Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
DocHamm
DocHamm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sci-Fi fanatic joins your ranks...

Let me introduce myself ...

My birthday just passed and my husband purchased me a PRS-505 and I am loving it! I've been looking at it for over a year and he said I was taking too long to make a decision, so he made it for me.

I'm not new to ebooks, just dedicated readers. Till now my reading devices were my computers, iPaq and i-Mate. While I love being able to tote around my books, and enjoy the all-in-one deivces like my i-Mate (pocketpc and cell), I find the backlight makes my eyes weary after long periods of reading. I enjoy reading on my laptop, but it's large and heavy. For the past couple of days I've been in bliss reading on my PRS-505.

I'm an ebook-holic. I have accumulated tons. My most used formats are .lit, .pdf (needs compression) and .chm, the latter two of which are mostly work related. As a computer engineer I get hundreds of technical articles and manuals in the .pdf and .chm format, thus my library is mostly full of boring technical manuals.

This year I decided to spend more time reading for enjoyment and the 505 will be a big help. As a big music lover, I'm also glad it can play music or the odd audiobook I have lying around.

I've already poured over the ebook index here and have several books now to read, thank you. I am looking forward to more reading and hopefully being able to contribute in the future, once I get a better handle on conversion. I get frustrated with poor formatting, and being a perfectionist, I just have to straighten badly formatted ebooks out. So at the very least, I hope to help in that capacity.

--end of babbling--

Doc Hamm
DocHamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHamm View Post
I'm an ebook-holic. I have accumulated tons.
Welcome to the blog DocHamm (is that MD or PhD?). BTW with a ton of ebooks, do the 1's weigh more than the 0's? --- Enquiring minds want to know!

P.S. If you like SciFi you might try Baen, especially their "free" library.

Last edited by slayda; 04-01-2008 at 03:19 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Welcome. One caution: using the audio feature of the Reader will drain the battery. Better just to hum to yourself. It's particularly effective when there are people around. I find they quickly disperse and I have a nice quiet space to read.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
DocHamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Welcome to the blog DocHamm ... BTW with a ton of ebooks, do the 1's weigh more than the 0's? --- Enquiring minds want to know!
Thanks! The zeros always weight more. 160GB is about 0.353lbs [Passport] x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Welcome. One caution: using the audio feature of the Reader will drain the battery. Better just to hum to yourself. It's particularly effective when there are people around. I find they quickly disperse and I have a nice quiet space to read.
Thanks to you too! I suspected audio to be hard on lithium-ions. I've tested the humming theory in some small cafe's, but then end result was an intimate group that soon burst out into song.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Thanks! The zeros always weight more. 160GB is about 0.353lbs [Passport] x4.
That's because the 0s don't compress as well as 1s because 0s are round and fat.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
I've tested the humming theory in some small cafe's, but then end result was an intimate group that soon burst out into song.
I thought that only happened in movies and restaurant commercials. Tell me, was everyone in the cafe 18-25 yrs old, good-looking and fashionably dressed?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to the MobileRead asylum, DocHamm. Clearly you'll fit in nicely with the rest of us inmates.

In case you aren't yet aware, libprs500's lit2lrf function may be of some help to you with your LIT library ... with or without a little utility called ConvertLit.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi DocHamm and welcome to the Forum. You are going to fit right in!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
DocHamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I thought that only happened in movies and restaurant commercials. Tell me, was everyone in the cafe 18-25 yrs old, good-looking and fashionably dressed?
Oddly, exactly the opposite. More of the 40+ mediocre looking in worn T-shirts and jeans. The bohemian coffee-cuppers anonymous dropouts. And, from personal experience, not really up to singing either.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
DocHamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
That's because the 0s don't compress as well as 1s because 0s are round and fat.
Too true .. touché!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
DocHamm

Thanks for all the welcomes. I am looking forward to all the information and knowledge I can gleen .. and the witty banter!