Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I don't know Jo Walton either. I can see I should get out more!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks for posting this, Pstjmack. I can't download Josephine Tey because where I live it's Life + 70, but the site seems to have a good collection of older titles. I'll enjoy perusing it.

For those of you who are new to Josephine Tey, I'd recommend you start with The Franchise Affair. I've read several of her books, but that's easily the best (in my opinion).

Mike
I'm glad to have helped out, Mike, not least to a fellow Scot. That said, much as I endorse MobileRead's stand in not countenancing piracy of works still in copyright, Tey's works are public domain, period - correct? Even Australia has changed its rules for current works to Life+70, but this is not retroactive there, and nor should it be anywhere else. Kiwis, meanwhile, get an umabiguous Life+50, and I hope the copyright arbitrage across the Tasman Sea doesn't drive too many Oz media conglomerates to the wall ...
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
I'm glad to have helped out, Mike, not least to a fellow Scot. That said, much as I endorse MobileRead's stand in not countenancing piracy of works still in copyright, Tey's works are public domain, period - correct?
In Australia, yes. Not in the US, or any country in Western Europe. And definitely not in the UK.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
... And I do love The Daughter of Time because I'm a passionate supporter of Richard III and I think it's a brilliant way of getting people to realise that what we think is historical truth isn't necessarily so at all.
I agree.

You should consider giving Richard III: His Life & Character / Reviewed in the light of recent research by Sir Clements R. Markham a read. It PD and available from PG/US as Ebook 36451. It's makes a good compliment to The Daughter of Time, though Tey's approach makes the topic very accessible.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that, dwig - I've just downloaded it.

I think I have enough books waiting to be read, both paper and electronic, to keep me going until I'm about 150!
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #21
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I agree.

You should consider giving Richard III: His Life & Character / Reviewed in the light of recent research by Sir Clements R. Markham a read. It PD and available from PG/US as Ebook 36451. It's makes a good compliment to The Daughter of Time, though Tey's approach makes the topic very accessible.
It's got a lot of Latin in it, both in the text and in the footnotes. I'd nearly finished a version for the MR library, but gave up because I couldn't find anyone to translate for me. If any of you are Latinists and willing to help it would not take long to finish and upload.

Last edited by AlexBell; 09-19-2012 at 01:52 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #22
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Latinandgreek is taking part in the reading of the Aeneid and is reading it in Latin. She might be able to help you when she has finished with Virgil.

(I am totally in awe of her ability to read Latin poetry!)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
It's got a lot of Latin in it, both in the text and in the footnotes. I'd nearly finished a version for the MR library, but gave up because I couldn't find anyone to translate for me. If any of you are Latinists and willing to help it would take long to finish and upload.
Google translate does Latin. It's probably good enough to give a reasonable translation which you can re-word into more elegant English.

EDIT: I've just tried Google's Latin translation, and it's pretty damned good. I gave it the first few lines of the "Aeneid":

Quote:
ARMA virumque cano, Troiae qui primus ab oris
Italiam, fato profugus, Laviniaque venit
litora, multum ille et terris iactatus et alto
vi superum saevae memorem Iunonis ob iram;
multa quoque et bello passus, dum conderet urbem,
inferretque deos Latio, genus unde Latinum,
Albanique patres, atque altae moenia Romae.
and I got back:

Quote:
I sing of arms and the man, who first from the shores of Troy
Italy, exiled by fate, left the Trojan
shores of the sea, tossed about much on both land and sea
account of the mindful wrath of the cruel force of the gods;
He suffered much in war, until he could found a city,
and bring his gods to Latium, whence the Latin race,
Alban fathers and the walls of lofty Rome.
which, although it needs tidying up in a couple of places, is a pretty good translation. I'm sure that Google would be adequate to at least grasp the meaning of the Latin in your book, if you're unfamiliar with the language. I would suggest, though, leaving the original Latin there as well as the translation, for those who can read it.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-18-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just tried Google's Latin translation, and it's pretty damned good. I gave it the first few lines of the "Aeneid"
Harry, I might be totally wrong about this, but I suspect that in this case Google didn't do a word-for-word translation. My guess is that it was clever enough to recognise this as a passage from the Aeneid (because it has indexed hundreds of web pages that contain this text), and it was then able to find other web pages that contain English translations of the Aeneid.

I'd be interested to know what would happen if you gave it a paragraph that you had written yourself. (Try it, why don't you).

If you think I'm talking rubbish, by all means say so.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You may well be right, Mike. I'll dig up something extremely obscure from the Perseus archive and see what it does with that .

I still think, however, that it's at least worth having a go and seeing what the results are like.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #26
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I still think, however, that it's at least worth having a go and seeing what the results are like.
Yes, I agree.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #27
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the links. I've downloaded all of them - greedy little Aussie that I am.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #28
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You may well be right, Mike. I'll dig up something extremely obscure from the Perseus archive and see what it does with that .

I have tried several times, and the result was awful.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #29
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Latinandgreek is taking part in the reading of the Aeneid and is reading it in Latin. She might be able to help you when she has finished with Virgil.

(I am totally in awe of her ability to read Latin poetry!)
Thanks, I'll see if I contact her.