Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
dwmurray57
dwmurray57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question How to move Calibre epubs to Kobo device?

Hi all,

I am picking up my Kobo Wireless this week and I wondered if any of you have a sure way to move my books (ePub / pdf files) on Calibre to Kobo with minimal problems?

I read a few threads were some of the users are discussing issues with corrupted .db file. Am I to think that I need to look forward to this type of problem as well?

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Doug!
dwmurray57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I have used calibre since I bought my Kobo in July and have never had a problem with the database because of it. It is a simple program to manage epubs and a pleasure to use.

If you do have problems with the database (and my wife has had a kobo as long as me and never has had a problem and mine were really my fault for trying to tweak where I shouldn't have been and a problem with an old desktop app which has since been updated) the new Kobos let you restore it to the original settings quite simply through the menu.

Welcome to Mobile reads!
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

I have also had my Kobo for a few months now and have had no problems with using Calibre to load epubs to it although it can take some fiddling to get the margins etc. to your liking with some books.
I have also used Adobe Digital Editions to borrow library books.

The database is used for the preloaded books and books you purchase via the desktop app.
Books loaded via Calibre are .epub files

Happy reading!
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmurray57 View Post
Hi all,

I am picking up my Kobo Wireless this week and I wondered if any of you have a sure way to move my books (ePub / pdf files) on Calibre to Kobo with minimal problems?

I read a few threads were some of the users are discussing issues with corrupted .db file. Am I to think that I need to look forward to this type of problem as well?

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Doug!
I suspect but I have no real proof that many of the issues with the database have been the result of removing the device from the PC without doing a safely remove hardware.

The few people I have asked have confirmed that the did not remove their device safely.

The rest of the issues are probably related to pushing large libraries to the device. It should not happen but it does. Again, it my be that people are not waiting for the writing to the USB device to finish.

I have been developing the driver and have put my device through more stress than most and I have been unable to duplicate the issue of corrupt database.

For the most part calibre does little with the database during the copy of books to the device. When the copy is complete it updates the Reading list. That is it...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
dwmurray57
dwmurray57 began at the beginning.

Hi All,

Thank you for all your responses I picked up my Kobo, plugged it in and Calibre was very happy to talk to it. Moving content to the Kobo was as simple as select and click on DEVICE button.

Cheers,

Doug!

P.S. Does anyone know of a quick guide to getting magazine (daily newspapers) to Kobo? I presume that this can be done via Calibre as well? Any ideas?
dwmurray57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Explore the Fetch News icon.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote