Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
behasty
behasty began at the beginning.

Device: non
Where can I find professional ebook writers

Hi,
I am trying to write my first ebook,but am very slow at typing are there any ideas to locate an expert to do that for me?
behasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
Steve_D
Steve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to behold

Device: iPhone 3GS
So do you have the book already written on paper and you want to transfer it to a text document? You could place an advert on one of the various freelancer exchange sites for someone to type it up for you at a rate you can afford.

If you haven't yet written the book (e.g. if its at ideas in the head stage), then that would be trickier of course... your best bet would be to learn to touch type
Steve_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
How about one of the voice to text programs like Dragon that you see in the tv ads.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I'll probably be in the minority here, but I'd suggest you just practice typing. With practice comes speed; I didn't get as fast as I am without having to spend most of a week typing out several thousand names and addresses for a database.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Steve_D
Steve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to behold

Device: iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseTheStacks View Post
How about one of the voice to text programs like Dragon that you see in the tv ads.
I don't think they're accurate enough to produce text that is ready for commercial release... not without some heavy proofing anyway. At least not in my experience!
Steve_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If your raw material is really worth more than the opportunity it represents, just wave some money around. Most of us aren't that well-off, and have to do our own work. I can't feel my hands much and have to closely watch my one-fingered peck and listen for the click of the keys, but it gets done.

The words "my first ebook" indicate several things of note; all of which might be best addressed by a local writer's group. If you're in a populous area they're common and you likely have numerous choices.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I'll probably be in the minority here, but I'd suggest you just practice typing. With practice comes speed; I didn't get as fast as I am without having to spend most of a week typing out several thousand names and addresses for a database.
Yep, I agree with you 100%. I just can't see how someone could put their thoughts on paper nowadays, without the editing tools of the computer. And the voice to page stuff is still not there.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There was an interview on the BBC a few days ago with Terry Pratchett, and something I found interesting was that he said that he no longer type, as a result of his Alzheimer's, and now writes his books using Dragon Dictate, and that for him this works very well. I would imagine, though, that his assistant tidies it up afterwards, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I've written a fantasy short story using Windows Vista's built in speech recognition software and it was surprisingly painless.

Dictation is an option.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post
I don't think they're (i.e. voice recog programs) accurate enough to produce text that is ready for commercial release... not without some heavy proofing anyway.
No text be it commercial, academic, or whatever, be it typed, dictated or manually written is ready for release without some heavy proofing, as you call it.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I didn't know any typing when I wrote my first book. Even now after taking some typing lessons, I can barely type. I have about dozen eBooks. The point I am trying to make is that you don't need to be typing expert. You can get it typed after writing on old fashion yellow pad. Conversion to various formats is real easy. Hope it helps.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I taught myself to touch type from an old typing book of my mother's. I really think you'd be doing yourself a great favor if you taught yourself to type properly. I spent a bit of time on it, but I rushed through some of the exercises - particularly the ones that deal with the numbers row. Even now I can't do the numbers, and I wish I'd put the time and effort in to really do it properly and get my speed and accuracy up. I've got some bad habits with typing and they really annoy me.

When you're writing a book, I think you need to be able to concentrate on what you're writing. If you can't type, it just gets in the way.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
...and while doing so (i.e. learning to type) just be glad you don't make said experience on an old mechanic typewriter. the beginners exercises like typing 5 lines ol "a" are a pain in the fingers on those.
Altough there were benefits with the old thingys - the modern keyboards lack the comfort space between the keys. (and the sound isn't just the same)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
I taught myself to touch type from an old typing book of my mother's. I really think you'd be doing yourself a great favor if you taught yourself to type properly. I spent a bit of time on it, but I rushed through some of the exercises - particularly the ones that deal with the numbers row. Even now I can't do the numbers, and I wish I'd put the time and effort in to really do it properly and get my speed and accuracy up. I've got some bad habits with typing and they really annoy me.

When you're writing a book, I think you need to be able to concentrate on what you're writing. If you can't type, it just gets in the way.
Guess I got lucky; that database required me to type thirteen bajillion street addresses, so I had to learn the numbers and eventually switched to the 10-key for speed. Only drawback, I'm so much faster entering numbers on the 10-key that I have to have one on my laptop.

So much for netbooks...
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Guess I got lucky; that database required me to type thirteen bajillion street addresses, so I had to learn the numbers and eventually switched to the 10-key for speed. Only drawback, I'm so much faster entering numbers on the 10-key that I have to have one on my laptop.

So much for netbooks...
You know that you can get external
USB numeric keypads?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote