loudly) time for bed and kitty snax!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #334
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@camperbc,

I just did a full shutdown of my never-rooted reader, then rebooted a few minutes later. Everything I use (fonts, font-size, clock) has survived for me. Unlike JSWolf, I didn't install the June version over the top of the earlier version, I restored to a clean Sony version first, so it doesn't sound like that's the reason for your problem.

I wonder if other rooted users are having the same problem as you?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #335
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
I also am finding that the modifications don't survive a reboot. I had installed the June reader over the previous version, so there's that.
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #336
camperbc
Enthusiast
camperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five words

It is odd, and now we learn that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I love that little clock, so I'm really hoping someone can figure out why this is happening. Sure, it's not a big deal to reinstall as I don't often shut the reader right down anyway, and it only takes seconds to install again, but still... makes one wonder why it goes poof into thin air! If anyone can get to the bottom of this, Morkl can!

By the way, and please pardon my lack of tech-savvy, but will I lose a bit of space on my reader each time I have to install this? Or does it simply overwrite the original file? (well, I warned you I'm no geek!)

Glen
Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #337
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I'd like to take you up on that offer, I've stayed up way to late the last couple nights trying to finish the last two books in the ST Vanguard series only to have a cat insert himself between me and my reader and announce (loudly) time for bed and kitty snax!
I get an angry puppy, 2 teenagers, and a husband!

Question, are we not allowed to post specific instructions in here, now that we're in the right part of the forum and correct thread?

I really want that clock, and battery level would be great too... *sighs*
Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #338
camperbc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post

Glen

Wow, nobody????
Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #339
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think anyone other than Morkl will be able to offer any explanations. The rest of us can only comment on our own experiences.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #340
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
My experience, fwiw: I installed the no-root version of the June EbookReader app on my never-rooted T1. No problems with re-boots -- I've done both shutdown and soft reset more than once, and the EbookReader (with clock and custom fonts) survived all.

(This was the first time I installed the EbookReader, so it went over original software. I also did a manual install.)
Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #341
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like it's only a problem on a rooted T1 that the modified reader app doesn't survive a reboot.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #342
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@camperbc,

Do any features, other than the clock, survive, i.e. custom css, font-size, page-refresh rate?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #343
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@camperbc,

Do any features, other than the clock, survive, i.e. custom css, font-size, page-refresh rate?
I was able to restore everything back to the way I had it by just installing the June APK again. The .xml and .css documents remained where they were.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #344
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I was able to restore everything back to the way I had it by just installing the June APK again. The .xml and .css documents remained where they were.
Yes, I understand that. I was trying to ascertain whether, when the new app "disappears", do ALL features disappear or just the clock visibility. I don't mean the files themselves, I mean the functionality.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to help fix this problem, but the more facts available to someone with the technical know-how, the better.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #345
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes, I understand that. I was trying to ascertain whether, when the new app "disappears", do ALL features disappear or just the clock visibility. I don't mean the files themselves, I mean the functionality.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to help fix this problem, but the more facts available to someone with the technical know-how, the better.
The features don't "disappear" so much as the T1 goes back to running the stock reader. (F'rex, the font selections go back to the default ones.)

That said, I have experimented and found that the no-root installer can be used on a rooted T1, and that doing so means that the changes survive a reboot.
Closed Thread