Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Footnotes/Endnotes

What does the Epub Spec say about Footnotes/Endnotes?

As of now, this will have to be done manually, unless there is something I have not found. Going to the endnote is no problem, but how is one to return to the point of departure? In MOBI this is handled by some sort of "BACK" command. Some PG files provide a link back. This can be problematical if the reader is not paying attention.

What say the experts?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The spec says nothing, only that links are suported.

As for returning to the main text, that should be a feature of the reading software. The Cybooks, for instance, have a "back" button that works fine after following a link to an end note. In my books, I add a "Back" link to the endnote that points to the paragraph where the note appears in the text (this could be problematic if there are several links to the same note, though).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Even in readers which don't have a "Back" button it's not a particular issue. All you have to do is remember to make a mental note of the page number you're on at the time you click the endnote link, and then go back to that page after. Every reader that I know of has a "goto page x" facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The spec says nothing, only that links are suported.

As for returning to the main text, that should be a feature of the reading software. The Cybooks, for instance, have a "back" button that works fine after following a link to an end note. In my books, I add a "Back" link to the endnote that points to the paragraph where the note appears in the text (this could be problematic if there are several links to the same note, though).
I've put in some endnote links and I have two testing problems. In Sigil, going from the Endnote link, e.g. [1], to the endnote target works but there is no way to return to the main text.

I've the same problem with ADE which is my Epub test tool. I can go from the link to the target but have found no way to return. Anyone know how ADE does this?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Even in readers which don't have a "Back" button it's not a particular issue. All you have to do is remember to make a mental note of the page number you're on at the time you click the endnote link, and then go back to that page after. Every reader that I know of has a "goto page x" facility.
That will work, Harry, but seems rather clumsy.
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I've put in some endnote links and I have two testing problems. In Sigil, going from the Endnote link, e.g. [1], to the endnote target works but there is no way to return to the main text.

I've the same problem with ADE which is my Epub test tool. I can go from the link to the target but have found no way to return. Anyone know how ADE does this?
same way HTML does.

Anchor tag in the original.
Code:
<a id="chapter_19.2"></a>
and the link back in the notes:
Code:
<a href="../Text/Chapter_19.html%23chapter_19.2">

be sure to use relative locations in the href, not absolute (sigil type example)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic

[QUOTE=theducks;946515]same way HTML does.
QUOTE]

I guess I wasn't clear. I have all of the links in and they seem to work fine.

When testing in ADE and click on a footnote, the footnote comes up fine.

Now, how do I return from the footnote to the main text. In Mobipocket Reader, I merely hit backspace. What do I hit in ADE?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
[QUOTE=crutledge;946650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
same way HTML does.
QUOTE]

I guess I wasn't clear. I have all of the links in and they seem to work fine.

When testing in ADE and click on a footnote, the footnote comes up fine.

Now, how do I return from the footnote to the main text. In Mobipocket Reader, I merely hit backspace. What do I hit in ADE?
I was not clear, either. you put a reverse link (that was why my example anchor was "19.1" That anchor is near the first footnote reference in chapter 19.

At the end of your foot note place a (reference)link(s) to where it could be called from

(1) my footnote. Blah Blah [ch19,ch21]
that have the appropriate href with anchor specifier (aka #19.1)

It is all manual labor. I keep an open text file on the other screen, with useful snippets that I copy paste into my WIP and tweak the finer points
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Last time I tried this for my Sony Reader, it would go out, but it would not come back, apparently due to a flaw in the Sony implementation of ADE.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Last time I tried this for my Sony Reader, it would go out, but it would not come back, apparently due to a flaw in the Sony implementation of ADE.
I don't believe it's your Sony Reader. I have searched all data on ADE and nowhere are footnotes addressed. Nothing in the spec says anything about returning from a footnote so none was implemented.

The Epub reader in Calibre has the same problem. Mobipocket Reader solved the prtoblem with the "back" control.

This can be overcome by inserting code in the book to allow the reader to click on the footnote and return. The only problem with this is when there are multiple calls to the same footnote.

And deeper and deeper ...
Old 06-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the epub reader is calibre has a back button.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the epub reader is calibre has a back button.
BACKSPACE???
Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The very first button in toolbar.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Every reader that I know of has a "goto page x" facility.
just an FYI; My Kobo eReader does not have any sort of 'GOTO PAGE' function with the current firmware. It also has absolutely no hyperlink support :/
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
<a id="chapter_19.2"></a>
and the link back in the notes:
Code:
<a href="../Text/Chapter_19.html%23chapter_19.2">
Why not <A NAME="...">?
Code:
<a name="chapter_19.2"></a>
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote