Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Comparing Opus, EZ Reader, and Sony 300

I am putting this here. This is the early days yet, but I am trying to spell out the differences in order to get additional feedback from the community so that I can clean up my comparison. (Also see E-book_Reader_Matrix.)

I know there are a few other choices, but these are the ones I am comparing. Of course, the Bebook Mini is essentially the EzReader from a different company. However, I don't have the detailed differences and as a US buyer the EzReader is more appropriate.
======================================
Summary
Opus: The only support for DRM mobipocket, but you will have to download alternative firmware and give up PDF/EPUB DRM to get it. Available now (August 2009)

Pocket Pro: Many more features than Sony 300; Much cheaper than Opus. Supports the most file options, includes a leather case, text-to-speech, and an MP3 player. Available in 6 different colors. (Expected to be available end of August 2009)

Sony: Stripped down model that is the cheapest. If Sony offers their credit card deal on this you might be able to eventually find it for under $100. (Availability unknown as of 8/1/2009)

Detailed Feature Comparison

O:Opus; P:Pocket Pro; 3:Sony 300
Price
O:$280 P:$229 3:$199 (Plus possible Sony credit card rebate)

Comment: Sony is clearly the winner here. However, the Pocket Pro has some extra features that may justify the price. If you are a U.S. resident it does not appear that the Opus offers any return for the extra $$.
Display
Identical displays, but
O: 4 grayscale; P: 8 grayscale; 3: 8 grayscale
Performance
O:400Mhz Samsung; Last generation Apollo display controller
P:400Mhz Samsung; Fast Epson display controller
3:Last gen CPU (not sure I believe this); Controller unknown

Comment: From the known spec's the clear nod is to the Pocketpro. I really question the accuracy of the 300 information. The 300 chip quoted is not just last-gen, but from a model that is over a year old. I'm not sure why they would package a display controller supporting 8 levels with a very old CPU.
Storage
O: 1 GB internal plus MicroSD
P: 512MB internal plus SD up to 16GB
3: 512MB internal no card slot

Comment: I really wondered about the no card slot on the Sony 300 and thought it might be a oversight. However, J&R notes that the 512MB lets you carry up to 350 books. It seems to confirm that there is not an external card slot. Opus has an edge with its internal memory, and the Sony has a serious disadvantage.
Formats
All three readers support: Txt, EPUB*, PDF*

O: HTML; Also JPEG, PNG, GIF. Alternate firmware supports Mobi instead of EPUB/PDF DRM;
P: PRC(Mobi),PDB,DOC,HTML,FB2,LIT,PRC,WOL,CHM; Also many non-book formats including: MP3,PPT,TIF,PNG,GIF,RAR,ZIP,DJVU,JPG,BMP
3: BBeB Book*,RTF file,Word file

* indicates both DRM and non-DRM format support

Comments: none of the units support DRM .mobi out of the box. However, the Pocketpro will support non-DRM mobi. In addition, the Opus allows a firmware change that enables DRM mobi instead of DRM EPUB/PDF

Size
O: 4.2 x 6 x 0.4 5.3 oz
P: 4.1 x 6 x 0.4 6 oz
3: 4.2 x 6.2 x 0.4 7.76 oz

Comment: I call this a tie. Size is essentially the same. If weight matters, the Opus is the lightest. Although the Sony is the heaviest, it might be that they have chosen to use a metal case -- The Sony 500/505 has a metal case that has a good, solid feel.

Fonts
Epub Font Sizes: O: 12; P: 5; 3: 3
User Replaceable fonts are a mobi feature so are supported in the pocketpro and the Opus with the alternate firmware (probably).

Accessories
O: Leather sleeve, USB cable
P: Leather case, USB Cable, ear buds, A/C charger, wrist leash, battery-door screwdriver
3: Sleeve, USB Cable

User Replaceable Battery?
O: Yes
P: Yes
3: ???

Other
O: Accelerometer-flip the reader over and it flips the page; 1 case color; no bookmarks
P: Text-to-speech, MP3 player & equalizer; 6 case colors
3: 2? case colors. Possible deal if you apply for new Sony credit card

Last edited by emellaich; 08-03-2009 at 12:50 PM.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have added the PRS-300 to the E-book Reader Matrix.

What I would add to your list is case colors (Opus one, PRS-300 two(?), Pocket Pro six), which you did mention, and font sizes for ePub (Opus 12, PRS-300 three, Pocket Pro five).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I think you should add as a feature if the battery is user replaceable.

This always irked me about the Ipods - the devices longevity depended on how long the battery would hold a charge.

The Pocket Pro is user replaceable, but I am not sure about Sony or Opus.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

What I would add to your list is case colors (Opus one, PRS-300 two(?), Pocket Pro six), which you did mention, and font sizes for ePub (Opus 12, PRS-300 three, Pocket Pro five).
I did mean to leave a reference to the E-book matrix, but I ran out of time and didn't have the URL handy. What is the rule about subtracting stuff from the matrix? Is it time for Polymer vision to be removed?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Epub Font Sizes: O: 1; P: 6; 3: 3
User Replaceable fonts?: O: Yes?; P: Yes?; 3: Yes?
Didn't HarryT say the Opus let you choose 12 font sizes for ePUB? (No font family selection, though.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Epub Font Sizes: O: 1; P: 6; 3: 3
This should be:

Epub Font Sizes: O: 12; P: 5; 3: 3
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You forget JPEG, PNG, GIF and Mobi for the Opus (even if you can't have Mobi and ePub at the same time)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Thumbs down

No bookmarks support on Opus.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Pocket PRO additional fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

I think it worth mentioning that the FAQ sheet for the Pocket PRO provides where to get additiona fonts and how to load them.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote