Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
ChildeRoland
ChildeRoland began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Manually add books to KOBO account

Hello there,

My call for help regards manually adding books to the KOBO library.

Does anyone know of a way to add an EPUB file/book to your kobo account and have it registered as a book under your library, equivalent to those purchased. Im speaking of the internet account, not the physical kobo.

My real reason for such is the Blackberry playbook can read any epub file through its kobo app, however i have many a book which i never actually had in my kobo library. Hopefully im being clear and one whom reads this can gather my goal. Thanks
ChildeRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
no. only books purchased from kobo or previewed on the kobobooks site show up in your library.

to view side loaded books you'll need a different e-reader app to let you read any book you load onto your playbook. as for what they are i have no clue? maybe stanza or a quick google search for an epub app.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
You might want to consider Calibre to sideload your other ebooks into your Kobo ebook software, though that would depend if support extends to the playbook

Last edited by sabredog; 04-27-2011 at 01:02 AM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The Kobo app on the Android tablets has an 'Import Content' item in its Tools menu. It will find books loaded on the internal card and add them to the its library. I'd be surprised if the Playbook app didn't have something similar somewhere.

If you get tired of looking, send it to me so I can try looking for it
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
On the iPod/iPhone app, you can add epubs through iTunes to the Kobo app.

Have done a quick google and it appears that the Playbook app doesn't yet support sideloading epubs. Since it's available on the other platforms, you would hope this is something they add quickly.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I don't think you can.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Also on the iPhone/iPad you can use DropBox to open ePubs or PDFs in Kobo. Maybe that will percolate to the Playbook if it hasn't already?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
I just side-loaded an epub book into the "books" folder on the PlayBook and opened it just fine in the Kobo reader...let's try to know what we're talking about when we're answering someone's question with a definitive "no, it can't/won't work" - thanks.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
I just side-loaded an epub book into the "books" folder on the PlayBook and opened it just fine in the Kobo reader...let's try to know what we're talking about when we're answering someone's question with a definitive "no, it can't/won't work" - thanks.
the question wasn't about side loading, in the OP we were asked

Quote:
Does anyone know of a way to add an EPUB file/book to your kobo account and have it registered as a book under your library, equivalent to those purchased. Im speaking of the internet account, not the physical kobo.
and the answer to that is no you cannot add books that aren't purchased from kobo into your library on the kobo website.

as for side loading, that's an entirely different question and is easy to do from one device to another.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
I was writing based on this thread on Crackberry: http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/kobo-epub-605340/ - one post in the thread states that they called Kobo support and were told that side-loading isn't possible. Also, another person tried putting a book in the books folder and it didn't work. Of course, it is possible that the software has been updated since the release?
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Briand
Briand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Can you tell us how you did that. I would like a playbook, but not if I can't load my non-kobo ebooks to read on the device.

Thanks
Brian
Briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
M2Schibs
M2Schibs began at the beginning.

Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
I would also like to know how you side loaded a book into Kobo on the playbook. Can you please share the steps you used?
M2Schibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
hemisphire
Connoisseur
hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, HP Pre2, Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
and the answer to that is no you cannot add books that aren't purchased from kobo into your library on the kobo website.
Unless you've previously ordered eBooks from Borders US. Go here to see instructions on how to merger your Borders US into your Kobo library (Borders is now outsourcing all eBook and eReader support to Kobo).
hemisphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
EngGladiator
EngGladiator began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo - Android Phone
I know the thread is old, but I tried to find the answer here unsuccessfully... but I did figure out how to do it. I moved the epub file into my Android downloads from my desktop, and then used the import function in the Kobo reader.
EngGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #15
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Alternately you import your ebooks into Calibre and then side load onto the device.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote