Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I downloaded the Window x64 version to use with Windows 7.

I no longer have any problem splitting or re-ordering chapters and the way you handled the error correction is perfect for me.
that's encouraging, I have same O/S but have not yet dared to move from 0.3.4. the merge/delete chapter bug reports in 0.40, 0.41 were worrying me.

Is there anywhere a summary list of key differences between 0.3 & 0.4, I am still unclear as to what end-user benefits I'll see from upgrading
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #17
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Is there anywhere a summary list of key differences between 0.3 & 0.4, I am still unclear as to what end-user benefits I'll see from upgrading
Have you had a look at the blog post? It linked to the changelog
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
wow! i found 7 of them (charlie chan novels) here!
May the thread gods forgive me.

Before looking elsewhere don't forget that Mobileread has an excellent library of nicely formatted books. Here is a Charlie Chan omnibus edition in ePub.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert19 View Post
Have you had a look at the blog post? It linked to the changelog
well yes, but I was hoping for a simplified set of highlights, skip over 0.40,0.41 just cut straight to the KEY differences between the old stable version 0.3.4. and the new stable? version 0.42

marketing blurb style:

nnn reasons to upgrade

nnn new features - list

nnn essential bug fixes - list
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Basically, Sigil 0.4 will retain the original ToC from the ePub (you no longer need to change headings that use paragraph tags to <h1> etc if you just want to do a quick edit). It allows the .opf and .ncx files to be edited manually and allows you to fix xml errors manually instead of trying to fix them automatically (which would often cause large chunks to be deleted).

All the issues that I know of with chapter splitting have been fixed.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no reason to stick with 0.3.4 over 0.4.2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no reason to stick with 0.3.4 over 0.4.2.
I would say there is a LOT to say for going to 4.2.

Like leaving any existing TOC alone, way less nastiness on splitting
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #23
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would say there is a LOT to say for going to 4.2.

Like leaving any existing TOC alone, way less nastiness on splitting
Agree, so far 4.2 is the best release yet. Looking forward to things continuing to get even better.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #24
cybmole
Wizard

well I don't need the "keep existing TOC" feature, but 3 endorsements in a row from respected posters has be almost convinced to upgrade.
I use sigil for fixing badly formatted books, so I use split & merge a LOT & I do a lot of fixes via regex where I rely on sigil to fix up closing tags e.g. I'll find constructions like
<p class = whatever > Chapter
& replace with
<h2 class = whatever > Chapter
then sigil / tidy changes the closing /p to /h2 for me. not having to fix the closing tags makes writing regex much easier
can I get same behaviour from 4.2 ?
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
<p class = whatever > Chapter
& replace with
<h2 class = whatever > Chapter
then sigil / tidy changes the closing /p to /h2 for me. not having to fix the closing tags makes writing regex much easier
can I get same behaviour from 4.2 ?
I do exactly this with 0.4.2
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #26
cybmole
Wizard

ok thanks - I've finally done the upgrade , to same folder as 0.3.4. thus overwriting - looks OK but have not used it for real editing yet.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
ok thanks - I've finally done the upgrade , to same folder as 0.3.4. thus overwriting - looks OK but have not used it for real editing yet.
A few differences:
The keystrokes to open the TOC editor changed from F7 to Alt+F3
To (re)generate the TOC, you need to use the button at the bottom of the TOC browser. BTW you can now click on a TOC item and it opens the page containing the anchor
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #28
cybmole
Wizard

thanks - I'm already finding uses for the ability to manually edit existing TOC. I like to remove surplus waffle at start & end of books & I see that I can cut those nav points from the toc manually, rather than regenerate the whole thing.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
cjallan
Enthusiast
cjallan doesn't littercjallan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Sigil Icons all over my Desktop after yesterday's install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
0.4.2 is now available. See this for the full release announcement.
I was in love with Sigil yesterday... but today I'm scared silly.

I downloaded and installed in one operation... by that, I mean that I downloaded it, then immediately opened, closed everything else that was open (as per instructions), then let it install.

I used it only to look at a Calibre-built epub file, to check validation only...
I did not edit or do anything else.

Today my Desktop is filled with big purple Sigil icons.

It appears that every text file and html file has been turned into a Sigil file.

Please find attached (I hope!) a screen shot of my Sigil About box, and also a screen shot to show what Sigil had done to a simple Notepad text file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil about box.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	76292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Simple Notepad txt file changed by Sigil.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	76293  
cjallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #30
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The installer asks if you want to set Sigil to be the default application for a number of file types. If you said yes then it sets it self up that way. The easiest thing to do is uninstall Sigil (this clears its associations) and reinstall being sure to uncheck the file associations you don't want.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote