Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #196
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I sent 2 other books without incident, but this particular one didn't work. Any ideas?

unicode' object has no attribute 'isoformat'
Reportedly fixed in next release (0.7.27).
Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #197
AxelK
AxelK began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

Quick start: 'Connect to iTunes' mode
[LIST=1][*]Launch iTunes with no connected iDevices.[*]Launch calibre, set Preferences:
  • Preferences|General|Preferred output format to EPUB
  • Preferences|Conversion|Page Setup|Output profile to iPad
  • Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins|Apple device interface - click Enable/Disable plugin so that driver is disabled (grayed out)
Many thanks, I tried it and it works.
But just to understand it, why do I have to DISABLE the iTunes driver if I want Calibre to connect to iTunes ?
What else is the driver good for ?

thanx

axel
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 AM   #198
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelK View Post
why do I have to DISABLE the iTunes driver if I want Calibre to connect to iTunes ?
Your not disbaling the "itunes" driver you are disabling the Apple device interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelK View Post
What else is the driver good for ?
The Apple device interface driver attempts to interface in real time to the iPad or iPhone via itunes. In theory the ipad would look like any other ereader device when connected in this manner. The reality though is that often variances in itune setups get in the way. I suspect there are some folks that would prefer the Apple interface driver be removed as the Connect to itunes feature is less problematic.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #199
AxelK
AxelK began at the beginning.

Hi dwanthny,

thanks for the quick reply.
Now it makes much more sense. Calibre did NOT recognize my iPad automatically, so as you say the way via iTunes seems much easier.

Thanks again,

axel
Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #200
Wreybies
M.P.
Wreybies began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi
I must be missing something. I followed the directions as noted, I have the Apple Device Interface disabled (greyed out). I restart Calibre.

I go to Send to Device (drop down arrow), but I do not get an option in the drop down menu that says Connect to iTunes or Send to iTunes or anything else having to do with iTunes.

Have I missed a step? I'm on a MacBook in case that makes any difference and Calibre 0.7.3. iTunes is the latest update, not sure what number, but I always say yes to the updates, so whatever is the newest.....

Help?

EDIT ~ NEVER MIND! A simple update with Calibre fixed the issue. I leave the post as is in case someone else has this issue and can learn from my simple fix.

Last edited by Wreybies; 11-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #201
gerardpy
gerardpy began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Device Not Connected Error

The instructions you give here no longer apply:
Quick start: 'Connect to iTunes' mode
Launch iTunes with no connected iDevices.
Launch calibre, set Preferences:
Preferences|General|Preferred output format to EPUB -
Latest Calibre Doesn't have this option.
Preferences|Conversion|Page Setup|Output profile to iPad -
Latest Calibre Doesn't have this option.
Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins|Apple device interface - click Enable/Disable plugin so that driver is disabled (grayed out) -
This still works
Restart calibre.
Select Send to device↓Connect to iTunes to connect iTunes as a Reader. -
If you start Calibre without the Apple Device With no Devices connected you won't get the option to Send to Device.
Also with the Apple plugin disabled you can't get the option to Send to Device
Please advise.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #202
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

I have no apple devices but I can clarify some things for you. First the instructions in the first post definitely still apply mostly as written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardpy View Post
Preferences|General|Preferred output format to EPUB
Preferences - Behavior - Preferred output format - epub.

Quote:
Preferences|Conversion|Page Setup|Output profile to iPad
Preferences - common options (under conversion section) - page setup - Output profile to iPad

Quote:
Select Send to device↓Connect to iTunes to connect iTunes as a Reader. - If you start Calibre without the Apple Device With no Devices connected you won't get the option to Send to Device.
If you use the Connect to iTunes feature then Send to device will be available once you're "connected". This will allow you to send to itunes.

Quote:
Also with the Apple plugin disabled you can't get the option to Send to Device
Again, If you use the Connect to iTunes feature then Send to device will be available once you're "connected". This will allow you to send to itunes.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-18-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #203
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
... the instructions in the first post definitely still apply mostly as written ...
Original post edited, thanks @dwanthny.

G
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #204
JeFurry
JeFurry began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-505
The latest version of iBooks on the iPad and iPhone now supports Collections. This will obviously be a desirable feature for any Calibre users, but it's not immediately obvious how this data can be synced with, or might be created in, iTunes. Does anyone have any information on this yet?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #205
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The initial investigatiosn suggest that it cannot be done via iTunes, but only done manually on the iPad. Of course if anyone knows better....
Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #206
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeFurry View Post
The latest version of iBooks on the iPad and iPhone now supports Collections. This will obviously be a desirable feature for any Calibre users, but it's not immediately obvious how this data can be synced with, or might be created in, iTunes. Does anyone have any information on this yet?
There is a feature enhancement ticket requesting that calibre support the Collections feature in iBooks 1.2.

Calibre's iDevice driver communicates with the iDevice exclusively through iTunes automation, and it appears that iTunes does not currently support assigning books to collections - as far as I can tell, it can only be done directly on the device.

For now, that means it won't be possible to implement this feature within calibre.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 12-18-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #207
Hoghead
Hoghead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Galaxy Tab
First of all I'd like to say that Calibre is more addicting than any computer game ever created. This thing should probably come with a disclaimer "Warning: You may have so much fun databasing your books you might forget to actually read them."

I'm having a duplication issue, I think. If I edit an existing ePub, I want to send an updated copy to iTunes. If I get a better cover, find a typo, whatever reason. Or maybe I’ve just changed some meta data.

I’m getting duplicate books in iTunes when I try to update a book. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, maybe I didn’t RTFM enough, or maybe I just assumed it would work differently.

Here is my basic setup:
OSX 10.6.5
Calibre 0.7.34
iTunes 10.1.1 (4)
All configured for English

My basic Calibre setup:
Preferences > Conversion > Common Options > Page Setup > Output Profile: iPad
Preferences > Interface > Behavior > Preferred Output Format: EPUB
Preferences > Advanced > Plugins > Device Interface Plugins >Apple Device Interface: Disabled

My typical steps:
1. Open Calibre
2. Open iTunes (usually, it’s running 24/7 anyway)
3. In Calibre, choose Connect/Share from the toolbar, Connect to iTunes
4. Wait a second or two while it finds the books on the device and adds the column, then shows the books On Device.
5. Select the book(s) I’ve updated. For example; BOOKNAME.
6. Click “Send to Device”
7. Check \itunes\books\AUTHORNAME\
8. I’ve got the original BOOKNAME and another file named BOOKNAME 1

This happens even if I don’t change anything, simply re-sending the book does it.

That, or I get some other weird thing where Calibre shows (X books) on device when there isn’t really (restarting Calibre and reconnecting fixes this)

Help.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #208
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Help.
I need to see a debug trace.

Follow the directions in the first post in this thread to capture a debug trace.

Do the minimum necessary to cause the problem to occur.

Create a ticket as described in the first post, attach the debug trace to the ticket.

G
Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #209
Hoghead
Hoghead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Galaxy Tab
Ticket Generated

Thanks I've generated a ticket, couldn't make the command line work so I chose the restart in debug mode option.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #210
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Thanks, GRiker. Great instructions. Success. No problems. No questions. Heh.
Closed Thread