Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
dudenz
dudenz began at the beginning.

Device: none
price

I just came across the price tag for the iLiad. It is 645 Euros (living in Germany) or $699 (when living in the US).
Wondering if I missed something big on the global market, I asked Google, which said: "1 U.S. dollar = 0.679117148 Euros".
That would make (taking $699 as a base): 474.70 Euros for the iLiad.

I thought it would be shipped from the Netherlands!?

So does anyone know, why this thing is almost 200 Euros more expensive in old Europe?
dudenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenz View Post
So does anyone know, why this thing is almost 200 Euros more expensive in old Europe?
It's not explained very well on their site (like almost not at all), but the European price includes the VAT, and the U.S. price doesn't.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The value of the dollar has gone down 10% wrt the Euro over the past year without the US price changing. So iRex is making less money than they used to on US sales.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
you have to add tax and vat.

Thats 475 * 1,19 *1,10 = 621,78 Euro plus shipping and handling and tax on that aswell.
So its not really more expensive, it just seems that way to us. If you can buy it in the US and skip those taxes, then its not legal, but you can save almost 200e Euros.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That's very likely, but they also have to stay competitive in the market. They're already much higher than the competition, if they raised their rates much more they may lose more from lost sells than per item.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

I hope that with PVI getting those new production facilities ready and PlasticLogic beeing able to mass produce sometime this year, that the prices for eink displays will drop. There needs to be more competition.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
dudenz

Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanations.
@tribble: what other taxes are there besides VAT? Thats is something new to me.
Is that because of import? It shouldn't, should it? ;-)

Well, then I hope too, that other companies will catch on ...
Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac

We have VAT in germany, which is 19%.
Then you have to pay taxes depending on the goods you are importing. I dont know haow the ilLiad is declared, but it would be around 5 to 10 percent is my guess.

And both taxes add to you sales price INCLUDING shipping and handling costs.

And i hope that other eink competitors wll show up soon aswell
Old 01-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
dudenz

mhh, and I always thought there would be no european-import-taxes. Don't we have something like a common "european economy space" (EWR, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europäi...irtschaftsraum ) ...

That there is VAT is perfectly clear. :-)
So after all, the shipping and handling cost seem to be quite a piece of the cake.