Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
tobymax
tobymax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Questions about Nook

I am leaning towards getting the Nook but have a few questions.

1) I don't have WiFi at home. Can I still download from home? Or do I need
to change my phone subscriber from Comcast to Verizon? I am confused about
G3.

2) I have tons of novels on my computer by epub and pdf. Can I place them
on my nook? Also why doesn't it take LIT files? Will it?

3) I read a lot late at night since I have a hard time sleeping and wonder
what kind of light I can attach to it. Do I need to buy a Nook light? I would
like to not have to use a lamp.

Thank you.
tobymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
1) If you purchase books from Barnes & Noble, it will download them via WiFi if you've got it, then the 3G SIM card that comes with your nook, assuming that you're in the 3G range. If you don't have either, then I think it only supports sideloading via USB. If you softroot your nook, and want to download books via the Trook application, you need WiFi, or a replacement 3G SIM.

2) The nook can only read eReader, ePub, PDF and text files. My impression is that LIT file format is a dying format. Your best bet for reading LIT files on the nook is to use Calibre to convert them to ePub format. In general, if you have DRM-free files that are not one of the formats the nook supports, you can use Calibre to convert them to ePub.

3) The nook is an E-Ink screen, and requires an external light source. Just about any external book light would work with it.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
There is a $4 light that a lot of people use (including myself) and it does a great job. Here's the link:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26822
and the forum link to people talking about it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73214
Here's a link for a 20 pack of batteries for the light as well.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.751

Hope this helps with #3 at least!
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymax View Post
I am leaning towards getting the Nook but have a few questions.

1) I don't have WiFi at home. Can I still download from home? Or do I need
to change my phone subscriber from Comcast to Verizon? I am confused about
G3.
On a softrooted (=hacked) nook, which is an easy and riskfree process, you can exchange the original AT&T SIM and replace it by your own. So you can have 3G everywhere, even outside US.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
To clarify the wireless for you: the nook comes with a built-in connection to AT&T's celllular network. If you live in an area with AT&T coverage, your nook will be able to shop and download wirelessly. You do not need to change phone providers or pay for this connection, it's all built-in to the device. You can view a coverage map at attwireless.com.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
ZrZZ
ZrZZ began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can you clarify this question, please!

so its possible to dowload your own pdfs and epubs from your pc?
ZrZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrZZ View Post
Can you clarify this question, please!

so its possible to dowload your own pdfs and epubs from your pc?
You can "sideload" ePUBs and PDFs. Meaning: They go into the documents folder instead of the library folder (exclusively reserved for B&N downloads).
There are some minor disadvantages (*) to books, purchased from B&N: You can't sort by last read and you don't have thumbnails for the covers.

You don't have to purchase from B&N, you can buy from 3rd party as well.

(*) You can "hack" (= softroot) your nook. It's easy and adds tons of features. For example additional sort function and thumbnails for the covers.
And you can simplify the upload process. Not via USB, but via webserver.

.lit is the Microsoft reader format, thus you won't find it on any non-Windows platforms.
BeBook One/Hanlin V3 can read non-DRMed .lit files.
DRMed .lit files you have to strip from DRM (copy protection) and convert to other formats your reader can handle. Very easy process, which even can be automated.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote