Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #31
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
I am amazed that it can be so easy now to roll back the firmware - almost speechless, TBH - when I had been reading about having to rewrite databases. This is the best news, it means I no longer have to deal with the issues new software brings, I can cope with the old known bugs.

THANK YOU!!!
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
I am amazed that it can be so easy now to roll back the firmware - almost speechless, TBH - when I had been reading about having to rewrite databases. This is the best news, it means I no longer have to deal with the issues new software brings, I can cope with the old known bugs.

THANK YOU!!!
After you do this a couple of times, as PeterT said, you get to the point where you have the file and directory names and steps memorized. A while later, you start worrying that you are spending more time fiddling with your ereader than actually reading books on it.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #33
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A while later, you start worrying that you are spending more time fiddling with your ereader than actually reading books on it.

Regards,
David
Yeah, that's already happened.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #34
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sinple solution to that problem; get a second eReader for playing around on. That way you can read on one and fiddle on the other one. I'm sure Kobo would love that!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sinple solution to that problem; get a second eReader for playing around on. That way you can read on one and fiddle on the other one. I'm sure Kobo would love that!
Funny you should say that. I called Kobo last year when I thought my Kobo Touch was dead (it was frozen on the "Powered Off" screen), asking what I should do. The "Customer Service" person's first comment after asking when I bought it (13 months previously) was to say "You should buy a newer model." Yeah, okay.
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 02:45 AM   #36
SirFluff
SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
The 2.8.1 firmware works fine on the Touch I have two touch running it no issue. The problem is that it needs time to do what it does to the sd card. Just sit and wait have a coffee, breakfast or lunch or whatever come back in 15 mins or so and see it working. If you power your reader off automatically you will have to endure this wait time every time you power up. Keep it in sleep mode at all times and you should be fine.

regards

Jack
You do realize there's no excuse for that and that it doesn't work fine at all on the Touch? I got a Touch and I reverted back to 2.5 and my SD card works perfectly and I got little to no delay at all accessing my 100+ books on the card.

If 2.8.1 was working fine you would not wait a horrible 15 minutes before you could read a book, how silly is that anyway, wait 15 minutes before you can read.
SirFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #37
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFluff View Post
You do realize there's no excuse for that and that it doesn't work fine at all on the Touch? I got a Touch and I reverted back to 2.5 and my SD card works perfectly and I got little to no delay at all accessing my 100+ books on the card.

If 2.8.1 was working fine you would not wait a horrible 15 minutes before you could read a book, how silly is that anyway, wait 15 minutes before you can read.
When I had 2.5.2, it was the worst firmware update for my Touch. The wait time to boot up with an SD card was horrific, it froze over random things like shelf creation which needed papercliping, the lag time for page turns of books on the reader was about 4 seconds. I'm not disputing that the firmware works great for you - I'm happy it works for SOMEONE - but for me it was just a nightmare.

I checked my factory installed firmware number, it's 9.6. I've been wondering if people with Touches that have later factory installed firmware do better with these newer updates than those of use with older software.