Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
applewine
Enthusiast
applewine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Lightbulb How Amazon Can Offer Printed Kindle Combos Now

All amazon has to do is give a gift certificate when you buy both kindle and printed copy together and this will allow them to keep their current publisher contracts and still provide a discounted combo deal that will increase their profit per sale, total sales, and expand their market share in printed books and increase customer loyalty and satisfaction all in one move.

I don't like having to choose between printed or e-book or paying full price to buy the same book twice, and I'm sure other people don't either.
applewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
applewine
Enthusiast

To be clear, the gift card would not make the digital copy free. It would merely make the combo of buying both the printed copy and the digital copy cost less together than it otherwise would without the gift certificate.

This benefits from the the opportunity cost that is lost by not taking advantage of those who would like the flexibility of having the ability to read in either format depending on the circumstances, and understanding that very few would pay full price to buy the exact same book twice.
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not at all sure that this would appeal to many people. I generally want only an ebook; my whole reason for buying ebooks is that paper books use up too much space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I agree with HarryT.

The only time I would use this feature would be if a friend (who doesn't have an e-reader) and I are buying the same book and need to read it at the same time (ie. new release book or required for school). Then, I would read the ebook and my friend would read the printed book. However, in this case, both of us would have bought the book anyways, so this promotion is not really helping Amazon.

I could see some people with e-readers taking advantage of this offer, and then reselling the physical copy for a price that undercuts Amazon (depending on the gift card value). I myself would not go through the trouble of buying a product and shipping it off, unless the reward was something like $20.

Perhaps if you could explain the benefits of having both (besides being able to share), I would better understand your argument.

Last edited by kranu; 07-07-2011 at 01:57 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's the problem - such a system would be very open to abuse. You could simply sell the paper copy and end up with an effectively free ebook.
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that's the problem - such a system would be very open to abuse. You could simply sell the paper copy and end up with an effectively free ebook.
Well, not free, but heavily discounted (gift card would not be the full value of the book, according to #2)
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But the value of the proposed gift card, plus the resale value of the paper book, could very well exceed the original purchase price.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
applewine
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Well, not free, but heavily discounted (gift card would not be the full value of the book, according to #2)
Ok. I may have this figured out. You pay the full price for the PAPER book and then you get a special gift card good only for the purchase of the e-book version (which is not transferable and sellable, so would not be prone to abuse or lower the market rate of the printed book)

That is how Amazon can increase e-book sales and allow people to keep a hard copy and enjoy the portable and light weight convenience of the e-book.

Like I said, this should not decease profits, but increase them, because it would appealing to customers who would otherwise buy only the paper OR the e-book, not both, since paying full price for the same book twice is very unappealing.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewine View Post
Ok. I may have this figured out. You pay the full price for the PAPER book and then you get a special gift card good only for the purchase of the e-book version (which is not transferable and sellable, so would not be prone to abuse or lower the market rate of the printed book)
That doesn't change the first scenario. You buy the paper book and then you sell the paper book. Amazon can lock down eBooks just fine, but that wouldn't matter if all you were in it for was the eBook.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Even if Amazon were receptive to the idea, agency pricing takes most ebook pricing completely out of Amazon hands (including discounts and coupons). The publishers would have to give it their blessing—and why would they?

In short, Amazon doesn't have the authority to give away (or deep discount) the publishers ebooks, regardless of how you dress it up. The publisher sets the ebook price period.

It might work with publishers other than the Big Six, but that's about it.

Plus Amazon would never survive, they'd basically be giving away free (or cheap) pbooks and still paying the publishers full retail for the ebook you "bought" with their gift card (plus whatever they owe the publisher for the pbook). Why would they want to lose cash on every transaction like that?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-14-2011 at 09:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #11
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
The only way to make that work was if the publishers themselves approved the idea, they would win with it.

Like you buy the pBook and you only have to pay 50% for the eBook, highly tempting and they would be selling 2 copies per person, one of them has an high promotion but they don't have that many expenses to create an ebook (they still haven't noticed that it seems, keep pricing things the same or higher than pBook, doesn't make sense, they only have to work on it one time, and not worry about any costs).
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
applewine
Enthusiast

Oh, I didn't realize the contracts prevented gift cards as a result of the purchase. How do you guys know so much about their contracts?

My idea did take care of the problem of re-selling the paper books though, because they were bought at full price, so that is no different. It will not further lower the used book price.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewine View Post
My idea did take care of the problem of re-selling the paper books though, because they were bought at full price, so that is no different. It will not further lower the used book price.
I disagree. For the publisher, they don't care about whether the paper book is bought at full price or at a discounted price, what they care is how much TOTAL money they get, and that is the revenue from both eBook and paper material. It's a total lose lose situation for them in that scenario because they either get the same revenue as before, or they lose a customer due to sharing.

The only way this would work is to somehow lock down both the eBook AND the paper copy or they have to work some magic with the pricing. Finding a price that creates more demand (and therefore more revenue) that covers how much they lose from discounting.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
All the publisher has to do is arrange for the Kindle edition license to show up automatically in your account. They already do this at Amazon for special Buy One Book, Get a Second Book Free special offers that they have done. I have several books in my account that were obtained as the "free" book (including one where the "buy" book was free by mistake, giving me two free books at once). The only issue is that on the Kindle edition page, it doesn't show that you own it (and probably would not stop you from purchasing it again, if you wanted to).

It's something that publishers will probably go to in order to rescue hardcover sales, if the ever-so-much more profitable agency model for ebooks gets shot down (as the courts in the US and EU are looking at it quite closely).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
Refom1
Member Retired
Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kindle 2, Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not at all sure that this would appeal to many people. I generally want only an ebook; my whole reason for buying ebooks is that paper books use up too much space.
I agree. I got my first Kindle in 2007 and haven't bought a paper book since.
Refom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combo