Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Fractalus
Rookie
Fractalus began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903
Not all layouts available after installing FBReader

Hi!
I decided today to jump on the train and try my hands at installing alternative readers and configs, since I already installed the 2.1.2 firmware (or is it? I've read something about 15.3, but I'm probably confusing two different things).
Got the latest (I think) version of FBReader and installed (copied) it, together with the extensions.cfg that went with it.
At least I didn't break anything, but I did not see any difference in reading epubs. Ah well... However, I had the 'Sky' main screen layout before I did all this, and the device reverted to the standard (my device says 'Standart' by the way. Is this because of an error in the Dutch locale?) layout (the first of the three). Could not get the thing to give me Sky. The other two layouts did work normally, however.. So I deleted the file in 'BIN' and the 'extentions.cfg'-file. All went back to normal. I really adore 'Sky'.

Is this a known bug?
How am I supposed to see if I am reading in FBReader, other then obviously different look-and-feel if applicable?
Also, I'm not too happy with the way PDF's are presented and handled at the moment. Speed in particular is bugging me. Any suggestions for a better reader?

I'd would also like to express my thanks for having such a good forum available which is dedicated to devices I have not had the pleasure of dealing with before. I'm no noob when it comes to getting down and dirty with handheld consumer devices, but I'd hate to see my dilettante attempts end in disaster. The forum prevents me in going disastrously wrong!

update: just installed a few extra logo's and the same behaviour returns? Maybe the device doesn't like it if anything else but the defaults is put on it...
Update2: and after editing a logo to have my name and email on it (seemed like a good idea in case of losing the device), again I could not go to Sky. Putting the original back now did not help. Looks like I'm stuck with the layout I don't like. Did a 'clean-up'. No avail... I never thought that changing a picture in the logo directory could have such a detrimental effect on the device. Switching to English language doesn't change anything, either. I'm using FWversion E903.2.1.2 20111202_131731. Next: go to RC6 (I think?)

Last edited by Fractalus; 12-18-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: new observations, mixed up sunny and sky
Fractalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractalus View Post
Update2: and after editing a logo to have my name and email on it (seemed like a good idea in case of losing the device), again I could not go to Sky.
Sorry that I can't help with the issue, but using the logos as a 'return address sticker' seems a jolly good idea to me. Thanks.
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi Fractalus,
when you install a new reading software you haveto tell your dievice to use it. To do so, you've got to modify the "extensions.cfg" file to tell your device that it can use FBreader for Epub files - since you have deleted it, you can just copy it (it is a simple text file) from this thread, and edit the line for Epub accordingly. For instance, if you want to be able to use both adobeviewer and fbreader to read epub you have to edit the text file with the following
Quote:
epub:@EPUB_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,fbreader.app:ICO N_EPUB
To tell the device you want to use Fbreader, make sure you long press the OK button: there you will see a list of reading applications that the device thinks are on the machine (e.g. if you modify the config file with the line
Quote:
epub:@EPUB_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,fbreader.app,mys uperduperreader.app:ICON_EPUB
the context menu will also show "mysuperduperreader", but of course if you select it nothing will happen - for this reason, make sure yo do not make spelling mistakes!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Fractalus
Rookie
Fractalus began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903
Thanks!
Actually, I've just read about the context-menu. Seems the best option to find out if an app is installed correctly.
Also, I should exercise more patience when finishing up one action and moving on the next. I've just found out that the device is still doing stuff even though I am already presented with the main menu. Guess I'm just used to hardware behaving differently. Also, that version just released on the UA forum works like a charm! So, my problems are over (for now )
Fractalus is offline   Reply With Quote